Pyrenean Shepherds' Fire Lighter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
I was looking through the Nature et Decouverte website today. They're a sort of slightly eco, slightly outdoors, slightly wooden toy shop over here in France. Amongst their stuff for walkers I found THIS.

Briquet-des-bergers-pyreneens-a-amadou-52011120-64503.jpg

It's called a Pyrenean shepherds' lighter and works with no gas, no petrol. Apparently the cord is made with an extract of oak fungus, and lights using the built in flint sparker.

It claims it's virtually indestructible, although they don't say anything about what happens if it gets wet. I've ordered one anyway, hope to get it in a few days time, so when it arrives I'll be testing it thoroughly, to see how it works.

Has anyone seen anything like it before?

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
Yes I have seen these before and wondered where I could get another. We bought them as kids when we used to go on holiday in a remote part of Spain many, many years ago (sigh). I managed to get a surviving one from one of my family recently; it's probably about thirty years old.

It still works fine; it looks very similar to the one you show, the 'rope' core is made up of very fine, soft fibre; it takes a spark easily and smoulders away quite happily until you ease the tip back down the tube to extinguish it.

It is a very useful item.

Last edited:

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Looks like an updated version of the type shown and used by Mr Mears in one of his Walkabout episodes.

Google searching finds "Stephen King's Flint and Steel"

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Basha, good to hear they work, I was wondering if I'd bought a pup, hope mine works as well as yours does. If you'd like another one, I could always get one and post it on to you, sadly they only deliver within France, but I can't imagine the postage would be much on one.

It does look like it works the same kind of way as the one Mears is using in the video, although he's striking to get the spark, not twiddling the little wheel.

Can't wait for it to get here now, when it does I'll see if it has a maker's name, and do a little review.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I've got one of these - picked it up for a fiver from evilBay. It works very well, spark hits rope (I'm not sure if there's saltpetre in it) and it glows away nicely. Pull the rope back and put your finger on the top to extinguish. That little ball stays in place with a hook.

I'd rate it more as a cigarette lighter than a general fire lighter though.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
thanks for the offer Alexlebrit; I'm OK with the one I have for the moment, but it's nice to know they are still available. Since my last post I have been thinking about making my own one; There have been thead(s) on DIY ones using the same principle (but using a firesteel).

Hope you are pleased with yours.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
It's called a Pyrenean shepherds' lighter and works with no gas, no petrol. Apparently the cord is made with an extract of oak fungus, and lights using the built in flint sparker.

I´ve seen them in the book ´la grande aventure du feu` by Bertrand Roussel and Paul Boutie. It ´s a great French book on many different firestarting methods. The book says the cord is treated with saltpetre so the ´meche a amadou´ has nothing to do with real amadou made out of horse hoof fungus (Fomes fomentarius, l´amadouvier)

Cheers,

Tom

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
looks like a slow match, i use a piece of copper tube with saltpetre impregnated cord in it with a firesteel. works really well as a spark catcher and ember extender. It works much better if the cord is pre-charred. it takes a really tiny spark o get going its great

CRAZY FROG

Forager
Aug 9, 2007
essex
I was looking through the Nature et Decouverte website today. They're a sort of slightly eco, slightly outdoors, slightly wooden toy shop over here in France. Amongst their stuff for walkers I found THIS.

Briquet-des-bergers-pyreneens-a-amadou-52011120-64503.jpg

It claims it's virtually indestructible, although they don't say anything about what happens if it gets wet. I've ordered one anyway, hope to get it in a few days time, so when it arrives I'll be testing it thoroughly, to see how it works.

the last time I saw one of these was about 30 years ago, as far as i can remember it worked well, can you get spare cord for it?

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I was gonna knock one of these up with some safety fuse, a copper pipe and a disposable lighter flint that can be removed (I forget the make of the lighter, Clipper maybe?) but forgot all about it. It looks like a project I could get done this week!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I was gonna knock one of these up with some safety fuse, a copper pipe and a disposable lighter flint that can be removed (I forget the make of the lighter, Clipper maybe?) but forgot all about it. It looks like a project I could get done this week!

thats kind of what i want to do, i havent worked out how to attach the flint mechanism to the copper pole yet though

Jan 13, 2010
Spain
I just cant believe you don't know that one. It is just a 'chisquero', the most common tipe of cigarrete lighter for the first three quarters of past century in Spain (dunno the rest of the world ...). Something similar is still used in my place (valencia) for letting the children play with rockets with no lighter, they use this thing instead to light them ;O)

Very very common and still easily obtainable over here, they last forever.

Perigonza

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I've had this in my Tinder tin awhile now and it works fine so I thought I'd share via this thread.
You can see the char cloth still glowing and the sulphur match lit
clipperspark.jpg

The flint wheel insert from a clipper lighter, the plastic shaved to fit the shorter of the two 3/16" brass tubes soft soldered together. In use a small piece of char cloth is rolled and pushed up the longer tube, with a nail cut off for the purpose, untill it just sticks out the top then with the flick of the wheel it's lit by the sparks and pushed all the way out, with the nail. Then I touch it with a sulphur match and give a quick blow and the match is lit, or it could be dropped into a tinder bundle ?
cheers all Danny

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE