Whiskey?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Canadian Club is quite widely available in the UK, but I've never tried it myself. I don't think I've ever seen any other Canadian whiskeys here...

Shade

Nomad
Oct 13, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
I've got a bottle of Redbreast (pure pot still) Irish whiskey and some Glen Livet 18yr on the go.
Can thoroughly recommend both.

The water issue I guess is really just down to personal taste.
I do add a couple of teaspoons of water for myself :)

Don't know if it has been mentioned but....
How about that new English Whisky???
Has anyone tried any? It was plastered all over the news before xmas...
i think they have even sold out of their 3yr old matured stuff until they bottle more at the end of this month.
But interestingly they do sell non matured and 18 month matured also...
The spirit straight out the distillery is completely clear so may have a different tast to it and it's English!!!

Hav'nt tried the English yet.. Been meaning too.. as Its the only 'English Whisky Distillery' there is!! Built 3-4 years ago and they've just started churning the stuff out!!

..And.. as the distillery is just up the road from me near Thetford, I think ill pop down there and get me a bottle.. then take it with me to the Rough Close Moot in March!.. 'anyone for an English tasting' session??? 'John Fenna?'.. 'Jimbo75?'.. whoevers got a mug.. welcome!!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I'm surprised that someone on here hasn't mentioned the wonderful Canadian whiskeys. I'm not a big whiskey drinker but I like a nip once in a while. Some years ago I noticed that every time I had a drink of Crown Royal (a Bourbon) that my nose almost slammed shut, with some sort of allergic reaction.

Currently saying a prayer. My current favorite, and getting a new bottle for Valentine Day(hopefully) is Knob Creek.

I have never yet met a serious connoisseur of whisky who didn't water it.

Not me then, I like it straight, but have a glass of water with it. I like the burn.

They had a weird thing never seen before on Something for the weekend a few weeks ago. Whiskey stones, apprently they are to replace ice cubes so the whiskey does not get any more water. Apprently the Scots would take stones out of a stream to cool it down.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Hi there guy's

Im off out this weekend for a few days outdoor training for a course. camping involved. I have tried whiskey before but always find it abit strong :yuck: just wondering if someone could suggest a brand that isn't to strong for a starting point?

Monkey Shoulder.

£23 from oddbins

A vatted, or pure, malt whisky, this cheeky monkey is made by combining three single malts from separate distilleries. The name is derived from the name for the old injury incurred by the malt men at the distillery who turned the malting barley with a shiel (a kind of large wooden spade). Thankfully machines do this now, but this whisky has been named in honour of the passion these men had.

Tasting Notes : The nose has light and delicate vanilla with floral and soft honey aromas. The palate is smooth and rounded with hints of malty sweetness, marmalade and barley sugar. The finish is monumental!

Producer : William Grant & Sons
Method of Production : Made in just small batches of 27 casks, from three separate distilleries malt whisky with no grain whisky.

Last edited:

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Monkey Shoulder.

I find that to be quite a heavy drink, it's a nice, but I'm not sure I will rush to replace it when this bottle runs dry.

Penderyn is fantastic stuff, a very very easy drink. I don't have a bottle in at the moment but I drink it when ever I'm in a 'Weatherspoons' at less than £3 a double you can't complain.

I generally put water in scotch. I do like it with ice though, esp in the summer.

Last edited:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
OK, while all of you connoisseurs are gathered here in one place, someone tell me where Drambuie fits into into the scheme of things. What is it exactly? Whatever it is, I sure do like it!!!! (as an after dinner drink).

Now, since this is a bushcraft site, let me just say, that when sitting around the campfire at night, and the coffee is ready, what goes better than some Bailey's Irish Cream?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
OK, while all of you connoisseurs are gathered here in one place, someone tell me where Drambuie fits into into the scheme of things. What is it exactly? Whatever it is, I sure do like it!!!! (as an after dinner drink).

Now, since this is a bushcraft site, let me just say, that when sitting around the campfire at night, and the coffee is ready, what goes better than some Bailey's Irish Cream?

These are for girls :lmao::lmao::lmao:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
They had a weird thing never seen before on Something for the weekend a few weeks ago. Whiskey stones, apprently they are to replace ice cubes so the whiskey does not get any more water. Apprently the Scots would take stones out of a stream to cool it down.

First I've heard of it. Whisky should not be served cold - it kills the flavour.

someone tell me where Drambuie fits into into the scheme of things. What is it exactly?

It's a whisky liqueur. Far too sweet for me.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
First I've heard of it. Whisky should not be served cold - it kills the flavour.

I've seen them. You can buy them, usually granite. I think chilled whiskey has a place, it's personal preference at the end of the day and there are no rules. A lot of blends, IMO, benefit greatly from being chilled and seeing as I can't afford to drink the good stuff on a day to day basis, that works for me!

Drambuie is a spiced liqueur, I like it, I wish they would sell it in smaller bottles though. Drambuie and scotch; a 'rusty nail' goes down well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE