offal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
just finished my tea which was fried liver and onions with mashed spuds (lambs liver by the way). just wondering what everyones favourite offal recipe is, it can be any piece of offal you like.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Livers a strange one with me. I can't stand it to eat on it's own fried up as it makes me sick (as a teacher found out when I was young :D ) but I love liver pate :rolleyes:

But for me it's kidneys and the little wifey did an excellent steak & kidney pie last night :)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
liver and bacon sounds awesome might try that next. i couldn't believe how cheap offal is compared to meat i got half a kilo of liver for 80p from tesco that much lamb would normally be 5 times more than that its riiculous that hardly anyone generally eats it

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Liver and bacon:

Soften the onions and fry the bacon with oil (and butter if you're gunning for a coronary), add a little sugar to caramelize, flour the liver with seasonsed plain flour, cook with the onions on one side until blood from the liver comes through the flour on the upper side then turn over for the same amount of time. Towards the end add some water or veg stock and reduce to make a thick sauce. Most important part - don't overcook the liver!

The wife's recipe above - flippin' marvelous.

Kidneys, lentils and rice:

Cook 250g of Puy lentils as per the instructions on the pack (usually takes 40 to 45 mins)

Boil some rice - long grain (10mins to 15 mins) basmati (15-20) brown (35-60)

Remove the core from half a dozen lambs kidneys and quarter what's left. Flash some garlic (2 to three cloves depending on how much you like garlic) in a tablespoon of olive oil - add the kidneys and roll them around in the hot oil for 5 mins or so. Add a half a pint of stock (veg/chicken/beef/lamb - used them all in the past, all work but veg or lamb for preference) - cheap red wine works in place of the stock - and reduce for 5 to 10 minutes. If you want something a bit firey add a couple of chopped bird eye chillies just before you add the stock and add 150ml of double cream if you dont want to wait as long for the stock to thicken.

The above works just as well with sausages as it does with kidneys if your guests are more squeamish.

Lambs hearts stuffed with sage and onion stuffing - wrapped in foil and baked in the oven for a couple of hours - probably the best of the lot to be honest.

Cheers,

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
See i have to be careful how i cook meat in our house, the wife and my youngest son won't touch meat if the texture is wrong, its nowt to do with taste but purely texture.
my eldest son has no probs, like me he's a real carnivore, we love liver and onion cassarole and i'm going to do some steak and kidney pies soon for us, or heck just some kidneys fried up with bacon for brekkie.
offal is fantastic and its so overlooked its silly, same with the "unpopular" cuts of meet, belly pork and lamb, scrag end etc. all really good stuff but people just don't know it exists anymore.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
will eat / try more or less anything but have a real soft spot for steak and kidney pie
drooling5.gif

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Unfortunately I amnot alowed to eat liver now (Vit A) due to meds I am on.
But I like the majority of offal.
The way I like my liver is cut into strips. then seasoned and floured. Then fry. Best with calves liver (if you can take a mortgage out to but it!).
but tripe and chips (pref the knuckle) with plenty of vinegar and pepper. or pigs trotteres, or well I could go on and on. *sigh* don't get any of it these days as Suz doesn't like and wont touch. Although i did get her to eat (and enjoy) some haggis on Burns night.
So there is hope yet.
Alan

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi liver and onions and chips young kids today dont know what there missing
regards dave

Dynamite_1303

Feb 25, 2009
North Yorkshire
I'd have to second haggis .... so simple to make, and for less than a fiver spent in the supermarket you have a meal for about eight people (counting me as three when it comes to haggis).

Otherwise a nice bit of fried pig kidney with the breakfast!

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Liver, sausage and onion casarole for tea tonight!
gonna do plenty of mash spuds for the gravy and maybe some steamed veg on the side YUM!

anybody got any tips on making haggis? i'm having mare finding the tinned stuff again and the stuff in asda requires steaming for 20 years.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Liver and onions
livers and onions and bacon.
Steak and kidney pudding, steak and kidney pie.
Haggis. Haggis mix in sausage skins

Liver jerky (Pilsbury) yum yum
That pale sausage thing made from lambs traches ?

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
Flash fry a whole pack of liver so it's still pink in the middle. Melt in your mouth stuff! Enjoy while watching the dogs drooling while staring at you!

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Stuffed Heart is a fave.

Fresh venison kidneys with the tenderloin, home-layed eggs and parasol mushroom: cracking breakfast:

Huntersbreakfast.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE