How to De-Bone a chicken

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Here is a way to take all the bones out of a chicken. Even a medium sized shop bought chicken will give up a lot of meat if boned out this way, and it will work out considerably cheaper than buying ready boned chicken breasts.

Start out with one regular medium chicken
001-1.jpg

Turn the chicken onto it's front.
002-1.jpg

Make a cut along it's back bone, all the way from it's neck right down to the tail
003.jpg

Using the tip of your knife, begin to cut the flesh away from the carcass. Think about the shape of the bird and follow the ribs etc as close as you can
004-1.jpg

As you get to the legs, you will come accross the ball/socket joint.
005-1.jpg

Put the tip of your knife into the joint and give a twist of your wrist and it should pop right out. these can be a bit stiff, so don't be afraid to give it some leverage.
007.jpg

It should pop out like this.
008.jpg

Continue to cut into the bird close to the carcass all the way round.

010.jpg

Where the shoulder bones meet the carcass, there is a piece of white cartlidge. Cut through this (on both shoulders) and work the flesh away from the bottom of the carcass
011.jpg

You can now simply peel the carcass from the breasts.
012.jpg

the carcass is now removed.
013-1.jpg

Next to be removed are the leg bones.
014-1.jpg

Feel the flesh for the bones underneath and simply make a couple of cuts down to the top of the bones. Use your fingers to push the flesh away from the bones and use your knife to cut around the knuckle joint and to remove the bones
015-1.jpg

The outer wings can come off too if you like. Feel for the joint....
016.jpg

And cut through (it's usually quite soft)
017-1.jpg

To remove the wing bone, simply make a cut right along the bone
018-2.jpg

Again, use your fingers to prise the flesh away, and your knife for any hard to remove bits and to finally cut the bone away from the flesh.

019.jpg

That just leaves the wishbone to be removed.
020-1.jpg

And here is the fully boned out chicken.
021-1.jpg

Now we can begin to skin the chicken. Simply work the knife between the meat and the skin, or use your fingers, cutting only where it is hard to peel away. the picture shows me peeling the leg meat
022-1.jpg

Now we do the same for the breast meat.
024-1.jpg

Don't be afraid to get a good hold on the skin and push the meat away. The skin is really quite tough.

025-1.jpg

Use you knife to cut between the breast meat and the wing meat.
026-1.jpg

now cut the breasts in half and renmove the wing meat with your knife as it's hard to peel off.
027-1.jpg

Now you have the fully boned and skined chicken.
029.jpg

And lastly, so as not to waste anything, use the bones, wings etc for making stock.
030-1.jpg

All birds are pretty much the same shape, so can be boned in the same way. larger birds like Turkeys and Geese will have tough leg tendons that will have to be cut out, but Chickens and smaller birds are usually ok.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
That's a very good tutorial. :)

Haven't boned a chicken in years, Coq au vin, Supremes etc., that kind of thing. These days it's mostly bought in prepared.

I think trainees still learn how to do it.

Very clear tutorial there.

Cheers,

Liam

EDITED TO ADD; when I say "boned a chicken" I don't mean in the biblical sense!!!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
dave 53 here nice tutorial celtic ginger i am a butcher by trade so excellent work ,done to many to remember
regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE