What are people wearing/doing to camoflage themselves when stalking and tracking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
FYI : all animals have a flight distance that does not vary hardly at all within the species.. What I mean by this, is that once an animal spots you, it will not necessarily run off immediately. It will continue to browse (all the while keeping an eye on you) until you get into their flight distance. There personal space "bubble" if you will. -- That distance between you and them that is uncomfortably close for them -- at that point, they will flee.

Some animals and birds bolt very early, other much later.

Pheasants and quail and i'm sure other birds as well, are well known for flying relatively late in the early part of hunting season and taking flight much sooner, later in the season. As they become more acutely attuned to the fact that they are being hunted, the sooner they flee.

Having a general idea about the flight distance of the animal that you are hunting will give you a distinct edge as to knowing when to stalk farther or stop stalking and take the shot. I suppose you might find this data online somewhere, but the best way to get it is to just observe what happens as you stalk closer and closer.

Please remember, I'm talking about after you have been seen.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
One of the simplest, and best winter camoflage outfits I have ever run across is the German Army winter smock. It is a hooded pull-over design. It is a one size fits all design. I'm 5 ft. 9in. and it comes nearly to my ankles. Actually a bit long for me, but any seamstress could alter one quite cheaply, i'm sure.

I have seen them in plain white and in white with a scattering of clumps of green pine needles. This is the one I prefer. If you are in a coniferous forest and there is snow on the trees, you just disappear.

Nice thing about the hood is you can wear any cap you like, and you still have your white camoflage. I was able to buy mine very cheaply.

By the way, when i'm hunting in the winter, i wrap my gun with some strips of white sheet that my wife was going to throw away. Works great.

Another tip, they sell a tape here in the U.S. called Coban tape. As far as I know it was first used to wrap the legs of race horses, later used by medical doctors in place of adhesive tape. It does not stick to what ever you are applying it to but it sticks to itself. It can be removed and used over again, several times. You can but it in many bright colors, but it comes in white (good for winter) and I have just seen it showing up in a camo configuration,.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Has anyone who hunts regularly with camo ever had a go without, to see how much difference it makes in their success ?

I've never taken the step beyond a wax jacket, and wanted to know if it'll be worth it. And is there one thing that has more effect than the others (glass, face, hands, pattern, outline) ?

(OK, I'll admit to occasional hat use to confuse the pigeons)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
This is an interesting thread with the old rut coming up and all....I really want to get some good pic's as its my first rut with a decent lens. I was looking at ghillie suits but the always seem really rustly however I will now read the other thread and see what was said.My army buddy used to get a hessian sack and poke stuff like bracken in to it but alas may not be for me. I think alot of belly sliding will be in order this autumn!
Dave

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Tommy the Cat: I have sit beside a deer trail (maybe 5 m. off the trail, no more) with a ghillie suit on, and on the same day, in about a 2 or 3 hour period had a fox, an armadillo, and a deer walk past me without so much as a glance from the fox or the nearsighted armadillo. The deer, interestingly enough was walking/browsing and would periodically stop and look directly at me. Apparently something about me did not look quite right or smell quite right, but she never became alarmed. She just slowly browsed her way on down the trail.

If you are not actually hunting, just position yourself where you might expect to see deer, or whatever you are out to photograph, ghillie up and sit very still. I cannot overemphasize the fact that you must sit STILL. If you are prone to fidgiting and squirming about, you are not going to have a good outcome, most likely.

It is a good idea to cut some branches off of nearby trees and stick them in the ground in front of you to further help break up your pattern. Nothing excessive, you are not trying to hide behind them. Just break up your pattern.

Belly sliding is really not necessary if you pick a good location and/or have a good telephoto lens. If you go to crawling about, you are almost certainly going to be seen.

It has been mentioned in this thread that ghillie suits snag on everything you pass. This is probably an understatement. Don't attempt to walk in the woods wearing a ghillie suit, Unless you are into "frustration." It is really a stationary blind. Find a large tree to lean back against. This hides you from anything coming from behind, and allows you to rest your back (the smoother the bark the better!)

If you are young, it works to just sit on the ground. I strongly advise a piece of high density foam between you and the ground for comfort and to stop the inevitable dampness. If you are older, this position will be killing you after about 15 minutes. In that case, sit on the lowest stool that will work for you. There are some very low camp stools available, that are quite light.

If you need to move a bit, and you will, do it in slow-motion.

Don't forget to de-scent you and your clothing. This is extremely important.

All of this advice is based on years of successful turkey hunting. A turkey is probably the wiliest bird that there is. They have excellent vision and are apparently genetically "wired" to spot movement. What I have told you works on them. I have had them come within just a few yards of me. I have never took a turkey that wasn't under 35 yards. Oftentime, considerably less. Good luck with the camera.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I don't use cammo at all, just earth toned clothing (varies based on season and environment).

I generally only stalk if, after glassing the area, I see something worthwhile.

Most of the time, I scout deer trails (I usually hunt deer) and then locate myself in the crook of a large downed tree, shifting the branches around for a natural blind. Or I get n the treeline near a meadow. Then I wait. It's an approach that generally delivers results.

However, what I do use habitually is a smallish blanket that I drape over myself when waiting. And I'll pin it and tie it to my waist when moving.

My favorite hunting blanket has dark green and dark greenish gray stripes -- when bunched up around me the stripes turn into a random pattern. You can toss some leaves on top of the blanket if you like.

I find the blanket completely breaks up my form -- only a few inches of rifle barrel sticks out -- and it makes the waiting extremely comfortable. A nice tightly woven wool will shed light rain, is great in the snow and keeps you warm and comfy from the wind.

Also, if you arrange it right, you can move a little *under* the blanket without shifting the top around and alerting the prey.

If, when stalking, you encounter prey close, slowly dropping to the ground near a tree and pulling the blanket over you turns you into a pile of forest debris in the eyes of the prey.

A blanket bound around you properly doesn't snag very much unless you're in very dense cover -- and you can always roll it up if snags become a problem.

It really works extremely well for me, whether hunting or simply game spotting. I've literally had deer walk three feet from me when under my blanket.

It is *not* that great for bow hunting, but I still take my blanket then because I can rig it into a blind.

My habit is to rub the blanket in the ground in the area where I'm hunting to have it take on a more natural smell. I usually do this a couple of times a day to prevent my smell from building up on the blanket.

I believe -- but I'm not sure -- that this helps suppress my scent. When I'm under the blanket, wind moving over me doesn't carry my scent as much as the blankets. Or at least that's what I hope.

(I use blankets for sleeping too, but now I usually sleep under a different blanket than my "hunting blanket" to avoid scent accumulation. In really cold weather, though, well...)

Tommy the cat, such a setup could be very handy for you when you're out taking photos too.

I know, it's not all high-tech and gear-ish, but this low tech approach has worked well for me from Alaska to the West Coast to Arizona to the mountains of West Virginia, where I learned to hunt with a blanket as a youngster. Trust me, when it comes to hunting, if you get a chance to learn from hillbillies, take it....

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Blanket around the waist ? I had to read a bit further, because I read "kilt".
(which of course have there own snagging problems when the thistles are high)

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Blanket around the waist ? I had to read a bit further, because I read "kilt".
(which of course have there own snagging problems when the thistles are high)

I just checked on Youtube and there's a video of a guy doing it almost the same way I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni7a6BVhYZM

and this is even closer because he uses cord to tie the waist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36edZ0FtTU8

(In both these videos, they fiddle more with the hood than I do. I find it better to drape the head, tie the waist and then pin the neck. Faster that way..)

It's kind of an old fashioned thing, goes back to the frontier days in the states (matchcoats) and middle ages in Europe. When I lived in West Virginia for a while as a kid, everyone in my area hunted in Pendletons and blankets.

You've got a lot of flexibility with a blanket. Snags can be a problem with any clothing in very brambly environments, naturally. But you can always take it off, roll it up and keep moving until you find your spot.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Has anyone who hunts regularly with camo ever had a go without, to see how much difference it makes in their success ?

I've never taken the step beyond a wax jacket, and wanted to know if it'll be worth it. And is there one thing that has more effect than the others (glass, face, hands, pattern, outline) ?

(OK, I'll admit to occasional hat use to confuse the pigeons)

Chance, I'll try to answer your questions as briefly as possible. I spent most of my life hunting without camo. You do not NEED camo. However, its effective, fairly cheap, and easy to wear. As several others have stated subdued earth tones will work quite well. Camo probably is the simplest and easiest way to "blend in". A ghillie suit is undoubtedly the best way to "blend in" but, is a major hassle. Plus' you alway run the risk of some jackass thinking you are Bigfoot and taking a shot at you. (Don't laugh, a kid who was planning on frightening some friends in the woods, put on a gorilla suit and was shot and killed by a hunter last year.)

None of the great hunters of renown even knew what camo was, but did very well nevertheless. I'll wager the likes of Davy Crockett, Dan'l Boone, and others blended in very well wearing their bukskins and coonskin caps.

Dogwood's blanket idea is seldom seen anymore but it is a "golden oldie" that apparently works very well. I would suggest a wool blanket for warmth and for the shedding of rain. But, I will be the first to admit that I have never tried it, but I think, particularly in clold weather it would be just the ticket.

I would say, and this is somewhat of a guess; breaking up the "human" pattern, is the most important. also, not to be repetitious, but, cover the white, shiny skin.

The wax jacket should be just fine if it is in those typical chocolate brown and loden greens that you usually find them in, or some earth tone.

The hat is a very good idea on several levels; cold, rain, sun, and if it has a floppy brim it breaks the shape of the human head and and shadows the face as well. Stick with the hat.

I hope this answers the questions that you raised. Good luck with whatever kit you come up with.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Something that I intended to mention earlier, but it slipped my mind, is the military gas attack suits. Sometime back I was able to buy a British Army, chemical warfare suit. They consist of a pair of pants and a pull over top. They come in the Dispersed Pattern camo pattern identical to the regular woodland uniform.

they are in two separate layers that have a layer of charcoal between the inner and outer fabric layers. The plus factor for these suits is that the charcoal layer stops body odor from getting out of the suit. End result, animals cant smell you or at least have to be much closer. They are thick and repel water quite well, and are relatively warm on a cold day. On the down side they are heavy and unbearably hot on a hot day.

I bought mine here in the U.S. for practically nothing. It was sealed in an air and water tight bag and was unissued. I can only guess what the MOD paid for these. If you can find one you might want to give it a try.

we had a series of bitter winters in the 70's and 80's. i wore cheap sleeping bags belted at the waist.

used cotton, the nylon ones were much too noisey.

if you can sit still or move very slooooow, you can wear almost anything. my proof; most states require hunter orange while big game hunting.

my favorite camo memory is a gent in full costume, make up and brand new white sneakers. audibly stealthy, visually not so much.

Adamm

Feb 27, 2005
Burderop, Wilts
Sense of humour warning! The following is a joke. If you are offended put down the rifle carefully, get back in to your special jacket and get the help you need.

Wow some of you boys are serious. Luckily I WAS given an action man as child. Although to be honest I've put on a bit of weight recently and could really do with fuzzing my edges.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
One of the most important parts of not being quite so noticeable is to sway when everything else does, in the same direction, same time.

If you stand there stock still while the wind moves everything else you'll stand out, plus when everything else is moving is a good time to move forwards. Stop when everything else does, you'll easily get into the flow, works great.

I try to think about what the world looks like from the anmals point of view (literally) and act accordingly, get best photo's that way!

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
oOo Hide and seek Thread :D

Most of my stalking is done on the open hill. This means that there is very little cover. Tweed is the tradition, and very good... for concealment. However actual Tweed is a bit of a pain, it is very heavy when wet and not that waterproof. so on my legs I wear Stealth Tweed Plus 4's (http://www.nomaduk.net/stealth_tweed_range.htm) from Nomad. They are fully waterproof and windproof, you have my word on it. I prefer plus fours as the 2" fold over goes outside your gaiters and makes them much more waterproof than "normal" breeks, which often ride up leaves a cold soggy knee when you crawl. I dont think trousers are nearly as comfy with breeks. I wear either a Swazi Tahr smock or a Swanndri Bush shirt on top. The Swazi is a Tan color that suits the dead grasses well, where the swanndri is more suited to the dark caledonian woodlands that I stalk as well. Although I will use the Swanndri on the hill as well and visa versa, it really depends on the season, weather conditions. I sometimes use Advantage Timber, but not nearly as often as Ill wear my other coats, mainly because I dont like it as much. The other understalker on the estate wear a Advantage jacket, and he doesnt shoot more or less deer than me :) As said above, most important is Scent, Sight, Sound keep them down and you wont go far wrong.

Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE