lymes disease

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebirth

Oct 25, 2009
In a barrel, in a field
A friend of mind got Lyme disease down in Wales, had to have antibiotics for months, was unable to work and even now nearly a year later is only able to work part time. The doctors didn't diagnose it for a couple of weeks and by then the full wrath and fury of Lymes had kicked in. After seeing this first hand it is now habit for me to smoke out any natural shelters, check clothes, bedding, body etc, prevention far outweighs the remedy.

stickler

Mar 24, 2010
Hampshire
A friend of mind got Lyme disease down in Wales, had to have antibiotics for months, was unable to work and even now nearly a year later is only able to work part time. The doctors didn't diagnose it for a couple of weeks and by then the full wrath and fury of Lymes had kicked in. After seeing this first hand it is now habit for me to smoke out any natural shelters, check clothes, bedding, body etc, prevention far outweighs the remedy.

I noticed a tick on my leg towards the end of a shower. It didn't look like a tick (though I had no idea at the time what they did look like!). I yanked it out, wondering why it 'stuck' and 'stung' as I pulled it out. Then a rash came up which I thought was just an allergic reaction or something so slapped on some antiseptic cream.

Since then I've had painful joints, sore muscles and deep pains in my bones. I get breathless, can't walk uphill and have many other 'problems'. My liver and kidneys don't function properly according to the latest tests and following other tests (cos my memory has become so bad) I'm told that I now have dementia.

A short while ago the rash on my leg came back and was a tad sore/itchy. My ankle and knee joints were so painful......then the pain hit my bones and muscles. I could hardly walk for 2-3 months ad when I could walk it was slow and painful.

It was so bad one day that I went into hospital where they told me what they thought it was and gave me some tablets....though as I have little memory I can't recall everything and can't remember what he chap said, though it was something to do with burst blood vessels.

But I then went to see my doctor within a few days, who is brilliant! She viewed the photos of the rash on my leg and immediately sent me for tests for Lyme disease. But, all too late according to her! It hadn't been 'stopped' soon enough and the infection (or whatever it is) was in me and she said all they could now do was treat the resultant symptoms as they cropped up.

So, AFAIAA, once you've really got it, you've got it!! If you are in the early stage and catch it, then antibiotics can stop it in its tracks, from my understanding. Though, I could be wrong! But I do not appreciate being referred to in such strong terms as 'Doc' has used and I think perhaps his/her bedside manner could be improved upon to help us offer info/experiences rather than hinder us from relating them. If later technology or changes in medical practice have altered what I was told, then so be it........but perhaps we could be just politely informed rather than made to look like a liar?

Stickler :-(

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm sorry you've had such a bad time with Lyme, Stickler, and your story is helpful because it will encourage others to be 'Lyme aware'. Some people with late stage Lyme are left with ongoing symptoms.

But that doesn't mean that 'Lyme Disease is not treatable' - there is a lot of published evidence that shows that it is. For early stage Lyme, the usual outcome is complete cure. I can provide references to published scientific evidence to back this up.

I never suggested you were a liar. I never criticised you at all.

There is so much misleading information on Lyme on the net, and this can cause harm, so I'm sorry if I was bit too direct.

A good example is that there have been posts on here advocating removing ticks by applying meths, tobacco juice, etc. As you rightly pointed out in your first post, this isn't a good idea.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
This thread has opened my eyes a little. Again it is also testement to the knowledge of members of our group.
Having read all the posts, i am now aware and will remain so. It also explains the constant rash on the less hairy parts of my border terriers fleshy private parts. What should i do?

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
And here's one of the blighters in all his glory, picked up on Loch Sheil.

PS the photos' not life sized!

106.jpg

stickler

Mar 24, 2010
Hampshire
My aim in posting here was simply to reinforce the message about Lyme disease so that more people become aware. I don't intend getting into personal arguments, but I just thought that Doc's response didn't do anything to further the cause and provided no explanation for us to consider. If it had been differently worded then I wouldn't have responded as I did.

That aside, I understand that a pharmaceutical company will be holding a tick awareness month this year, though the suggestion is that it will be aimed at vets and/or the medical profession.....not the public. We'll have to wait and see.

What concerns me about the intended market is that some of those professions need to be made aware. (Why aren't they already 'aware'?). What drugs/treatment the pharm. co. will be selling and whether it's anything new, I have no idea. But they must regard it as being worthwhile for their interests, unless their intention is purely charitable. For it to be worthwhile, there must be enough cases to justify the expense, or perhaps the 'treatment' is expensive? The BADA site reckons that 3,000 people get Lyme's each year - that's 8 a day.

I don't know and I'm not here to judge. My intention is simply to make more people aware of Lyme disease, what to look out for, how to remove ticks safely and how to get proper & timely treatment if necessary.

There are a lot of notions in people's minds: I have been asked where I went to in Dorset to have caught Lyme's!! Well, I haven't been there for many years and the tick I got was 'local', LOL! It may be that many years ago Lyme's was confined to that area, but the spread of host animals (particularly deer) has meant that it is much wider.

I now have a poster in my car and display 2 in the side windows when parking at our local country park which is visted by people from many miles away - a visiting Spanish family were there yesterday. I've run off some cards to try to get people to visit the relevant page on my website and at BADA. I will be handing them out at all the shoots I attend as well as to all the dog-walkers I meet.

The mother of a gamekeeper friend has been very ill through Lyme's. I don't suppose she will mind handing out some cards either and I will run off 'posters' for any of my beating collegues if they want to put them in their cars. Some of the beaters I meet go beating at shoots that I don't attend, so I hope they may take some cards with them and distribute them.

The document (a label template) I use has a slight problem in that a blank page follows the complete one and I can't find out how to delete it/the info on it. Once I can, I will put it on my website for people to download and print if they wish. Cut out the cards and distribute......and we can all make people more aware of this horrible disease and how to reduce the risks or prevent it.

Stickler

PS. there's now a PDF file available from http://www.shootpics.co.uk/lyme_disease.html - just go the foot of the page and click the link on the right for 'save & print the shootpics tick cards'.

Last edited:

stickler

Mar 24, 2010
Hampshire
This thread has opened my eyes a little. Again it is also testement to the knowledge of members of our group.
Having read all the posts, i am now aware and will remain so. It also explains the constant rash on the less hairy parts of my border terriers fleshy private parts. What should i do?

That sounds more like skin mites (or something similar) that have been irritating your dog....and s/he has been chewing at them. A visit to the vets might be advisable. Perhaps it's an allergy?

Personally, I use Thornit, and just rub it in very lightly, or put some vaseline on my finger (within a plastic bag!) and then dab it in the Thornit. My dawg was dragging his bum on the ground, despite having been wormed. Thornit in Vaseline did the trick!!

Just Google 'thornit' and you'll find lots of suppliers, though in large quantity it can be bought as 'earclear' more cheaply in some cases. (It's widely used as a prevention for ear mites/canker......my vet recommends it as a prevention which I rub into my dog's ears/paws......but he does not recommend it as a cure for canker. But my father has used it for probably +40 years [or since it was first invented and written about in a newspaper] and swears by it. His chemist used to make it up......but these days it's a problem buying the ingredients.....so Thornit can be the answer).

Your vet should perhaps be the first course of action. (The rash on my leg where I was tick-bitten only comes up occasionally.....it's not there constantly. But I have no experience of a dog/animal with Lyme's - only humans).

Stickler

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I came back from Scotland with a tick on me (no idea how long)

it dropped off yesterday.

just a red spot, no pain, but Ill keep an eye on it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE