Poundland Gear (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
The emergency Shelter.

A massive 8 x 5 foot (so it says, i never measured it).
Comes with 20 foot of cord, but no pegs.
182 Grams

You'd probably be better off using the cord to tie one end off and using it as a big bivvi because pegged out as a tent, it aint gonna last.

4517941368_22faf113b9_o.jpg

4517941488_18618d4f1f_o.jpg

Erm, don't plan on using it twice!

=====

Kip mat

Comes in a variety of "Bright"!
80x50x5cm
126 Grams

Not the best but, reckon it'll be ok for summer

4517307031_51818694dd_o.jpg

=====

Selection of Fish Hooks and Swivels

Comes in a handy little plastic box.

Can't go wrong for quid!

4517941238_0598966f42_o.jpg

=====

Groundsheet

Comes in Green or Blue
Made from woven plastic type material (think 'builders tarp')
4 eyelets up each 'long' side
2 x 1 mtr
166 Grams

Quite tough, couldn't rip it!

4517307085_3b58671d70_o.jpg

=====

Folding Grill

17 x 23 cm
174 Grams
(if you dump the folding handle and use your pot lifter (which i assume you're carrying already), it's 86 grams)
Comes in a tough plastic pouch so you can keep it away from the rest of your gear
I like this, can't wait to try it!

4517941544_bba6bfcaf8_o.jpg

=====

Tent Pegs
Steel
Pack of 10

=====

Space Blanket 2 for a quid

=====

Fishing Pole

8 Foot
AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE
I broke it before i got it home!

=====

(IMO) It's well worth getting the grill, Ground Sheet, Tent Pegs (if you need them) and the Fish Hooks And Swivels.

The rest, your milage might vary...

Last edited:

Jakata

Dec 16, 2009
Northampton
That grill looks like just what I was going to have a go at making myself. It would probably cost me more than a pound in materials!

Though I will still make an all singing all dancing grill at some point!

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
That grill looks like just what I was going to have a go at making myself. It would probably cost me more than a pound in materials!
Though I will still make an all singing all dancing grill at some point!

I think that's definitely the star of the show.
Big enought to do a couple of pieces of bacon and some sausage.
I'm going to try it tonight! :D

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i like that folding grill!
and the ground sheet is good too, always useful to have a light but waterproof sheet ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good idea for a budget kit thread :approve:

I bought one of the grills last year...........it took me an age to figure out how the handle was supposed to fit :sigh:.......never even gave the pot lifter a thought :rolleyes: :D

On the plus side, it's sturdy enough, doesn't fall apart and it slips away tidily :D
I was tempted to get two of them and split ring them together so I could just turn stuff over in the grill.

I think I'm going to have one of those groundsheets, just 'cos it looks useful :)

I got the space blankets last time round too, and since they weigh nothing I put one into all the hiking rucksacs. Just in case's.

cheers,
Toddy

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
If you know any builders, the handles off broken builders buckets make great tent pegs. 2 per handle :)

That is genius! the number of buckets i've binned, i never once saw a tent peg in one of them...until now!

Last edited:

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
I use the folding grill to suspend the coals in my forge :p

I should probably think about replacing it though as its getting pretty melted after its 4th use.

And for those fishy folk...I have caught loads of fish on their spinners and tobies. If you see them then grab a few mixed packets. I caught nothing but sea trout and pollock last year on the west coast when using them in the sea. :lmao:

Try the blue and silver or green and silver tobies for the sea trout and pollock and the the wee spinners were great for mackies. Incidently if you buy the spinners with the feather or fur tails, they are real catchers when it comes to perch and wild brownies....goodjob.

Put it this way, qualty spinners or tobies cost around £3 and upwards for a small one. And you do lose them often if you are fishing a lot esp when you are learning. You can't go wrong for a pack of 4 or 5 for £1...in the poundshop:eek:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I spotted a whistle/compass/matchholder thing in Poundland the other day - has anybody bought one?
The space blanket looks useful, as does the (admittedly smallish) tarp. Most of the stuff in Poundland is tat, but I would recommend the inflatable pillow (which got a good review in Trail last year) and the 9 LED torches (when they have them). Blacks are knocking them out for £4, so a bargain.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, king's lynn pound land has the 9 led torches in bought 2 today (very good) back tomorrow for a pillow and maybe a torch or two. later carl ps one of the shops in town is selling the same torches for £6.99

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Poundshop telscopic rods are obviously cheaply made, but still serviceable enough:

knoydart139.jpg

The reels may be a different story though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE