Car battery to power lights etc?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Can a car battery be used to power lights/fridges etc?

Might be usefull in a power cut.

Thanks for the info

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Yes for a short while if you connect a 12v DC to 240V AC Inverter.

Essentially you can run 240V items from a 12v DC battery.

Caveats, the inverter must be rated for the intended 240V items.
Generally inverters will not power halogen / strip lights
If the battery is not being charged it will drain relatively quickly, 12V DC car batteries are not designed for slow discharge, they are designed for delivering a surge of power to a starter motor.

Inverters are a short term solution, if you were to consider running an inverter for a while, consider obtaining a quality leisure battery (High amps) and wire it into your vehicle so it is being charged as a slave.
This way when their is a power cut you can run the inverter from the slave and periodically charge it by running the car.

Unless you are using the inverter to power 240V items away from the home, by the time you have finished buying a suitable inverter and leisure battery you would get change from a small / medium generator....

Hope this helps

Tom

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for the info, I've never used any of those types of machiens before, and I appreciate the advise.

I have used a couple of different generators before, but they were both very loud. I guess they hadn't been maintained well. Are all generators noisey, and do you know roughly how long a gallon would last running a freezer?

Thanks for the info

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
I have used a couple of different generators before, but they were both very loud. I guess they hadn't been maintained well. Are all generators noisey, and do you know roughly how long a gallon would last running a freezer?

Thanks for the info

I know Honda makes a small generator that you almost have to touch to tell if its running, its that quiet. They are rather pricey, being Honda and all, but they are well made. A minimum of maintenance will ensure it will always be ready.
I'm not sure of the fuel consumption, but you would only have to run it a couple of times a day. A gallon could go a long way.

P.S. To give you an idea of what's available... http://www.honda.ca/HPower/Models/ModelOverview?L=E&Type=Generators&Series=Inverter&Model=EU1000iC

Not cheap, but oohh it's nice.

Last edited:

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
you may have problems running a freezer from a generator, i have a medium honda one and it fliped the trip switch when running the wifes GHD's. my dad has a small freeze that he uses from time to time, and it runs on gas, 12v and 240v, it can also be used as a fridge. they arent cheap but if it can be used at other times (bbq beer fridge) they are handy to have.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
A deep cycle battery would be better.

I have an old Yuasa 40 ah sealed gel battery of indeterminate age I picked up an auction years ago that is still going, it is of the type used in uninteruptable power supplies which is really what you need.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
On the other hand, my brother has a lovely old VW camper with a fridge inside. It is obviously rigged to run off of a 12 volt system, can you buy a 12V fridge for use in emergencies?

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
A Caravan/boat battery would give you a longer life between charges, but wouldn't last too long if you are running a fridge/freezer from it!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Taws, I spend 90% of my life living with a 12 volt system only. I live permanently on my boat, just wandering between various countries. The exception is times like now when I lay up briefly, and shore power 240 volt AC is available, as here in Portugal at the moment.
If you are looking for a system which would allow you to be independent of a mains supply, as I suspect you might be, then as others have pointed out, deep cycle "leisure" batteries are favourite. I have two, each of 110 amp hour. They are charged via a 30 Watt solar panel and a wind turbine generator. On a good day of sunshine the solar panel will put back all the power I use for my navigation lights, cabin lights, car type CD player/radio etc: On cloudy days the wind turbine will top up the battery charge.I do not have a fridge as even the 12 volt caravan type tend to be power hungry. It is possible however with good extra insulation and regulated power supply to run a small fridge quite successfully from the 12 volt system.

Some people who have lots of electronic equipment on board use the modern almost silent petrol driven generators, but then of course they have to be able to buy fuel. After the initial layout for the solar/wind power system you then become independent of the main grid power supply.

I normally sail just about everywhere but when I do use the boats engine the batteries get an extra charge from the alternator, just as a car battery would.
If you decide that a 12 volt system would suit you for emergency situations then I would advise looking at caravan supply or independent solar/wind power companies, not marine suppliers. The addition of the word "marine" to any item from a paint brush to a light switch magically increases the price by 50%...:D

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Car batteries are designed to be used for relatively short bursts of high demand, such as starting an engine, and then being recharged. If it's run too low it can easily permanently damage the battery. As others have said you'd do better with a deep cycle battery, also sometimes called leisure batteries. They're the type used on boats, caravans and campers and are designed to be run down much lower without damage.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Taws, I spend 90% of my life living with a 12 volt system only. I live permanently on my boat, just wandering between various countries.

Not intending to hijack the thread, but something Wicca said left me wondering...

Wicca, what's your setup for internet access on the boat? Or do you just use internet cafes when ashore?

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
That's some great info everyone, I appreciate your postings

Taws, I'm scratching my head on why the freezer is so important. They're such power hogs.

I've been in places where the power might go out for a week or a month and in such places the generator is used (sparingly) for much more important electrical items (phones, communications -- i.e. tvs and radios, pumping water, recharging batteries, etc.) The refrigerator and freezer never got any juice from the generator because it was so wasteful.

If it wasn't winter (which can provide its own cold storage) we'd just clean out the refrigerator and the freezer in the first couple of days before food went bad. But for the primary (storable) food supply we'd used canned goods and dry goods.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
The winters here (generally) aren't reliable enough for storing food outside.
We have a 2 BIG! freezers with maybe 3 weeks supply of meats and food (maybe $500).
I know if the door isn't opened it'll stay cold for a good while, but I've herd of people here having the power off for a week, so long enough to spoil our food.

We can get a refund from the power company (if it's off long enough), but it doesn't cover the full cost of food, and despite my please for SWMBO to stop hoarding such large quantities of spoilable food, cannot stop her on her mission!! I'm trying to convert her to storing canned food, as one of our power cuts ruined some of our freezer supply, and the power company refused to couch up, even though we were (just by 1 hour) entitled compensation....

I asked about the car batteries as I have a few laying around.

p.s. I don't count tv and radio essential power necesity items!! lol

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I see see -- for a short outage you should be find unless you open up the door.

p.s. I don't count tv and radio essential power necesity items!! lol

Trust me, in a crisis like a natural disaster -- or even a remote village -- being able to run the TV and radio for short periods is very, very important. :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Wicca, what's your setup for internet access on the boat? Or do you just use internet cafes when ashore?[/QUOTE]

Hiya Dogwood,
I spend usually 10 to 12 weeks of the worst part of the winter, wherever I happen to be, in a marina. I'm nearly 66 now and too old to ride out the December gales in some desolate anchorage while all the youngsters are tucked away in marinas. so I join 'em..:D.

I've got a laptop and most marinas sell an Internet connection facility. This one is 30 Euros unlimited useage per month, so I sign up for the time I'm here. Once I get to sea I have no internet access and use Internet cafes when I call into harbours briefly for water and stores.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE