Interesting BBQ Ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I know it's not really bushcraft but the beautiful British BBQ is a great way to get non-outdoors types at least as far as the back garden.

I'm a bit bored of burgers and sausages so has anyone any awesome ideas on something a bit different?

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
Spatchcock a chicken - oooer misus. Sure you will find a good link on youtube, but it's basically taking the spine out, flattening the chicken and putting some skewers through in a cross to keep the shape and to expose the breast meat, legs, wings in the same plane. Means you get even cooking of the bird.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
second the banannas and choc or brown sugar, - very yummy.
anything kebab'd - metal skewers dirt cheap in tesco etc
haloumi cheese - very moreish on BBQ

BBQs rock !

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Chicken and mango kebabs with lime and ginger marinade

Chicken wings with piri piri sauce

Tuna steaks with lime and corriander dressing

Baked spuds in foil in the coals

Choccy bananas

All washed down with lashing of Bacardi Mojitos

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Take a whole pineapple and quater it lengthwise,
Cut out any tough inner core,
Coat liberally with dark brown sugar
Drench in rum
Continue to add more sugar and more rum during the cooking
BBQ until the sugar and rum mix is too irresistable

Best not to wear posh suits & frocks as the sweet juice dribbles down your chin and arms...

... but man-oh-man what a delight.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Fizzlebang

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
Surrey
Get a leg of Lamb and dice it up into small chunks. pop it in a bowl or food bag with Juice and grated peel of a lemon, a couple of chopped garlic cloves, a few sprigs of rosemary, a glug of olice oil, salt and pepper. Leave overnight! put the cubes of meat onto a skewer and hey presto Lamb souvlaki. Server with greek salad, pitta and some tsatsiki ( I have a great recipe for it if you need one )

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Corn on the cob wrapped in tinfoil with salt, butter, and garlic inside. Basic but a nice starter when bbqing...

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
cut a chorizo sausage (the dried salami type of chorizo rather than the uncooked sausage type) into quarters lengthwise and BBq these until they are slightly blackened along the edges.

Also as someone has said earlier, Halloumi cheese.

Both of these would be contenders for my 'last meal' starter. :)

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
  • Baked parsnips drizzled in honey (in foil on the coals)
  • Kebabs - salami / peppers / onions / mushrooms / cherry toms
  • Sweetcorn cooked in the husk (or wrapped in wet newspaper)
  • Chicken fillets - butterfy and marinate in whatever takes your fancy (cajun spice works well)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
any oily fish leave the skin on cook it 2 thirds through on the skin side then flip it over for the last bit. put some olive oil on it first though or it sticks

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
one of these days I'd like to try the old trick of cooking an entire chicken upended on a can of beer/cider/coke, not sure how long ti would take but sounds fun!

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
cajun squirrel? pigs trotters, fresh fish just thrown on the bbq, rabbit kebabs, wood pigeon?
whole sweetcorn, sweet potato, ooh cherry tomato's are amazing cooked on the bbq!
spring greens, lettice etc cut in half, brush oil on it and just slightly char it, get a really nice taste and texture to it.

big ol steaks!, pork chops, lamp shanks you name it. you can cook anything on the bbq you can cook on a fire, burgers and sausages are boring i agree, this summer i'm doing a bbq myself and i plan on getting nextdoors alder tree (when he cuts it down shortly) to make charcoal with. i'll have to be careful not to melt the bbq...

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Take a whole pineapple and quater it lengthwise,
Cut out any tough inner core,
Coat liberally with dark brown sugar
Drench in rum
Continue to add more sugar and more rum during the cooking
BBQ until the sugar and rum mix is too irresistable

Best not to wear posh suits & frocks as the sweet juice dribbles down your chin and arms...

... but man-oh-man what a delight.

ATB

Ogri the trog
Man after my own heart. I bet we would do well at a bbq together. How bigs your elbows? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
a nice BBQ drink is made by:

1. getting a large watermelon cutting the top off and keeping it.

2. pour a bottle of vodka into the watermelon slowly.

3. put top back onto watermelon.

4. Put in the freezer and chill.

5. a week or two later take out of freezer and put another bottle of vodka into the watermelon.

repeat steps 3 to 5 as much as you like :)

6. on day of BBQ take lid off watermelon and crush the flesh inside (spud masher is good)

7. get glass and dip in mix and enjoy

Tip do not smoke after consumption unless a fire breather or you want to have a natty party trick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE