Wanted: Hammock 'Slap Straps'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
The tape on my hammock snapped the other day, while I was lying in it drinking a cup of tea, so I am after a new way of hanging my hammock up. I like the idea of those Slap Straps so I am after a set if anyone has some. Thanks

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
I just got a set of ratchet load straps from Lidl.
The set had 4 x 5mtr ratchet straps and 2 x 2.5mtr cam straps all for £8.

I took off the hook off one of the 5mtr straps and then tied some figure 8 knots in it. job done.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just out of interest, which tapes were they that snapped ?

Were they tied off with a loop and then more tape taken to the tree ?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
They were 20mm nylon straps that I got off the bay, which were supposed to take up to 500Kg or similar. The weird thing was that it went in the middle, 2 meters up from the crab, on a part of the tape that looked good; it had no signs of ware, cuts or whatever on it. I know that the force on the ropes can be more than you think due to the angle of the rope etc.. but it was a surprise when it went. The tea I was drinking at the time had cooled off & there was only a third of a mug left but it was till a shock when I ended up on my ar*e covered in tea... could have been worse & I always check for stones, logs & other things iunder the hammock that I would not want to land on if the rope goes or my knots fail.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
The tape was tied to the trees at both ends with an evenk knot, with the tape as flat on the tree as I can get it (not always easy when the tape is above your head on a thick tree). The other end by the hammock has a couple of loops that go onto the crabs, which are linked to the hammock spreader bar, which sits inside a metre of 25mm tube tape.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I was thinking of getting me some of that tubetape like this that the slackliner's use, as you have suggested but I thought I would give the slap straps a go. I hear that not everyone likes them but am not sure exactly why yet.... If I dont get on with them then I will get some tube tape & pass them on to someone else on here. I just like the idea of their quick setup & easy adjustability.

jimjolli

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2008
london
I just got some Slap Straps Pro from the U.S. from a company called Going Gear. The Pros are longer than the standard ones and I couldn't find anywhere in the U.K. that sold them. They worked out at about £25 posted and arrived in about a week. I tested them out this weekend and they are great, I think definitely worth the money.
I like the idea of buying the cheap ratchet straps and tying knots in them. Why didn't I think of that.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for your input on this. I will try the ones I have bought and see how I get on with them as I do love my hammock. I spent a couple of hours basking in the sunlight in a wood on top of the downs this afternoon while lying in it rwading a book. Great stuff.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Got my straps in the post today & they are the Pro version, so I am happy. Big thanks to unsponsored for sorting me out with a set. Turns out they are the Pro set, so I am pleased about that. Cant wait till the weekend to give them a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE