Bushcrafty films!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
The last trapper, the nearest you'll see to a bushcraft 'movie'. It's half movie half documentary, all the incidents are staged but serves as an example of what can and does happen over the years. No real plot, the cast are real old school trappers living in log cabins all their working lifes, they build their own cabins, travel in birch bark canoes or dog sleighs, hunt their own food, tend their trap lines while at the same telling their story of how their way of life is rapidly coming to an end due to the mass logging of the Yukon.
Floating around on torrent at the mo, well worth tracking down.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395514/

Surely that would make a better reality TV show than the nonsense we get? I just seen an advert for a program about building sites in New York! A building site is a building site, no matter where it is. A site in New York is no more exotic than a site in York. Ice Road Truckers looked good for one episode, but now it seems like," Here is a man driving a lorry over ice, here is another, here is another, this man broke down, this one didn't".

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
The Naked Prey, starring Cornell Wilde. Wilde plays a Safari leader whose group is captured by natives. Everyone is tortured to death except Wilde who is given a small head start and then about a half dozen natives come after him. Wilde is naked except for a knife. The whole movie is him trying to evade these runners and eat and find water at the same time. Definitely will keep you on the edge of your seat.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
A film/documentary based in Alaska, with a man called Dick Prenoke ( sorry about the spelling). cant remember the actual name but its some where along the lines of Alone In the Wild. its on my hard drive somewhere so ill check when i get home

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
A film/documentary based in Alaska, with a man called Dick Prenoke ( sorry about the spelling). cant remember the actual name but its some where along the lines of Alone In the Wild. its on my hard drive somewhere so ill check when i get home

is it the same as One man´s Wilderness ?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Didn't read all through this old thread but did anyone mention Caesar's bark canoe? simply the best and available to watch for free online if you google.

Rabbit proof fence is a most mind boggling true story of a couple of kids walking miles back home in Australia.

Rebirth

Oct 25, 2009
In a barrel, in a field
Surely that would make a better reality TV show than the nonsense we get? I just seen an advert for a program about building sites in New York! A building site is a building site, no matter where it is. A site in New York is no more exotic than a site in York. Ice Road Truckers looked good for one episode, but now it seems like," Here is a man driving a lorry over ice, here is another, here is another, this man broke down, this one didn't".

:lmao:
But surely you must of been on the edge of your seat when the ice started to melt and a delivery still had to be made :D.
I know what you mean though, most of these shows are just American testosterone fuelled garbage. (No offence to any American members) :)
However, we have little to replace them, unless cash in the attic or one of the many 'your house is not a home it's a commodity' programs are your type of thing.
I tend to watch a lot more of the community channels than the mainstream channels these days, usually a lot more interesting.

Last edited:

Rebirth

Oct 25, 2009
In a barrel, in a field
Apologies to any Canadians that may of been offended by my omission, i was thinking of the building site and fishing trawler (Canadian? American?) shows.
I should of put butch men doing real man's work with a lot of belly, but fair play to them i couldn't do it especially the cutting down a forest job, i'm too much of a hippy to do that sort of thing. :D

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Walkabout was pretty good, though it's funny to read the reviews. Back when it was released the big whoptydoo was the frontal nudity, and today the main discussion seems to be all the killed animals.How times change.

I'm about to watch Snow Walker tomorrow btw. http://www.snowwalkerthemovie.com/

Looks like a movie right up our alley so to speak :)

*Edit* Oh boy.. what a movie =) It's beautiful, it's gripping, and it has a lot of bushcrafting. I just love it when you find a relatively unknown movie and it turns out to be brilliant. This will definately be a must-have for my dvd collection.

one of the best ;-)

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Rabbit proof fence is a most mind boggling true story of a couple of kids walking miles back home in Australia...

Amazing and true. The 14 years old's bushcraft must have been superb since she did it twice being kidnapped and brought back to the Moore river station for a second time.

1600 km in the arid and desert zones of Western Australia where the fence patrols which she evaded used camels as horses were not up to the job for even part of the way.wow

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Ice age...

There is a bit when thet establishthe humans have not left long ago, because the stick is still green, And then sid makes fire, are you telling me that is not bushcraft?

Ph34r

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Just wanted to add 'Centurion' and 'Far North' to this thread.

Centurion - small band of Roman soldiers trapped behind enemy/Pict lines. Bushcrafting their way back to Hadrian's wall. Tracking, foraging, hunting, mushrooming and so on

Far North - nicely bleak arctic tale of two women who befriend a lone soldier in the tundra/arctic waste. Hunting, fire, skin preparation( in several ways! you'll see what I mean). Sean Bean/ Michell Yeoh.

Waterwalker
Atanarjuat
Valhalla Rising - great! VERY bleak. If Bergman made a Viking film . . . .!
Snow Walker
Pathfinder - original version. Just got last month from amazon. MUCH better than the recent re-make imho.

Above been mentioned before except maybe Valhalla Rising? Anyone else seen it?

Cheers.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Peter Weir (The Director of Master and Commander, Gallipoli and several other worthwhile films) has completed work on 'The Way Back' a film based on the book 'The Long Walk' by Sławomir Rawicz. It tells the 'true' story of six men who escaped from a Soviet Gulag in Siberia and traveled 6500 km through the Gobi Desert, Tibet and down into India.

The trailer for the film may be viewed here.

Looks quite entertaining and possibly has a few 'bushcrafty' elements.

However its worth pointing out that the story may actually be a fiction, or may be based on someone elses story, rather than the one told by Sławomir Rawicz, his wikipedia entry provides more information to any who may be interested.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Seraphim Falls has some firelighting and stuff in it. Good film too.

Seraphim Falls (2006)
15 115 min - Drama | Thriller | War

At the end of the Civil War, a colonel hunts down a man with whom he has a grudge.

Director: David Von Ancken
Writers: David Von Ancken, Abby Everett Jaques
Stars: Pierce Brosnan, Liam Neeson

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE