Coffee, 'strainer'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
Does anyone know if a coffee 'strainer' exists and where i could ge one. I dont mean a filter really like you can get for cups which have an open top. I mean like a tea strainer the ball type that locks shut and you dunk into you mug only with a fine mesh?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i have something similar to that from clas ohlson, its 3 for a fiver or something.

its a sphere of mesh that is held shut by a spring, its quite fine, i have used it for tea and less mega ground coffee (got a grinder) and its ok, bit off seepage round the edge but aslong as you leave 5mm in your cup and dont swill it around any grounds that do escape sink to the bottom

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
They are called a Tea Infuser.
sign0196.gif

hop+infuser.jpg

tea-infuser-ball-tea-infuser.jpg

CHANTAL_TEA_INFUSER_SPOON_250x250.jpg

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I've got one of these,

...makes awful coffee. I've had much better luck wrapping grounds in a paper filter and stirring that around. It's called a "cup-pour-ri", can't really recommend.
And how do you like your coffee, sir?
Cold, dark, and bitter, just like my women.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I think you are all whimps and should sift your coffee through your teeth then spit the grounds out like a cowboy.:)

You know, you're right. dang-it. For a one-pot show (minimal muggery methinking, maddave) I've got to get this down. I'm hooked on the cone and filter which I use at home and out. It is all in the grind. Any thoughts for cowboy coffee? course, Turkish, micro-dust?

Like I need another cup today...here goes :coffee:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Ya should suck it through one of yer socks !! That's how real men drink their coffee !!

You can tell by the verrhucas around their mouths....

I'll get me coat :D

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Ya should suck it through one of yer socks !! That's how real men drink their coffee !!

You can tell by the verrhucas around their mouths....

I'll get me coat :D

person-smiley-9589.gif

sign0195.gif

Under no circumstances should any other personal garments of clothing be proposed as filters... :eek:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
A couple of years ago I met a guy in a remote Scottish bothy who showed me a very neat and very cheap way to make filter coffee. Buy a pair of 'pop socks' put the coffee in the toe of one and dunk it in the hot water in the cup. Works a treat. Mind you if your a bloke buying 'pop socks' can get you some strange looks!:lmao:

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I've got one of the Bodum Bistro Single Cup Presses.

31KJF%2BxjFWL._AA300_.jpg

The coffee it makes is not as good as you get from an Aerobie AeroPress (which makes some of the best coffee I've made at home or in the field) but it's a lot smaller to carry and it still work's if you get your filter discs wet it your pack and it's a bit tight but it will work with flask mugs like these.

31zaEof0iyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One thing to note though is that you really have to use coarse cafetiere coffee as the mesh could be finer.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE