Snow - an opportunity?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
We've finally got our share of the white stuff down here on the Land's End penninsula, coinciding with one of my days off work (woo hoo!). I'm thinking it's a good opportunity for me to learn a bit more about tracking. Anyone got any tips?

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Follow the footprints :D

Nah, seriously it depends what you want to achieve. If you do it just for a bit of fun then take the above advice and see where it leads, see what they do.

I like it when you see rabbit tracks about the place and then see fox tracks following them, you can picture the fox hunting the rabbits and sometimes even find a kill site.

If you hunt then use them to locate quarry hotspots and warrens. Plenty of tracks about in the snow. Its a good way to find an animals habits or their homes

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
If the snow is yellow... don't use it to make tea :eek:
:lmao: Tea sounds a good plan, though. I've never melted snow for drinks before as Cornwall doesn't get snow very often and I grew up in the tropics (ditto). Be interested to see how much water you get from a billy of snow...

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Thanks Hill Bill! Since I posted, another 2 cm has fallen, so covering last night's tracks. But I reckon if I go tobogganing for an hour or two, that'll give the bunnies, badgers, foxes et c a chance to leave some more spore...and it'll be fresh!

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
print some tracks of on paper and take it with you. me and my boy done some tracking yesterday in the woods. didnt know that there were foxs that came within 2 meters from my back door:)

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Get yourself out nice and early take a camera sketch a plan of any tracks you see make a note on where the feeding grounds are and where they go to the toilet, go home and study your findings with a good book for reference. Then you can visit the same spot once the snow has gone and see what signs you can pick up on.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I successfully tracked the feral cat from near the well to a patch of sheltered wall in the sunshine (miaow!) then followed the trail backwards to the barn full of hay...might have guessed!

More difficulty tracking the foxes. They keep disappearing onto patches of moor where the snow disappears under brush and thorns. At one point, they all clubbed together and had a meeting about the weather, rabbits and suchlike (I expect). Surprised at the lack of badger prints around the sett - am guessing they returned home a while ago and the prints have been covered by fresh snow? It's currently just finished snowing again.

Some pickies:
Terminator, the feral cat on the prowl
picture.php

Not sure - is this a dog?
picture.php

Is this a fox in deep snow - or a badger?
picture.php

Three tracks converging
picture.php

Bunny wabbit
picture.php

Popular path
picture.php

Badger sett or fox den?
picture.php

Jan 22, 2006
uk
Great post - looks like you're having a great time there!

I cant quite pick up the details from the photos, sometimes its helpful to take them in such a way that you get the shadows to pick out the detail (if possible) but the fox/ badger question looks too narrow to be a badger, its fairly obvious from the snuffling and antics when you find their tracks :)

My favourite tracks I've seen this year are a Magpie's. At least I'm fairly sure they're Magpie. They almost look as though a snake has slithered along the ground, up onto a hedge, across to another hedge, into my garden and then up onto the bin and then porch. Finally there's errr...jumbo fish finger sized impressions in the snow the other side of the porch (all from the tail).

My wife woke me up to show me the light the snow had created and the wierd 'flying snake' tracks, loved it!

Everyone freaks out in the snow UK grinds to a halt mostly, but the tracking is great fun and the place looks beautiful, so enjoy it I say!

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Thanks Hammock monkey :) I was veering towards those prints being fox as well. I should maybe have taken a bright torch to highlight the prints for photographing. I shall know next time!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Old tracking joke:

A cowboy was riding along a narrow trail and came upon a Native American, who was laying on the ground, with one ear pressed to the ground. The Native American looks up and says: " 27 buffalo, followed by three cowboys, one wearing a black hat, one a white hat, and the third one has a white hat and a bright yellow shirt. Two have Winchesters, one has a Sharps .45-120."

The cowboy says: My god, you can tell all of that just by putting your ear to the ground?

The Native American says: No, I was laying here preparing to take a nap and thats what ran over me!

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Old tracking joke:

A cowboy was riding along a narrow trail and came upon a Native American, who was laying on the ground, with one ear pressed to the ground. The Native American looks up and says: " 27 buffalo, followed by three cowboys, one wearing a black hat, one a white hat, and the third one has a white hat and a bright yellow shirt. Two have Winchesters, one has a Sharps .45-120."

The cowboy says: My god, you can tell all of that just by putting your ear to the ground?

The Native American says: No, I was laying here preparing to take a nap and thats what ran over me!

:lmao: I played a similar trick on some unobservant friends while out biking; the group I was with were unaware that another group of my mates was on the trail just ahead. I looked at the tracks, then described the size and number of the party and even identified the colour of a shirt (from 'stray threads'). They were suitably amazed when we caught up with the front runners!

N
Loving the snow for tracking - hope to head up the hill for some Arctic Hare spotting soon!

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Crumbs - that is an old joke! It's just long enough since I last heard it that I'd forgotten the punch line :)
Old tracking joke:

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Nice pics, thanks for taking the time and shareing them, we need more pics like that!!

I keep seeing loads of fox tracks, it's one busy fox around here or there's a few fox's about...hmm.

Is it right that there are only 5 posts in the tracking section of the forum? That's all I see when here, but searching reveals more threads...?

And I keep meaning to ask, do badgers and fox's smell different, or do they both simular? Sorry for the thread hijack, but thought I could slip it in as it's related stuff.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi taws, thanks for posting. I can only see 4 threads in the forum too...I guess the other tracking threads got posted in other forums.
No worries about the thread hijack - I'm interested to see the answers to your questions too. :)

And I keep meaning to ask, do badgers and fox's smell different, or do they both simular? Sorry for the thread hijack, but thought I could slip it in as it's related stuff.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
"No worries about the thread hijack - I'm interested to see the answers " - Great.

The tracking section really should be much bigger with many more pics. I'll try and add some too.

I can't tell from your pic, but I know a badgers set is normally more oval in shape at the entrance. I can't say for sure I've seen any badger prints in the snow, but not been out much either. Do they hibernate through snowy conditions? I know a few humans that do.... hehe!

Last edited:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Nyayo: I wish I had been there to see the look on your friends faces when they caught up with the other group. I'll bet it was priceless.

Jan 22, 2006
uk

hiya,
yes, they do smell different, a fox is quite musky, I cant really say that badgers have a particular smell thats very noticable. The fox wants everyone to know he's there, leaves his calling card on prominent places (up on fallen trees, anything 3ft-ish high), the badger changes his bedding very often, so you'll should find strewn bits of hay, ferns, foliage etc around the sett.

Obviously there are many exits/ entrances around, look for them, they may well tell you if the sett is actually active.

Several different animals might use the sett if the badgers have gone. Try to find prints, take photos and put them up here - love it :)

It could be that the hole there is inactive, i couldnt make out any clear tracks going in or out. There should be plenty of tell-tale signs about to indicate fox or badger. Look for feathers with blood on them etc for fox, discarded broken up foliage for badger.

Tracking is often called "the first science" which doesnt quite sit right with me (more likely behavioural studies!?) but its my favourite part of being out in the sticks, aside from actually seeing the animals.

even though it means a 10 mile round trip on foot everyday, i'm still lovin the snow!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE