Woodlore Owners...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

As a Woodlore owner/future owner, which one applies to you?

• Own a Woody & use it

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Own a Woody and keep it as a collectable

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Own more than one Woody..Use em all

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Own more than one Woody..but keep one as a collectable

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Own a few Woodies, keep more than one as a collectable

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Plan on owning one to use

Votes: 40 37.0%
  • Plan on owning one as a collectable

Votes: 6 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bisto

Need to contact Admin...
im just wondering how difficult it is to replicate those makers stamps?

seems to me that an enterprising soul could do just that and flood the market with easily made replica woodies . if that happened then surely their value would slump...or the renegade maker would end up with a nice pile of fifties too.

anyone know any stamp makers .............................

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I can understand your confusion John. It confuses me why people collect paintings to store them too, and those people that collect cars and never drive them. But i can understand people who collect Japanese Swords and never use them, and therefore, knives. It's the extreme end of enjoying a visit to the Royal Armories and museums, and I like that peoples work is being preserved for future generations. If I was a knife maker, I'd like to see some of my work surviving into the future a little longer than most.

The poll also is showing that the majority who do collect, buy duplicates to use and enjoy too.

I've enjoyed this thread and peoples views on the subject. I'll give it another week or so before compiling the results.

I am not trying to p-ss off anyone with my reply,its just how i saw things.
If I was a knifemaker,i´d like to see some of my work surviving into the future a little longer than most too,but id like to see it as used,with history,with scars,to show that it had survived real life,that it had been used and it has served its masters well without failing,so nobody could say its was just a crappy POS with nice looks:).But hey,its just my brain,no offence.

I f i get my hands on woodlore for some mental misfunction,on my head or someone elses,im sure i will be anxious to baton it thru logs,hack it thru ice,etc,as id like to see how capable it is,compared to all the cheaper clones of it,as i have some hunch that there are knives just as,or better knives,looking just like woodlore but without markings on blade that arent changing the performance of blade into any direction.

again,no offence,guys.ill shut my trap.:lmao:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No offence taken. I used to have an AW Woodlore and I loved bashing it through stuff and using it. In fact it looked better with use IMO. I keep my antler Woody locked up I admit, but my favourite knife is the one I use most often, and it's not a Woodlore or clone. In fact the Woodlore is far from my favourite design or knife. One knife that I really loved was my AW Tamarack, stupidly I sold it to fund something else. I really regret that now. I did use my instructor Woody too until last year, but as Alan is not making them anymore, I'd be gutted if I wrecked it or lost it. And I'm quite capable of losing it, I lost a Wilky Woodlore over the Brecons in 2004 :eek:

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
collecting knives is like collecting anything else you don't necessarily want to use them. if you were a stamp collector and you need to send a letter you wouldn't think 'oh well its a good job i've got this original 1840 penny black i knew it'd come in handy some day' you'd buy a stamp.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
collecting knives is like collecting anything else you don't necessarily want to use them. if you were a stamp collector and you need to send a letter you wouldn't think 'oh well its a good job i've got this original 1840 penny black i knew it'd come in handy some day' you'd buy a stamp.

Don't be daft, stamps are made for posting stuff, no point in keeping them in a folder or drawer... Oh, actually, they are probably better kept safe in a drawer, as they don't work properly when you pop em on letters.

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
Thanks for the pic's of the SM flat grind Jonathan .... I have a few flat grinds with convex edges ... R2 damascus super steel from Japan ... edge holding is pretty amazing ... I am still "discovering" how well these work but am very impressed so far .... both by Hiro Itou from Japan ...

100_0202-1-1.jpg
3.75 inch blade

100_0077-1.jpg
5 inch blade

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A lot more people than a worldwide handful of 'bushcrafters' buy, collect, use knives and have done so a lot longer than this BC malarkey has been in fashion. When this hobby of ours fades these knives will still be in demand IMHO by people like collectors and users such as hunters and fishermen.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
My quota is: one standard Woodlore, which is in use and one 25th Anniversary which is a collectable, not to mention two of Alan's own Bushcrafters.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I used to have one but sold it - far too cheaply. I liked the shape of the blade but not its thickness. To my mind, 4mm is just that bit too fat for delicacy: one simply cannot slice one's cucumber finely enough!

I did go for an Alan Wood Stainless Bushcrafter which is actually really good to use and is better balanced than the Woodlore.

It seems a shame that Woodlores have become a sort of currency. A knife - any knife - is a superbly versatile tool and should be used and enjoyed as such; I find it strange that such a tool should be kept, hoarded and treasured purely because of its association with the world's current leading bushcraft exponent. :eek:

I feel certain that I'll now be shot down in flames or at least persuaded to see the error of my ways...

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I used to have one but sold it - far too cheaply. I liked the shape of the blade but not its thickness. To my mind, 4mm is just that bit too fat for delicacy: one simply cannot slice one's cucumber finely enough!

I did go for an Alan Wood Stainless Bushcrafter which is actually really good to use and is better balanced than the Woodlore.

It seems a shame that Woodlores have become a sort of currency. A knife - any knife - is a superbly versatile tool and should be used and enjoyed as such; I find it strange that such a tool should be kept, hoarded and treasured purely because of its association with the world's current leading bushcraft exponent. :eek:

I feel certain that I'll now be shot down in flames or at least persuaded to see the error of my ways...

well i agree with you tho, if it aint mears it aint bushcraft lol

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Put the knives away before the builders arrive, or they'll be opening paint cans and such with them (I caught my wife using my Spyderco Military to scrape wax out of a candle holder - very sharp, but completely inappropriate for the task).

No, I say leave them out and accessable. It should make an interesting sociable experiment on many levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE