Looks like new Ray Mears on TV this May

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
His latest series' have just been nice travelogues and free holidays for him. I've almost given up watching them. Almost. ;)

95 percent agreement with this.
Think of all the pioneers he could follow in the footsteps of and he ends up doing something that Attenborough has covered ten times during his one thousand year old career.
Sorry Ray should stick to bushcraft and survival.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I wasnt aware he ever did that well either. I first thought he was finally going to prove me wrong and go for BG's rating but it appears he is still desperately after john cravens job.

I used to like survival when it was done by itv and was a subject rich wildlife program. I have a horrible feeling this is going to be a wildlife poor presenter program. I'll record it as usual but have a feeling it'll remain unwatched like his last series on whatever it was.

he is much better presenting the one show with christine

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah, but its meant to be wildlife poor, show the public the need for preserving it.

No one does progs on funky successfull animals do they?

Like the Raccoon Dog, a wee creature from China with a Han Style population policy.

Just the other week a Cryptozoologist friend from Sweden was puzzling over a roadkill one.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I wasnt aware he ever did that well either. I first thought he was finally going to prove me wrong and go for BG's rating but it appears he is still desperately after john cravens job.

I used to like survival when it was done by itv and was a subject rich wildlife program. I have a horrible feeling this is going to be a wildlife poor presenter program. I'll record it as usual but have a feeling it'll remain unwatched like his last series on whatever it was.

he is much better presenting the one show with christine

Perhaps its better to watch that last series Dave and then criticise ?

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Perhaps its better to watch that last series Dave and then criticise ?

Was it that canada thing? I think I watched half of one on the bbc1 late night deaf repeats but the reviews from others didnt give much in the way of inspiration and it certainly didnt grip me.

I can see what he wants to get out of the shows but I think its either his tony blair presentation technique that maybe puts me off a lot of what he's doing or the commercial market editing. If he did something with the OU or timewatch crews we could actually get a good, informative and educational program instead of the dumbed down output. He obviously wants to present and has a good narrative voice so I reckon he could do okay if he can draw a line under his previous stuff and start afresh.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Was it that canada thing? I think I watched half of one on the bbc1 late night deaf repeats but the reviews from others didnt give much in the way of inspiration and it certainly didnt grip me.

I can see what he wants to get out of the shows but I think its either his tony blair presentation technique that maybe puts me off a lot of what he's doing or the commercial market editing. If he did something with the OU or timewatch crews we could actually get a good, informative and educational program instead of the dumbed down output. He obviously wants to present and has a good narrative voice so I reckon he could do okay if he can draw a line under his previous stuff and start afresh.

Watching half of one episode hardly qualifies you to criticise I'd say? If his programmes were designed to suit only 'hard core' bushcrafters they would fail to attract an audience large enough to justify the cost of producing the show. I would guess the percentage of his viewers who are 'bushcrafters' to be tiny with the vast majority being made up of joe public who enjoy his style and content.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd disagree.
I only need to watch half an episode of something like 'X-Factor', 'Pop-Star to Opera Star' etc to know it's not for me.

I only need to eat half the wife 'special-exotic-anniversary-dinner' to know its not to my liking.

Why would i go back for seconds???

Oh,yes -- self preservation.

Rich^uk

Feb 4, 2010
England
I enjoyed his later stuff. I find it all intresting to watch even if it was something i previously wouldn't think of watching. :240:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE