Egg/Brain-tanning sheepskins - tips - picture heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I got hold of 9 sheepskins and have been trying to tan them using eggs and the help, expertise and encouragement of Dogwood from the forum (thanks Dogwood!!). I've only tanned rabbit pelts before, so I was surprised by how many complications I hit during the process. I thought it might help to share some of the things I've learned in case anyone else fancies trying their hand at some chamois leather. Basic process I followed is at the bottom of the post, things I learned were:

1) It's a good idea to wear waterproof trousers, worn outside your wellington boots, so that any fluid draining off the skins you're scraping goes onto the floor and not into your wellies nor all over your trousers.
2) Scraping hides, pulling nylon cord taught et c. is all very hard on the hands - it's a good idea to wear gardening gloves. If you have cuts or blisters, then wear surgical gloves underneath to try and keep the worst of the bacterial gloop from the skins out of your cuts. Make sure you have plenty of antiseptic cream in stock!
3) Sheep wool often has marker dye on it - this doesn't come off very easily at all, so best to tan skins with the least dye if you want to keep the wool on.
picture.php

4) Sheep come in two types, wool sheep and hair sheep. Hair sheep make the best leather (wool-off).
5) Age makes a difference to the skin. Wool sheep more than 1 year old tend to get fatty globules in the junction layer of the skin and the layers delaminate. This means the grain scrapes off as well as the epidermis in patches, so you end up having to scrape the same amount off all over to get an even thickness of leather. The leather produced this way is very thin.
picture.php

6) If you are in a very humid/wet part of the world, such as Cornwall, then the skins take much longer to dry. If you are tanning wool-on, so there is wet wool, the skins take even longer to dry. This means the wool will start to slip due to bacterial action after a few days. To prevent this, you will need to dry the skins more quickly somehow - put a heater on nearby or hang them over a fire or something. It's possible bark tanning would resolve this problem, since the tanning solution prevents bacterial action, but I haven't tried this yet. (thanks Dogwood for that advice!).
7) If you use a fire to speed up the drying of your sheepskin, you'll find that the dry wool insulates the skin from the heat. Once the wool is dry, you'll need to turn the skin around to dry the other side.
8) If a sheep has suffered an illness or some kind of stress (I had one that had been through a difficult lambing), they often lose patches of their wool. Watch for this if you're trying to make a woolly rug!
picture.php

The basic process I followed was:
The skins were all frozen, so I soaked them overnight to defrost and soften the fleshy bits.
The following day, I scraped the flesh and membranes off the inside of the hides using half a telegraph pole as a scraping post and a straight sided but blunt metal blade to scrape with. (For rabbits, I just use a sharpened piece of wood, so using metal was already new to me!)
My scraping post can be seen below, where I was doing a wool-off hide.
picture.php

The process now diverges depending on whether you're doing wool-on or making chamois leather:
Wool on
I washed the wool thoroughly with soap and tried to get rid of any marker dye/stains.
Wool off
I put the skin into a lye solution for a few days, until the wool started to slip.
Next, I removed the wool and scraped the epidermal layer off the skin - I did this in two stages, removing the wool first and keeping it aside as I want to use it for something else and then scraping the epidermal layer off. If I had difficulty scraping the epidermis off, I put it back in the lye solution a bit longer and then tried again.
Once scraped, I washed the skin to get rid of the awful stench. They really smell after a few days in lye solution!
Both wool-on and wool-off
I stretched the hides on a frame. To get an even tension, I used one piece of nylon string and wound it round and round through the frame and hide. The string went through the hide about every 5 inches around the edge. A leather needle helps with this.
picture.php

I let the skin dry a bit, just enough so it's still tacky and will absorb more moisture when I added the tanning solution, but not too much or the solution runs over the top and refuses to soak in.
I made a batch of tanning solution. For each sheepskin, I used 4 eggs and 2 egg yolks with a dash of hot water to make the mixture hand-warm (thanks to Dogwood for the proportions). This was enough to rub into one sheep hide thoroughly. I tried to work as much of the solution into the hide as possible from the inside of the hide if wool-on, on both sides if wool-off.
I allowed the skin to dry - manipulating it as it dries to keep it soft. Once the skin started to change colour when I stretched it (the skins I have turn pale) I take them off the frame and start pulling them around a taught piece of baler's twine. (A pole or piece of cable would do instead). I keep working the skin until it is completely dry. Holding the wool-off skins up to the light helps show where the skin is still damp, as these areas let more light through.
Once the skins were dry and soft, I stored them inside the house to ensure they don't get damp again before I get a chance to smoke them.

Last edited:

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Folks,

I'm not sure how many of you noticed but Cyclingrelf is undertaking multiple hides at once -- a super ambitious action for someone who hasn't done larger hides before.

And she's handled it -- and the surprises along the way -- like a real champ. I know I couldn't have done that when I was starting off. I bow before you, Cyclingrelf!

And one other note: she's showing lots of consideration for the BCUK community by taking those pictures in process during scraping and graining. Until you've done it you have no idea how wet and messy it can be, and the fact that she took the time out to take the pictures is great.

I'm going to post some new tanning instructions soon and I blush to admit that I skipped taking pictures of some of the messiest parts simply because I was too selfish to be willing to stop and dry off and get out the camera. So Cyclingrelf's pictures are a real act of love for everyone here!

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great post. It is a very time consuming job but very enjoyable.....I would recommend that anyone has a go but allow lots of time!!!
Dave

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Having softened the sheepskins, they have been waiting in my bedroom for me to get around to smoking them. I mostly tried to follow Dogwood's instructions, found here.

The Cornish weather isn't known for being dry, so I decided to set up a smoker underneath a tarpaulin.
picture.php

Construction of the smoker was more or less as shown in the animation below, though the stonework wasn't quite so neat as I was mostly using lumps of granite. Also, I dug a pit for the fireplace, so most of the smoker is below ground level.
smoker.gif

Completed smoker is shown below with the fire lit and smoke starting to come out of the chimney (an old bit of chimney liner I found lying around the farm). I've been using a mixture of Hawthorn twigs and pieces of Hawthorn punk to keep the fire smoking.
picture.php

I decided to start with one sheepskin in case I have a disaster, so sewed it into a bag. Around the opening of the bag, I sewed some old cotton from a sheet. I put the cotton over the chimney and held it in place with a piece of string (not synthetic, in case it got hot). Then I waited for the colour to show through the skin. A lot of smoke was escaping through the sheet - I think for my next attempt I'll try and find some canvass or denim as per Dogwood's instructions. I stopped most of the smoke seen here escaping from the fireplace by piling on more mud.
picture.php

Once the colour was showing through, I turned the skin bag inside out and reattached it to the chimney.
picture.php

That's as far as I got today - more tomorrow. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I take my hat off to you over this lot, I really do :D
I know how much work one skin is, to do nine at once.....:eek:

I haven't smoked a skin like this, so I'm finding your experience interesting. I hadn't thought of doing it the way you have; that's neat :)

I was just going to build a small wigwam of hazel and cover it with bracken, hang the skin up within and light a punky fire at the bottom. I've been making faggots from Apple, Bog Myrtle, Mugwort and Oak with a mishmash of broken out fomes in the middle, that I thought would give me a good smokey slow burn as a base.

cheers,
M

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
This thread is what brought me to BCUK in the first place (thanks Google :D) looking to learn how to tan 2 hides from deer hunting.
I've been awaiting the next installment ;)
That section of chimney is a brilliant idea. Does it drop the temperature of the smoke much do you think? I tried just draping a hide over coals with punky wood tossed on, flare ups and foul language ensued. Your idea looks
much easier to control.
That has now smoked to a lovely colour goodjob

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi Toddy, I'd love to see your set up. I was considering something similar until I happened on the old chimney liner :)

Rory - welcome to BCUK! I'm really glad you've found my antics helpful, it makes it worth the effort of posting. The chimney does drop the temperature of the smoke a lot, especially once the bag is fitted, reducing the draw. It also gets the skins up out of the way of all but the most errant spark. I'll definitely do the other skins I have this way, the only alteration being that I'm going to find some denim or canvass for the skirt to the bag. The old cotton sheet was just too thin.

Have you finished both your deer hides now? How did it go?

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Great job!

I love your solution with the chimney. It really reduces the chance of a flare-up.

The one you've done has a great color to it. It will likely be pretty sticky and smell smoky.

Let it hang for a couple of days to air out. Then, when you've got the others done and they've aired out a bit, you can rinse them in a bucket of water to get rid of the stickiness and the smoke smell.

You can hang them up do dry -- now that they're smoked, they won't get stiff. If you like, you can tug on them a little to stretch them out as they dry, but it's not important. A couple of strokes over a stake and they'll be soft as new.

BUT -- here's the cool part. Save the smoky water you get when you rinse the hides. (It will likely be almost as dark as coffee). You can use this with your next hides. When you make your egg and water mix, use the smokey water instead of regular water. This will make softening the next hides easier because it kind of pre-smokes them.

Just leave the smokey water in a five gallon bucket, put the top on and stash it in the shed until you do your next hides. (Every now and then you can get a little mold on top of the smokey water you store -- it's nothing to worry about, just skim it off before using it.)

You've really done a great job on these hides!

Jan 16, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Love this thread. I'm a Canadian shepherd of a tiny flock of Jacob sheep and have been storing hides of any harvested animals for the purposes of tanning. Their spotted wool makes for a striking skin. I've finished a couple of deer hides, fairly successfully, using the technique that Matt Richardson describes in Deerskins Into Buckskins (recommended), but hadn't found a good reference on hair-on tanning for my sheepskins. This thread inspired me to just give 'er. I'd like to stress that I have very little experience with sheep skins. In fact, I'm not yet happy with any I've produced, but they are improving. I'll share some of my experiences. Reading between the lines will reveal my mistakes.

If you are starting with a live animal, do yourself a favour and flesh the hide as soon as possible after death. Sheepskins are quite easy to flesh and membrane. This is an easy chore even after cutting a carcass up into freezer-ready cuts of meat, so there's no need to wait. Also, make the cuts needed to remove the hide then put your knife away until the skinning is complete. Fisting a hide off might require more elbow grease, but it's faster and doesn't risk a hole in the hide. (I have a relative who likes to help whenever I'm harvesting a lamb, but prefers to use knives for skinning. Now, I don't tell him of my plans.)

Once fleshed, freezing is the best way to store hides, but if you don't have the freezer space or can't depend on freezing temperatures until you're ready to tan, wet salting is the next best thing. Lay the hide out flat, flesh-side up, and cover it in a thin layer of salt. Come back in a couple of hours and even out the salt, adding more if necessary. Leave it for a few more hours (or over night), brush off most of the salt, roll the hide up, and stuff it into a 5-gallon bucket so that any liquid can drain down. Securely fasten a lid over the bucket. A day or so later, remove the hide, dump the liquid and either place the hide back into the bucket (and replace the lid), or place it in a plastic bag. Kept in a cool place, it should store for at least a few months.

Salting and drying also works, but if the hides weren't properly fleshed before drying, soak them for at least a few hours before fleshing. The whole hide should be pliable. If any part of it isn't, then keep soaking. I've got a hide with a bunch of tears because some fat prevented water from soaking in. In my impatience, I started fleshing before it was ready. Lesson learned.

Really work the dressing into the hide. I've been using 1/4 cup of neatsfoot oil, 1/4 bar of soap, and two cups of water. I apply it as hot as I can stand and use just about the whole works for a lamb hide, spending at least 45 minutes applying some dressing, working it into every inch of the hide, stretching the hide, taking a break, and then repeating, until it's all gone. Then I roll the hide up in towel and squash the roll with my knees to remove the unabsorbed dressing. This is a lot of work, but redressing and re-softening is a lot more.

I'll leave it there...because I've got a couple of hides that need some attention. Time for softening.

Last edited:

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi Rural - welcome to BCUK! Jacobs are beautiful aren't they? Thanks so much for sharing your experiences too - interesting to hear what you've found out so far and useful to have your tips.
Thanks for the encouragement Dogwood - I'll bear in mind that it's a good idea to keep the smokey water.

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
Have you finished both your deer hides now? How did it go?
After trying to smoke them hide-on and not being very successful, I've decided to remove the hair, mostly to make them easier to handle. Because of temperature constraints, I couldn't really soak the hides much to slip the hair, so I've been just working it off with the edge of a piece of angle iron. Working on a frozen hide is maybe not the most enjoyable pastime I've encountered, so the project is on hold till closer to spring.
I'll have to head out and collect some properly punky wood, as what I had still had enough "wood" left in it to burn( remember the foul language bit?)
All that time around wooden boats, and now I'm actually looking for rot to bring home! Strange how the world turns...

How have you been making out?

Poco

Jan 15, 2010
Manchester
thanks for that, I am looking to do a few rabbit skins for gloves, do you think the same technique will work or will it need changing slightly?

Jan 16, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Dogwood's smoky water tip seems like it could be really valuable. Smoking before softening is supposed to make for thin and fragile hides, but this might get around the issue. In theory, after applying a smoky dressing, one could soften as much as convenient, let the hide dry, wait until there is time to continue, then damp-back and pick up where it was left off. For someone with a full-time job, a family, a farm, and a house beginning construction, this would be a major convenience. It would also reduce the pain of not properly dressing, because some of your softening work would remain after re-dressing.

So I'm just about done softening another two sheep hides. One was really close to being done, maybe another couple of hours would have done it. There were still a couple wet parts, but the bulk of the hide was starting to warm up. And we all know that when a hide doesn't feel cool to the touch, it's as good as done. The other hide probably needs around six hours. It's still fairly moist.

Of course, I only work the hides for a couple of minutes every half-hour. When the hide is getting really close, I'll double this to a couple of minutes every fifteen minutes. But if enough dressing has been properly worked in, they seem to soften pretty well this way.

I think my process could be sped up by hanging the hides so that air could freely access both sides. I've just been laying them flat, wool-side down, on the floor when I'm not working them. There's a fair bit of moisture on the wool-side, and that's not helping them dry any quicker.

These hides are the first sheepskins I've done where I'm happy with how the softening is going. (My last try is sitting in the basement in needs of re-dressing and re-softening.) The one hide is looking to be my best so far, well-softened, nice thick fleece, and not a single hole or tear.

My anticipation of having my first properly finished sheepskins is growing. I'm just an evening of softening and another of smoking away from having the raw materials for some useful winter-wear (mittens). With some cold weather coming, and some long drives over the next few weeks, some seat-covers may be in my future. (I know. Tacky. But it beats sitting on vinyl at -25C.)

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Dogwood's smoky water tip seems like it could be really valuable. Smoking before softening is supposed to make for thin and fragile hides, but this might get around the issue. In theory, after applying a smoky dressing, one could soften as much as convenient, let the hide dry, wait until there is time to continue, then damp-back and pick up where it was left off.

Rural,

The smoky water trick doesn't exactly give you the full effect of smoking -- it just makes softening a little easier. I've never tried to use smokey water to work a hide, and then let it dry without fully softening and then damp back to finish. I suspect you'd end up with a hide that would need redressing. If you try it, though, please post and let us know how that works.

In my experience with deer hides, what the smokey water does is give you a wider margin for error on the softening -- you can take somewhat longer breaks when softening etc. So it makes life a bit easier. That matters a lot to me because in humid San Francisco, it can take FOREVER for a hide to dry.

Kind of like the UK that way :)

Congratulations on the sheep skins! I'd love to see a picture of them.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
thanks for that, I am looking to do a few rabbit skins for gloves, do you think the same technique will work or will it need changing slightly?

Hi Poco, I've tanned a couple of rabbit hides and put pictures here. The main difference is that they're much thinner skinned, so I actually used a piece of wood shaped like a chisel to scrape the membranes off rather than metal. Metal blades would be very likely to hole the skin. So, yes. The same process works, but everything is much more delicate :)

Rory - no wonder you were swearing! Let us know how it goes in the spring - hopefully you'll have some lovely buckskin in the next few months. I smoked another two hides yesterday (fitting it in between all the other things I had to do), should get some more done today.

Rural - it sounds like you've got quite an industry going on there. I've been using pretty much the same schedule as you for working them. Seems the last bit,when the hide is starting to change colour, is most crucial. I'm interested you're laying the hides on the floor - about how long do they take to dry? Mine were taking several days even though I had them hung on frames, and a few days was just long enough for bacterial action to make the wool slip, but I'm guessing Alberta is less humid than Cornwall?
I love the car-seat idea - I might have a go at that myself! I would also love to see a picture, I bet your fleeces are really striking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE