Charity shops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lewiman201

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2008
wokingham
Ive noticed alot of people on here seem to pickup things in charity shops, could you guys give me a idea of what things to look for and what they can be used to make or used for.

Thanks Lewis

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Im always on the lookout for stainless steel sugar,coffee,tea pots.Perfect for billycans or a posh hobo stove.
They are good source of leather for recycling into pouches and stuff..

Inusuit

Dec 30, 2009
Wyoming, USA
In the shops here, I look for Pendleton wool shirts often like new for $5. I found a nice pair of Sorrel boots for $6.00. Silk scarves for $2. Occasionally surplus wool shirts or pants show up, but rarely. I've found several nice wool sweaters, including a Hudson Bay brand, a very heavy Woolrich, and a really posh cashmere. I try to be open to options. If I go in looking for some specific thing, I'll miss a good deal on something else. . Still regret passing on a waxed cotton jacket for $15, in my size. Until I read the post above, I hadn't thought to look for stainless kit.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've wombled a few bits from the local shops, namely leather cushions to cut up for bags, steel canisters and candle holders, a large steel trivet to use on a fire, a few books and a cheap maglite copy to leave in the car.

My sister-in-law picked up one of Rays early books for a couple of quid down in Bath. I was dead chuffed when it arrived in the post out of the blue.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Car boot sales are usually worth a mooch if you have a biggish one close to you. I go to the big one round here when ever I'm not working when it's on, I might have been a dozen times since I started bothering about 6 or 8 months ago, so far I've managed to pick up something every time.

Last week, I picked up an old rodgers mini bowie and a Trangia 25. £7, you can't loose.

After reading this, I'm going to be hitting up charity shops as well, I never thought of it to be honest.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Open eyes, open mind.
I have had a huge cool box for a fiver. Packs enough for all six of us to have ample picnic. Crombie coat for posh events, pots, fishing tackle, wax cotton leggings, sofas. The list goes on. Be imaginative.

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
I might have a look in my local charity shops, see if they have any blankets. I want to make my own camp smock.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
You just have to pop in often and be prepared to come out empty handed quite a lot of the time. I really don't like mall-type shopping, they have the same stuff whichever town you find yourself in. I like the little moment of anticipation when you go into a charity shop and think "I wonder what they have today..."

Best scores so far:
- Guitar
- Esbit stove
- Superb breathable jacket with zipped in liner
- Gunslip.

Car boot sales are the same, you never know what you'll find.

Cheers,
Steve

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It depends what town you're in.
I've definitely noticed that posh towns have the best charity shops because there's better quality items being given away.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Posh town do have the best stuff.
My wife looked in on a shop in Hove and got a pair of Gabor boots brand new for £10.00. I looked them up on the internet they were £180 + delivery.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm lucky... I'm paid to go into charity shops :D as part of my job.

I've got one of the shop managers who has promised to keep any wool blankets to one side for me and will keep any old leather coat rejects for me also :rolleyes:

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Be aware that posh towns also tend to mean posh prices, the more organised and well presented the shop, the more you can expect to pay. Which is fine (it is for charity after all), but I do make a point of seeking out the lesser known charity shops in obscure backstreets where everything is often happily jumbled. They may look unpreposessing when you go in but you can often find real gems. Maslin pans, cast iron pots, padded/lined heavy duty army trousers, blankets, baskets (for foraging), books, tools, all kinds of stuff has turned up in the past.

As has been said, whether it's a bootfair, jumble sale or charity shop you're at - take your time to look well and keep an open mind.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
It sometimes pays to get rid of things through Charity shops as well. Talk to the staff, get to know them, tell them what you are looking and pop in from time to time. I picked up a brand new, still had the labels on, pair of cargo trousers the other day for a fiver. It works for me!!:)

I love a good charity shop bargain, and over the years searching in Sweden and UK, I've been lucky enough to find...

Fjällräven G1000 trousers (SWE)
2 x Fjällräven Greenland Jackets (UK+SWE)
Montcler Down Jacket (SWE)
Berghaus Down Jacket (UK)
Various Cast Iron Pans (UK+SWE)
Wooden Kuksa (SWE)
French Army Gortex Jacket (UK)
Various Stainless Steel Pots (UK)
Various Old Moras (SWE)
Traditional Thick Norwegian Sweater (UK)
Ray Mears Books (UK)
Big bunch of Scottish OS maps
etc etc
Last weekend I got a great traditional thick old woollen duffle coat. Looks like something that wood have been worn on a WWII arctic convoy!

Last edited:

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
I feel the golden age of car boot sales and charity shops are pretty much gone given the availability of the internet. It is very easy to find the worth of something these days. My parents were never hoarders and I cringe at the stuff they gave away which would be quite valuable and desirable these days.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Bought a Berghaus Cyclops Roc army issue bergen for £4 from a charity shop the other day, bargain.
My wife introduced me to the pleasures of charity shopping and have never looked back.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Bought a Berghaus Cyclops Roc army issue bergen for £4 from a charity shop the other day, bargain.
My wife introduced me to the pleasures of charity shopping and have never looked back.

Visiting charity shops as a sound basis for a marriage - wonderfulgoodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE