Silver Steel Striker ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, I'm having a Friction Folder made out of Silver Steel,And I wanted to know if it's possible to use silver steel as a Striker for making sparks on Flint.
cheers

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've just found a online video of SilverFox using a Silver Steel Striker on Flint and it looks like it throws great sparks,if anyone else has any experience with Silver Steel strike a Lights please let me know how good they are.
cheers

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I made my strike-a-lite from Silver Steel and it sparks great. One thing to remember though is that you harden a strke-a-lite much hardern than you would a knife so you might find that the back of your blade have been tempered back to a level that the sparks are not as good.

I quenched my s-a-l in water and did not temper it at all. I don't have any RC testing files so don't know how hard it actually is but it very hard compared to my knife blades.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
is it a fictional metal from lord of the rings???
WikiQuote:
"Mithril is a fictional metal from J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth fantasy writings. Like the real metal titanium, it is silvery and stronger than steel but much lighter in weight. The malleability, lack of tarnishing and use of the metal in jewellery could also indicate a reference to platinum. The author first wrote of it in The Lord of the Rings, and it was retrospectively mentioned[1] in the third, revised edition of The Hobbit in 1966. In the first 1937 edition, the mail shirt given to Bilbo was described as being made of "silvered steel"."

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
on a more serious note, my old rusty carbon steel mora clipper gives off a hell of a lot of sparks with little effort, whereas it is very difficult to produce sparks with the striker attached to it

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
on a more serious note, my old rusty carbon steel mora clipper gives off a hell of a lot of sparks with little effort, whereas it is very difficult to produce sparks with the striker attached to it

Hi Scorpio,

We are talking about the traditional strike-a-light flint and steel, like this:

a_Flint___Steel_Strike_a_Light.jpg

(pinched I know)

and not a ferorod like this:

st_fireball.JPG

(pinched again)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE