Bear Grylls disciple...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

galew

Tenderfoot
I don't know, anyone that believes that Bear is a survival expert better rethink that position. Most of his stuff on the TV would be better called BS. No one should ever take any un-necessary risks during a real survival situation. His running, jumping, climbing etc. should never be done especially if alone and not immediate help available.

Hello
This poor guy tried advice from Bear Grylls,apparently it didn't work....

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co...-mud-trap/article-1916593-detail/article.html

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
I don't know, anyone that believes that Bear is a survival expert better rethink that position. Most of his stuff on the TV would be better called BS. No one should ever take any un-necessary risks during a real survival situation. His running, jumping, climbing etc. should never be done especially if alone and not immediate help available.

he takes the risks to give the programe abit of a life,hes ex SAS mate thats survival training at its best:confused: it seems to be the inthing for older scout types to cuss him

galew

Tenderfoot
The problem is that people may try the things he does and injure or kill themselves needlessly. Sure he may have great survival training, but I have not seen much of it on his shows. How about drinking water from elephant dung, and most of the bugs he eats are raw, how many people will die from dehydration trying things like that and developing the runs?

he takes the risks to give the programe abit of a life,hes ex SAS mate thats survival training at its best:confused: it seems to be the inthing for older scout types to cuss him

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
The problem is that people may try the things he does and injure or kill themselves needlessly. Sure he may have great survival training, but I have not seen much of it on his shows. How about drinking water from elephant dung, and most of the bugs he eats are raw, how many people will die from dehydration trying things like that and developing the runs?

true what you say but i think he did say if it was life or death situation you can get some sort of nutrition from elephant dung so if your going to die anyway you may aswell give it a shot:eek:,did you see the one where he got stung by the bee that was funy

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
I'll more than likley get flamed for this but here goes:-

Bear just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Yes his exploits are a bit excessive at times, Most of us on here have practiced or read information to try to survive in a situation out of our control. As Barry Davies says (Survival is a dying art) But what you see Bear doing is what some normal members of Joe Public will try. They will try to walk out of the situation.

Over the last few years some people who found themsefls in a dire situation, Did not stay put and wait for help, they made there way out Jungle or Desert. One of those incidents was a load of Squaddies with bit of time served in the jungle, when it hits the fan people will always do what suites them, they need to feel they are doing someting wether it's right or wrong. Only being in That situation will you know. If Bear did each week just sat waiting for thye rescue services, people would comment on that also.

What Bear as done is bring "Bushcraft/Survival" to a new audience, we had Lofty, Ray, Les H they all have there own way of getting things across to us

I think I remember Lofty went across the Irish see on inflated sheeps skins, Les Hidens when across a croc river with a poncho stuffed with foilage and Ray well I think I saw him once not wearing his bouyancy aid.

Hugh Fernley whittinstal may have contributed to more problems than Bear, what with collecting Mushrooms !!

Basha72... Out

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
its fatal when you sink up to your waist in the sand and the tide is coming in.

must point out this irony: Gary Ellis.... if there was a B in there it would be perfect...

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
"I think she thought I was having a laugh and she put the phone down on me but when I rang her back and she heard the panic in my voice I think she realised I was serious."

Yeah, right! She probably took the opportunity:lmao:

Rebirth

Oct 25, 2009
In a barrel, in a field
Lets be fair about this, pretty much most survival books, tv shows etc state that if caught in a situation like this your best option is to distribute your weight, now this guy was under the influence and we have no idea if he actually managed to distribute his weight or if he just struggled and flapped about. He could of easily said i saw a ray mears program or read a sas book. If i was i in the same situation i would of tried the same thanks to many sources saying its the best chance for survival, but i would of called 999 for help not me bird for a cosy chat.
I wouldnt of tried eating the mud though where as BG probably would.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
hang on.....

man falls in mud and is scared for his life

practices technique learnt from tv show

man lives and is rescued

what exactly didnt work about that survival technique? he survived therefore it worked. no?

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
man falls in mud without phone
man dies
man dug up 1000 years in future and put on display in museum.

so dont bother with survival if you have a signal and you survive...

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
The tv show ort to be called Bear Grylls extreme evations. Has nothing to do with "survival" or living in nature for an unknown period unto social security is reestablished.
I wont even go into details as almost everything he does on cam is exploidtation tv, eating bugs, cheating death and raw action. Ill just highlight rule number one of "survival": DONT GET INJURED, which he purposely breakes all the time and in the best cases only leads to fatigue. A state he reaches far more often than the clips on he's tv shows seems to reweal, but that the trained eye clearly spots. Using he's tehnicques will steadely increase your risk of getting injured for every step you take!
The only way i would use any of he's techniques in "survival" was if i was being huntet.

I beleave there is a straight line from the above to the man in the mud, as "survival" rule nr 1 would not have let him to enduse an overdose of alcohol, crosing unknown territory, with known dangers, in the dark while presumble somewhat fatigued and alone. I hardly doubt this man is interrested in "survival" techniques but just saw a entertaining tv show. I would not apply showwrestling for a streetfight. I beleave its very wrong they sell the show as survivell techniques and pretends to teach when its all just for entertaiment purpose.
I know if that Bear Grylls tought the above on tv it would be like reading Scouting for boys and the vast majority of TV targeted audience would find it educational and unentertaining making it childish or nerdish.

I dont beleave the tehcnique is the real problem here. Tv and the people who watch it is.

Last edited:

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
The tv show ort to be called Bear Grylls extreme evations. Has nothing to do with "survival" or living in nature for an unknown period unto social security is reestablished.
I wont even go into details as almost everything he does on cam is explortation tv, eating bugs, cheating death and raw action. Ill just highlight rule number one of "survival": DONT GET INJURED, which he purposely breakes all the time and in the best cases only leads to fatigue. A state he reaches far more often than the clips on he's tv shows seems to reweal, but that the trained eye clearly spots. Using he's tehnicques will steadely increase your risk of getting injured for every step you take!
The only way i would use any of he's techniques in "survival" was if i was being huntet.

I beleave there is a straight line from the above to the man in the mud, as "survival" rule nr 1 would not have let him to enduse an overdose of alcohol, crosing unknown territory, with known dangers, in the dark while presumble somewhat fatigued and alone. I hardly doubt this man is interrested in survival techniques but just saw a smart tv show. I would not apply showwrestling for fighting. I beleave its very wrong they sell the show as survivell techniques and pretends to teach when its all just for entertaiment purpose.
I know if that Bear Grylls tought the above on tv it would be like reading Scouting for boys and the vast majority of TV targeted audience would find it "boring and uncool".

I dont beleave the tehcnique is the real problem here. Tv and the people who watch it is.

I'm defiantly with you on this one, he's not trained to survive in the natural environment. he's trained to evade capture, head into caves etc.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
He's good at what he does - Very short term survival. But don't forget that he has never been trained for long term survival. He clearly states that his purpose is to get out of a survival situation as fast as possible. That is what he has been trained to do.

Although, I do think they should change the title. To bear grylls Escape.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
As an active member of TASAS he would have been trained for long term unsupported opperations in a multitude of enviroments with varying levels of equipment, but as a tv show he does his job, something to watch that at times is quite funny!

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
My neck of the woods and about a mile away, I go across there quite a bit and its certainly hostile terrain, I must say that at least he remembered to try something, it didnt work because he was too far in and it wouldnt have been a proper mud flat but mainly sticky water as they've been laying drainage and allsorts, gloucester this low down is very sticky clay not mud. so the BG technique was right but in the wrong place. for that he would have been better to undo his zip, shove his hands in his pockets and open his jacket out to increase his surface area.

just shows that people remember what they learn from the BG show which has to be a good thing whether it works or not. the fact that he was ****** up would have ruined any reaction time so he was probably stood there going down and wondering why.

cant remember RM giving any usefull advice on the subject even when he filmed on the severn estuary but then this fella probably wouldnt have the patience to sit through a full episode anyway. probably a crap call for anyone as you cant tell just what you are up against and 99% of people would hesitate before throwing themselves further into a giant cold wet muddy puddle. I bet theyve stuck silly tape and warning signs all over as usual.

I suppose a proper bushcrafter would have built a signal fire from pocket fluff and tooth picks :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I think mythbusters did a thing on it where they made a giant tank of 'quicksand', I dont think anyone teaches it as standard except the forces and rnli. the best example is that clip from basra where they did a beach assault and got stuck. you shouldnt sink all the way like in the old tarzan movies unless it was aerated like a diving pool, the siberian bogs which are leaking methane might be a problem but once you get to chest deep then your lungs should keep you buoyant enough, the article does state that he went up to his neck but that was most likely press poetic license.

calling the bloke a BG disciple though is showing the usual ignorance to subject in the hope of making a cheap shot against an old target for brownie points. the papers like to pick him out because he's the current name and more folks know who he is now that ray mears has stopped presenting the one show and match of the day 2.

As for dodgy advice its interesting that I've been teaching and advocating rectal infusion for at least 20 years because thats what I was taught, its finally made a BG show I notice according to charlie brooker so its nice to finally be vindicated even if it is by young edward, I look forward to it making channel 4 in the near future.

if you pay attention you might even learn something as the stuff shown is advocated by all the real expert advisors him and RM take along to satisfy the insurance companies underwriting the projects, it might not seem right to your softy tastes and seem extreme but its not wrong advice given the scenario's and locations they are shown in.

if you must question BG then ask why they christened their third lad huckleberry :)

Aug 22, 2009
Medway Kent
i would have said it worked as he used the advice of distributing is weight, and not strugling (any more), and not sinking any more, giving him time to reach for his fone and call for help.

and about bear he does not tell you what "you" should do to survive he just shows you what he would do. and it is quite entertaining in its own way. bear is all about getting out as soon as possible (witch goes with his sas background escape and evasion type thing) whereas ray for instance shows you how to actualy survive in the wilderness and stay comfortably for longer periods. so in my opinion they are both informative but just in differant ways and for totaly differnt situations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE