Ally folding canoes now at Tamarack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Ooh I like those! Always fancied a canoe but without building yet another shed to keep it in it'd be nicked in no time up here. That would go in the spare room a treat though :D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Wow! - I do like those!!! - unfortunately the prices hate me! :(

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Me too... I've bought cars for less lol

Me too.

But I just picked up my 2nd Ally - the 13'7" as a solo boat alongside the 16'6" I've had >4 years.

In fact, the money I saved on a diddy car and house has paid for the folding boats needed to fit in them...

...err, or something.

Joking apart, they are very, very good and Tamarack (whence the new one came) are incomparible suppliers. I only noted a slight flinch as I was flailing away at the boat with a hammer to put it up.

Before paying for it:lmao:

To anyone considering one, the recurved bow/stern models are much the most manouverable, but they track like a p***ed up student on a Friday night. The others track beautifully in wind but grip the water hard on draw and pry strokes.

The baby one is only 2'6" wide, too, so it still feels like sitting on a rolling log:rolleyes: not been for a swim yet, but only a matter of time!

Jim.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Popped in on Friday and had a look at these, they look a great solution for the 'short of space' Seemed mega rigid as well, not sure what I was expecting but looked good!

Cheers,

Alan

rancid badger

Er.............Nah!..................for that money, I'd rather have a proper boat;)
Actually; you could almost get TWO proper boats for that money or THREE apaches:pokenest:

:D

Better than an inflatable, if you have space issues mind;)

R.B.

Last edited:

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
hmmmmmmmmmm Rich!! why do you do this!!!

I am going to have to have a closer look at these.

Alan when you say they felt quite rigid lets say a normal Canoe been 10 where would these sit on the scale in your opinion?

Andy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Framewise a good 8/9 but obviously there is a skin on top but it was pretty taught. It all felt pretty solid, the guy there mentioned (jokingly) about storing the Alu frame in the cold and the skin in the warmth and also banging on it with a rubber mallet. I'd have no hesitation about flat water paddling in them, I think they'd be as good as a 'normal' boat, less sure about a river..... You'd need wellies for beaching etc.

Just realized where you are, I'd really recommend you go and see one (and take your credit card...)

Cheers,

Alan

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Framewise a good 8/9 but obviously there is a skin on top but it was pretty taught. It all felt pretty solid, the guy there mentioned (jokingly) about storing the Alu frame in the cold and the skin in the warmth and also banging on it with a rubber mallet. I'd have no hesitation about flat water paddling in them, I think they'd be as good as a 'normal' boat, less sure about a river..... You'd need wellies for beaching etc.

Just realized where you are, I'd really recommend you go and see one (and take your credit card...)

Cheers,

Alan

If people used to run rapids in canoes made of cedar and birch bark, I'm sure these will cope. You may have to alter your style a little I guess...

Personally, I'm not even looking. Really, I'm not. No way. :D

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Cheers Alan I am going to take a drive over there and have a good look at them. The fact that they also do all the repair gear is a bonus.

I think after a bit more experience as Duncan says as long as your careful rivers may well be ok.

I can see a kit clearance coming up in the classifieds!!!

Andy

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
No Rich I am not in any real rush I still keep toying with the idea of keeping it. I just cant make my mind up. These Ally's look pretty interesting though maybe enough to make me move a bit quicker. Even the Considerable beter half thinks they are a good idea.... something about all my gear in the garage and not been able to get to things!!!!

They do whinge!!

(runs and hides!!)

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
I do like those! One of the lads that I go paddling with occasionally, has a Folbot (folding kayak) and this seems to be the open canoe version. No pennies, though.

Graeme

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE