Interesting BBQ Ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikeob

Jun 3, 2009
Cardiff
Variation on the Choccy Bannana
Split open an unskinned bannana.
Insert Mars bar.
Wrap in foil.
Leave until you have a sticky, gooey, glorious mess.
Eat before it cools.
Marvellous.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
We had a BBQ on the beach last summer to cook all the fish our friend was going to catch at the great spot where "he always catches loads of fish" its a good job the kids and I went through the rock pools, with a good platefull of seaweed, winkles and limpets to keep us going untill he pulled in his only catch of the day, give him his due it was worth waiting for, a dog fish that was pleanty big enough for 4 adults and 5 kids that have turned eating into an olympic sport

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
My two basics don’t sound anything special, but people go wild for them - corn on the cob and chicken tika kebabs.

Slice the CotC into about inch and a half slices across the cob and marinade them for a good few hours in olive oil, white wine vinegar or red/cider..., garlic with a bit of salt and pepper. Put them flat face down straight into the bars and grill until they just start to blacken (oh and explode – really, take cover) turn them and grill the other side. They go amazingly sweet and juicy, brilliant warm, I think they’re even better cold the next day and amazing in a salad if you take the kernels off the cob.

If anyone wants the kebab recipe I’ll type it out, but it never lets me down, served in a warm pita with a bit of salad and some sort of dressing or mayo just for a little moisture.

And at last I think I've cracked the home made burger :)

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Something I've found works really well and is cheap, Teriyaki chicken thighs;

Skin, bone and un roll the things, removing the majority of the fat
Score the chicken lightly on the outside edge and lay it in a dish for the marinade
Pour in a healthy does of Teriyaki source
Add a few splashes of Soy sauce
Add a few slugs of Worcester sauce
Add a few dashes of Tabasco (I use super red if its just me, or green if its friends)
Sprinkle over a slack handfull of mixed herbs
Mix it all in, turning the breasts over a few times and stick it in the fridge to marinade

When BBQing I use two metal skewers side by side so the meat doesnt spin round when ouare trying to turn it. Thread the thigh on splayed out, alternating the skewer in and out like a running stitch, means it wont slip around, I also use long skewers so I can get two thighs on each pair of skewers...word o wrning, wear a leather gardeing gove when turning the skewers over...experience taught me that :lol:

Rgds

Fluffy

Feb 8, 2009
kent
Set up garden with French bread , cheese and fruit juice.
Get someone to run BBQ for those that like their food half burnt, half raw.
Covered areas out of the sun to sit, drink and watch the action.

Order in a Chinese takeaway :)

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I didn't want to get too carried away as we had company so for a change we had rack of lamb, fish (can't remember which but it was fresh from the 'mongers), king prawns and sweet chilli marinaded chicken thighs with home made burgers. (The rack of lamb was blummin awesome!)

I'll save the experimentation for when we don't have too much company :D

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Take a whole pineapple and quater it lengthwise,
Cut out any tough inner core,
Coat liberally with dark brown sugar
Drench in rum
Continue to add more sugar and more rum during the cooking
BBQ until the sugar and rum mix is too irresistable

Best not to wear posh suits & frocks as the sweet juice dribbles down your chin and arms...

... but man-oh-man what a delight.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Wonderful recipe. Its got two of my favourite items... rum and more rum!:D

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Fresh sardines.

If you have ever been to Newquay in Cornwall in late summer about the first week in September they have a fish festival / festival of the sea. I was there one year as well as the fish related stands we got the pleasure of 3 seals who decided to come into the shallows of the harbour. When I say harbour I really mean the beach in the town beside the harbour and they were practically on the beach entertaining the crowds.

Anyway backt o the bbq, there was two people with a small round bbq (a v cheap one found at supermarkets) selling bbqed pilchards. Not sardines but pilchards the poorer cousin. Anyway I reckon they were friends and/or family of pilchard fishermen because the fish were so very fresh I have to say I have only tasted fresher fish when we have fished off the jetty in France as a kid early morning then gone home to bbq them for breakfast. That is how they tasted like they had been pulled out of the sea onto the bbq and down my throat. Can't beat that. There were no flavourings or anything added just the fish and the masses of natural flavour you get when it is so fresh. Simples.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Get a couple of sweet potatoes cut into 3/4 inch rings,
mix smooth peanut butter with equal amount of mayo into a paste and cover the sweet pots, put on bbq till soft turning regularly and adding more paste if required. looooovely.

This same paste can be used on chicken kebabs aswell.

enjoy.

Dgoodjobgoodjob

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
Whole salmon (gutted) rubbed with olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Soak a complete newspaper, wrap the salmon in the wet paper, put the bundle on the barbie, on the coals of your campfire, or even in the oven. When the outer layers of paper start to burn, the fish will be beautifully steamed inside the parcel, and the skin will come away with the final layer of paper. Delish!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE