Sculling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sculling: Not the modern racing rowing boats, but the technique of powering a boat with a sculling oar from the transom.

Anyone with experience out there? I'm researching for a handbook for my seascouts troop.

Is it a popular technique in UK?

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
This is me Sculling my little girl in one of our local regatta boats (the Matthew ray) I've used this method of rowing for years. Its quite a common sight on the Avon. I've also seen it used on the Scillys and in a lot of places in Devon and Cornwall.

DSC03890.jpg

DSC03893.jpg

Getting boats ready for a local charity race.

Juneno2008-1.jpg

And lastly a photo from last years walking holiday in Cornwall, at a place called Gorren haven, the guy Sculling this little skiff was 72 years old, and fit as the proverbial fiddle.
RobCoveyScottPriceysCornishadven-3.jpg

If you've got any questions give me a shout and I'll do my utmost to give you an answer.

regards,
Rob

To be honest, I posted here after reading a French website on sculling, stating the technqiue is little used in UK. I wonder how this could be true?

I like to scull. It's "the waterman's way" of driving a boat on calm water and it's done alone (rowing or paddling is for tourists:rolleyes:)

Now, in defence on the french: the source states also that on the French coasts, sculling is typically "Atlantic". The Mediterranean knows no sculling tradition (according to this source). The other sculling cultures acknowledged are Chinese (the most advanced: yuloh), Japanese and native American (Great lakes). Anybody got other/disagreeing sources?

Last edited:

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Hi Ketchup,
If you have not seen this article already, it's definitely worth a look:
http://www.widgetsailor.com/sbjournal/sculling/scull1.html

I am a member of the Drascombe Association (UK) and know that quite a few members scull their boats. Also many Dutch small boat sailors will use a sculling/steering oar in shallow waters to avoid grounding the rudder. For best performance a sculling oar needs to be rather long, several feet longer than a rowing oar.

Check out the Skullmatix:
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/scullmatix/index.htm

Dear Bravo4,
Thank you for the references. Yes, I had seen the Ben Fuller article before. It has been copyPasted on many websites, which is a sign of respect, I suppose. The scullomatix i came across recently. It has been thought of by at least two people at the same time, I imagine.

I learned to scull in Nieuwpoort (Belgium) 35 years ago, so I belong I think to the "Dutch school" of sculling. But it haven't used the technique for long. I want to take it up with my group of sea scouts, therefore I was documenting.
There are quite some films on Youtube, espcially on the Asian "yuloh" and "ro" techniques. Fascinating.

Do ratings in the Royal navy learn(ed) to scull?

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
The Thames Sailing Barge 'Barge boat' is usually propelled in this way unless the anchoring ground is a very long way from the shore and then an outboard is fitted.(cheating to the purists)
We suffered a breakdown off Southend pier in one barge boat and realised that we had forgot the oar, The tiny anchor would not hold us on the hard sand there. Skipper was watching and laughing as we drifted further and further away on the ebb. Not a lot he could do though, as his mate and third hand were in the boat drifting away! We paddled, using the floor boards for a while 'till the plug was cleaned and the motor started again. Haven't forgot the oar since, mind. We even take a spare!

The longer the sweep the better the drive and if you have such a long sweep you may find yourself standing on the center thwart, but you will be moving quickly! Bravo4 echos that thought too.

The Matthew Ray looks a handy tender. She'd fit well in the davits!

I've not been on the Avon except to the Festival of the Sea in Bristol where the Matthew was launched (Long time ago that!)

I've been meaning to try this method with my fishing boat, but being double ended presents problems. I have thought of fitting a cruch or rowlock but this will spoil the clean lines. I just row with one sweep and use the rudder to compensate, if there is enough wind I can usually sail, but places like the chain ferry crossing in Cowes is not a place to be when windless! The sweep comes in to its own then.

Swyn.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I seem to remember Lofty Wiseman showing this technique on a survival programme back in the 80s on a raft he built to break away from an island. If Lofty does it, it can't be wrong!

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Sculling used to be very common down here in Cornwall - mostly as a means of getting small boats out to larger boats on moorings. Used to see lots of punts with the necessary rowlock or cut out in the transom for that very purpose. Not so many folk seem to do it nowadays, so probably good to show the younger generation!
I remember one old boy who always used to scull from the bow, standing on the seat, with the paddle held almost vertical in front of the stem, i.e. pulling the punt forwards.
Nick

I remember one old boy who always used to scull from the bow, standing on the seat, with the paddle held almost vertical in front of the stem, i.e. pulling the punt forwards.
Nick
Nick, the technique of (one oar) sculling is less used since the outboard engine became affordable. Sculling is the "Armstrong brand outboard".

You saw somebody sculling in reverse, you write. As the force is then oriented towards the boat pushing away the oar, how did he transfer that force to the boat? By blocking the oar with his shoulder, by lashing the oar to the bow or by using a fixed ring?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE