Penderyn - the Welsh Whisky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
To be honest I was rather disappointed in Penderyn and have retreated to a Speyside or, failing that, an Island Malt. I thought it lacked complexity and depth.

Pussers is always a good standy mind...........

Richard

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I like it. If any one wants to taste it, you can indulge for next to nothing in your nearest weatherspoons. Or at least you can around here.

I will certainly buy another bottle, in fact I might treat my self to a bottle before I go off to the states.

leon-1

Someone mentioned it on here about six years ago Red. I started drinking it back then. Be aware though that there are about four versions of the whisky.

Merlin which is a cream based whisky liquer is pretty good as well. The vodka ain't half bad and nor is the gin.

I had to try them all just out of curiosity :D

Best bet is to trip along to their website it has a where to buy section where you load in your location and it will tell you where to buy near you. In my case it's in town at Tesco's for the normal Penderyn. You can also buy online and have it sent to you (which is how I started).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tesco of all places is where I stumbled across it. Just the ordinary one but not a bad price of £30.

The view of the room was not bad, but not superb last night. Certainly a respectae drop, bot no Caol Ila

Must try the English one at some point

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Tesco of all places is where I stumbled across it. Just the ordinary one but not a bad price of £30.

The view of the room was not bad, but not superb last night. Certainly a respectae drop, bot no Caol Ila

Must try the English one at some point

I like it; but then I like to try a range of malts. I wouldn't even compare it to Caol Ila; it's a different drink. It should be or there would be no substance to the theory that the whisky takes on the taste of the distillery. I would be disappointed if a whisky distilled at the bottom of a cliff facing the Sound of Islay (worth a visit if you gaven't been, and don't miss Bunnahabhain while you're there) was comparable to one distilled in the rolling hills of Wales.

I think Penderyn stands as a worthwhile malt; different and not to everyone's tastes but then a lot of Lowland Whiskies aren't to mine.

But, the great thing about Whisky is there is something for everyone :)

Cheers,

Broch
(I think I might pour myself a cask strength Caol Ila, or a nice sherry finished Bunnahabhain, or a Talisker... damn, can't make up my mind now!)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Penderyn is one of my favorite whiskeys, right alongside: Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Talisker, Jura...

I first fell in love with Spayside whiskey when we stayed at
Lochindorb Lodge, near Grantown-on-spey. Some friends went on the whiskey run and we smpled the wares when they returned. Each glass was tasted neat, then with water then with soda - seeing how the flavour changed.

Needless to say i got completely hammered :eek:

The Islay malts came later when i sailed to Jura, then on to Skye in the fog - i needed a drink after that :)

Not that i'm an alchy or anything, but i have yet to find a whiskey i hate - even a sour mash like JD

Slainte

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE