Forged Kettle/Billy hangers!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
it saves u a few quid on a fire pit , did he cut the sides oot ...

You have a PM so as not to hijack Launditch's thread. :)

does that hold the kettle no bother ,

The main spike could of been a bit longer for extra sturdiness TBH, but dont forget it is a 7 litre kettle, so a normal sized kettle/billy/pot would be fine.

As you can see from the photos, angling it back assisted in holding the weight

HTH

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
PICT2870.jpg

Arrived safe and sound, brill bit of kit, perfect size and works like a charm. Many thanks. :)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Mine turned up this morning and I am loving it. It's a really nice bit of work with some really fine curved points on the end of it, which are very well done. I also got a great flint stiker which is made out of an old file & still has the files criss-cross finish on it, which is very good a making sparks, so I can recommend these. I did not have time to have a play with my new toys today but plan to spend the afternoon in a wood on top of the South Downs with a fire & billy on the go.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Gave mine a go this afternoon & it is a lot of fun. Iy took a while to figure out to set it at the right height but it certainly works. Here are a couple of pictures of it about to be used for the first time. The first is set up over my portable fire pit (AKA a folding BBQ stand & Tesco's baking tray) & also shows how you can use it hang your coat on while setting up camp...

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 172

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I know it was touched on slightly in this thread but have you thought / looked at doing a spit roasting kit?

Well funny you should mention that. I had visions of sitting round a campfire with a fat juicy chicken roasting away on the pot hanger arm (bit with the U shaped hanger on it). Now that I have the kit you find that the arm actually points up into the air at 45 degrees; this is a good thing if you want to hang dutch ovens, large kettles and other heavy bits of camp cookware on it (which it was probably designed for), so any chicken would slide down the pole. I am not saying it can't be done, I will just have to figure out the best way of doing it. I figured that if you put the pot holder arm on the opposite way to normal, with the U shaped pot holder at the back, then you could use the U shaped bit as a handle to turn the pole with, so the roasting meat is also turned (if you see what I mean). It's probably just a question of leaning the 'stand' rod back at 45 degrees so that the pot holder arm is horizontal. A pair of spit roast meat holder things would then be all you need to keep the meat from moving along or twisting on the bar as it was turned. This will need work work I can see... Good bit of kit though.

I am thinking that a half height (15" instaed of 30") upright would be usefull to have as well, as it would let me have the eye loop bit nearer to ground level which would let me have the pot holder arm coming up & over the back of the fire. Dont know if I have explained that right but I know what I want & will PM launditch1 about this. That would be a more usefull travelling set for me & would fit in my pack better.

Nov 7, 2008
U.K
Well funny you should mention that. I had visions of sitting round a campfire with a fat juicy chicken roasting away on the pot hanger arm (bit with the U shaped hanger on it). Now that I have the kit you find that the arm actually points up into the air at 45 degrees; this is a good thing if you want to hang dutch ovens, large kettles and other heavy bits of camp cookware on it (which it was probably designed for), so any chicken would slide down the pole. I am not saying it can't be done, I will just have to figure out the best way of doing it. I figured that if you put the pot holder arm on the opposite way to normal, with the U shaped pot holder at the back, then you could use the U shaped bit as a handle to turn the pole with, so the roasting meat is also turned (if you see what I mean). It's probably just a question of leaning the 'stand' rod back at 45 degrees so that the pot holder arm is horizontal. A pair of spit roast meat holder things would then be all you need to keep the meat from moving along or twisting on the bar as it was turned. This will need work work I can see... Good bit of kit though.

I am thinking that a half height (15" instaed of 30") upright would be usefull to have as well, as it would let me have the eye loop bit nearer to ground level which would let me have the pot holder arm coming up & over the back of the fire. Dont know if I have explained that right but I know what I want & will PM launditch1 about this. That would be a more usefull travelling set for me & would fit in my pack better.

Could you not drill a small hole in it and insert a small metal rod about 4mm diameter to hold the chicken in place ?

just a thought

regards,Jordan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE