Charity shops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I had all the usual pots and stuff, but also scored a "swanni" ranger, for £3.59. Sadly to small for me, so i passed it on, on another site for what i paid +p+p.

Rob

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
shop managers who has promised to keep any wool blankets to one side for me and will keep any old leather coat rejects for me also

Oh thanks Steve, that explains the lack of old leather coats in the shops;)

I did get a sheepskin one you missed the other day - going to turn it into mittens!

Cheers,
Steve

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Oh thanks Steve, that explains the lack of old leather coats in the shops;)

I did get a sheepskin one you missed the other day - going to turn it into mittens!

Cheers,
Steve

LOL the leather stuff she's going to put to one side are the ones that won't reach the shop floor.

If they've got a button missing or a small tear they're rejected and just dumped :eek: so I'm going to do them a favour taking them off their hands :rolleyes:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Ive noticed alot of people on here seem to pickup things in charity shops, could you guys give me a idea of what things to look for and what they can be used to make or used for.

Thanks Lewis

It's very simple - you keep a look out for the things you need.

Dec 30, 2009
northampton
the local tips are always worth a look got a moss green tent and a tipi the other day for a fiver only wanted the ground sheet for lavvu a ww2 grenade box 1.50 and after a short chat an a fag he give me a gas lantern hed kept for fishing

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Not many "quality" standard charity shops around here, they mainly thrive on chipped china tea sets and polyester womens clothing, but the occasional item comes in in isolation.
Best place for me is a "Recycling" yard in the next big town about 18 miles away - get some files and hedge clippers to make into knives once in a while.
A lot of the stuff I recycle myself comes from my own hoard from years of not wanting to throw anything away!

ATB

Ogri the trog

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Between car boots and charity shops I've found down sleeping bags for a fiver, three airbeds for a fiver, a few thick wool jumpers, rucksacks, mess tins, folding twin burner gas stove, leather walking boots, the list just goes on and on. I'm a serial wombler though, I've been known to recyle fly tipped junk.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Look lots, buy little and only stuff you realy want or can shift to someone straight away is my advice as its very easy to get stuff that seamed a good idea at the time and then you find it in a kit bag five years later wondering why you bought it.

Get to know the staff and unless you are a right git they will look out for things you are after. The especially appreciate (this is assuming that you don't want it yourself of course) being told that something is worth a lot more than they are asking. After all they are doing it to make money for good causes so I never feel guilty about depriving someone else of a bargain.

When examining clothes apart from the obvious like great big holes in it a good way of telling how much wear it's actually had is by looking closely at the zip pulls these are usually painted or made of a metal that shows wear. If the edges are chipped its probably seen a lot of use, been washed meny times so you may want to examine it closer before buying.

The amount off fluff in the velcro, although easily combed out (especially if you have dog brush in the house) is another good sign of how much service the garment as seen. It may not matter if you are just going to hammer it at work but if you are after the best you can get for the money its worth being fussy. So many people buy outdoors kit, wear it a few times and it ends up in Help the Aged or wherever you can be choosey.

In the back bedroom is a pile of rucksacks nearly three foot high for the kids and wife to use and maybe two of them came out of proper shops and none of them had been used more than a few times or I wouldn't have bothered with them. At most they needed a wash.

Sorry I'm rambling on but there is so much good kit out there carboots, fleas and charity shops....

Lets see in the last 7 days I found
2 unused pure wool white blankets (ideal for dying for once) not Whitneys but some Manchester company £2.95 each

Unworn (unless someone liked a plastic tag sticking in there neck) Large bright orange Karrimor fleece £3

Karrimore Lynx 3 rucksack, needed a wash, no scratches on buckles) £2

Issue Goretex DPM trousers (some wear on very bottom ) big enough for my fat gut £1.50

5 unused Cutty clay pipes still in the sawdust 50p each

a sack full of reference books etc etc etc, its a rare day I don't find somethng in my dinner hour. Oh the week before last I got a modern Dutch Louet S15 spinning wheel for £20! Ok I refurbed it but only because I was giving it to some one, realy it just needed wiping down.

Ok, I'll get my coat

Tom

Last edited:

Commoner

Jan 29, 2010
Hampshire
good last post. I also us ethe council tip, a few bob will get you allsorts of handy stuff. just picked up a boy's bike and baby carrier for £15 :D and no end of pots, tools, books etc.

I never cease to be appalled by the things people throw away as "rubbish" makes me weep. Our grandkids will be digging raw materials out of the tips if we don't stop wasting so much of this planet's resources!

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Our grandkids will be digging raw materials out of the tips if we don't stop wasting so much of this planet's resources!

I believe this is already going on in some less 'developed' parts of the world.
This week's haul includes some heavy green salopettes for the next big snow, a fleece and a pair of skis I plan to use as runners for a sledge.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I think the key is to go in with an open mind....... there are lots of things that can be turned to an alternative use, take 'our' well loved hobo stoves / cutlery drainers ;)

I don't think you can go with a shopping list per se' as you will more often than not be disappointed. You need to see through the items :D

P

Pcwizme

My uncle (and by association me as he never uses them) have had loads of Fur coats and hats and bits out of charity shops, as they wont sell them so throw them away, we made the point to ask after someone pointed this out to us and now they put them in a black bag for us and we dispose of them for them and they get a £10 dontation. Every bodys happy :D

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Loads of you have mentioned having a look down at the local tip, but I've found it varies for county to county whether you'll be lucky enough find this facility. Our local dumps don't keep anything back, nor do they sort out or set any stuff aside to sell to interested parties. If it comes to the tip here, then it goes in a skip - which to my mind is a crying shame (I once watched a guy chuck an entire dining suite into a crusher, table and chairs - all perfectly sound).

In fact, if you have the temerity to ask, they guys regard you as though you were some dangerous species of subversive and it's more than their jobs are worth to let you take something, let alone pay a small gratuity for it. It's a very wasteful attitude and very sad. Yet if I got to see my mate down in Dorest, her local tip has a separate area where you can browse through the various rescued bits and bobs and pay whatever the Dump manager deems a reasonable price. She's had many useful things, from bikes to table looms and more. Having said that I recon it still pays to ask politely anyway, you might get lucky and occasionally I've managed to intercept a person on their way to the crusher and bag something useful.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I got one of these expresso coffee pots yesterday for £1.50 in my local charity shop. Unused, with instructions.

http://www.whittard.co.uk/store/cat...6004/3-cup-Stovetop-Espresso-Maker-113829.raa

Mine isn't labelled as Whittards, but having looked at one in the Whittards shop today, the mouldings/design details/machine marks etc are identical.

My other good buys were two Whitney blankets. One is a 4 point trade blanket, which is a bit well used, and the other a blue one labelled as a second, but in good condition, and at £3.00 each, I can't complain.

I've also had a couple of good quality shirts (Vyella) at £3.50 each.

Graham

But its seems to take a lot of looking to get anything worth buying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE