A silly man?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Sad, but very silly. If you want to play at Les Stroud/Bear Grylls, take a bag full of all the kit you might need, then don't use it unless you need it. I appreciate there's a joy in travelling ultra-light, but if you know you're going into a tough environment, and choose to do so without emergency kit, then sooner or later Darwin's theories are going to catch up with you.
:(

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A Les Stroud fan and avid reader of survival books, you would have hoped he'd have been able to rig a shelter and start a fire.
Setting off with just an axe and the clothes on his back sounds like an ideal weekend out for most of us on here. The article says he's done it previously in summer but the Ontario winter cold must have got too much for him.

Silly no, a shame yes

R.I.P Richard Code

Last edited:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
crikey i doubt even les stroud would have gone out with just the clothes on his back an axe and some basic fishing gear.
imo this is definitely stupid, granted he's read alot and watched programs but its obvious he had no respect for the environment he was entering, i doubt any survival expert even the ones who run schools would go out with just that kit. what a sensless waste.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
It's a tragedy but at least he was trying to live it. A greater tragedy would be to just sit and watch these shows and think I'd like to have a go at that but never actually have the cahoneys. If I were single and had no dependants I'd like to think I would take a few risks.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It's a tragedy but at least he was trying to live it. A greater tragedy would be to just sit and watch these shows and think I'd like to have a go at that but never actually have the cahoneys. If I were single and had no dependants I'd like to think I would take a few risks.

Sod that, better a living googlecrafter than a dead bushcrafter.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA

Hmmm, well, I don't think lacking the macho ethic is a "greater tragedy" than losing your life under circumstances that are easily avoidable. "He died doing what he loved" has always sounded rather trite to me.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
He obviously wasn't a very good learner.

I would go with the stupid verdict. Its unfortunate that these things happen, but i hope this goes out as a lesson to all.

Don't overestimate your abilities, or underestimate natures power.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Sod that, better a living googlecrafter than a dead bushcrafter.

I'll agree to disagree.

One of the reasons why many, including myself, enjoy the outdoors is that there is an element of risk. It's the spirit of adventure. It's the reason why people traipse up mountains, canoe down rapids etc.
Of course I believe in being prepared (it does seem this chap wasn't) and having the right kit, maybe a training course then that way future adventures can be enjoyed. But I think it's easy for us to judge someone who takes on the wild and loses. He tried, he failed. Sad but at least he tried.

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
Gotta agreewith Prawnster, there.

It's not like it was his first trip out into the wilderness. sure he got a bit cocky and decided not to take any emergency backup equipment, but at least he died doing what he loved.

If he died of hypothermia, that's quite a pleasant, dreamy way to go, really.

"If not duffers, wont drown, but better drowned than duffers" - Swallows and Amazons

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I'll agree to disagree.

One of the reasons why many, including myself, enjoy the outdoors is that there is an element of risk. It's the spirit of adventure. It's the reason why people traipse up mountains, canoe down rapids etc.
Of course I believe in being prepared (it does seem this chap wasn't) and having the right kit, maybe a training course then that way future adventures can be enjoyed. But I think it's easy for us to judge someone who takes on the wild and loses. He tried, he failed. Sad but at least he tried.

BUT, you don't play Russian Roulette with six full chambers do you?

He was a pratt. He could and should have taken adequate kit to actually survive. He must have known how bad the winters are there; you don't even put the bins out without several layers, hat and gloves on for goodness sake.:rolleyes:

trewornan

Sep 24, 2005
UK
I'm shocked by some of the comments on here.

Yes the guy made an error of judgement obviously, haven't we all at some time, most of us have just been lucky enough not to suffer such a severe consequence.. There may be lessons to be learned here but all the name calling does not reflect well on the posters or this forum.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'll agree to disagree.

I used to work with a guy who had a beautiful Mercury Cougar. He loved the car and he loved driving it. One day he got going too fast, hit a bump, and lost control. Rolled the car and did not survive. I can't think of anyone at that time who said well, at least he died doing what he loved. :confused: Cold solace for his wife, kids, and the rest of his family. If he had not been going way too fast, he'd still be alive today.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Ok this fella was a little naive and perhaps over estimated his ability to get by in the environment he chose.
But I won't condemn him. I won't call him silly, a pratt, an idiot etc
He had a daring outlook that many admire and if he'd perhaps just reined it in a little until he'd gained more experience then he may have been alive now.
Then again he may not, you can't prepare for everything no matter what kit you've got or how experienced you are. Bad things happen, particularly to those who drag themselves away from the TV and dare to venture out.

He WAS doing what he loved to, what's more he was doing what WE love to do. Or do we just talk the talk? How many times have we read about being able to survive with just a knife? Is that just hot air? What he was doing is what this site is all about. Searching for wild, untouched places and finding out if you've got what it takes to enjoy being there with minimal kit is the kind of thing we here are into isn't it?

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
He WAS doing what he loved to, what's more he was doing what WE love to do. Or do we just talk the talk? How many times have we read about being able to survive with just a knife? What he was doing is what this site is all about. Searching for wild, untouched places and finding out if you've got what it takes to enjoy being there with minimal kit is what we here are all into isn't it?

Damn straight!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Life is risk - but the wise try to manage that risk and the foolish face the risk unprepared.
If I die taking a risk (and I have got through some tricky spots by the narrowest of margins in the past) then it is my own fault for getting it wrong. Tough on me!
If I get it right (or right enough to survive) - good on me!
If you manage risk you have a chance to learn. I would rather go in to a situation withback up kit for if it all went pear-shaped - and not use it - than not have the back up kit, find I need it, and end up dead.....
It is sad that the risk management in this case was not equal to the risk and someone died - but these things happen.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I'm shocked by some of the comments on here.

Yes the guy made an error of judgement obviously, haven't we all at some time, most of us have just been lucky enough not to suffer such a severe consequence.. There may be lessons to be learned here but all the name calling does not reflect well on the posters or this forum.

No not really, there's an error of judgement and then there's wandering into the wilderness that is -12°c (and snowy) with just the clothes on your back and some small items of kit, none of which was a shelter or anything to start a fire with.
an error in judgement is filling your trang when its still lit but you can't see, its swinging the axe and missing thus sticking it into your leg, its falling down a steep slope when you slip. it certainly isn't wandering into the wild as this chap did.

i'm not sure if it was a belief in his abilities (bravado) or just plain ignorance of what nature can do to the human body but honestly what he did can't be described as anything but stupid in my mind.

i'm sorry i know this thread has alot of different views but mine is simply that this was a particularly spectacular darwinian demonstration. i also bet he was never a scout.
:pokenest:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE