Bear walker of the Northwood...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Time for a second TV - or second wife!
Great program - a must see:D

Only problem with a 2nd wife John is that you'll have to give them both a TV and neither will let you watch what you want....

So u end up financially worse off (Not just because of the TV!!!!) and with twice as much nagging!!

5.10leader

Can only agree with everyone, this was a really good programme and was really illuminating.

Unfortunately I missed the first ten minutes of so and the question may have been explained then. Why, in what appeared to be a reserve, was hunting allowed at all? Even though hunting is only permitted for 6 weeks of the year, it was enough to allow several bears to be shot and disrupt the research programme.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Only problem with a 2nd wife John is that you'll have to give them both a TV and neither will let you watch what you want....

So u end up financially worse off (Not just because of the TV!!!!) and with twice as much nagging!!

In series - not parallel.......:D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Now I am not a hunter but I have nothing against hunting. But I must say I was not impressed with the style of hunting these guys were indulging in. Not very sporty is it, to sit in these boxes on stilts and wait for the victim to turn up. More like snipers alley than hunting.

He certainly came across as a nice man, full of interest and compassion for the bears but not sentimentality.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
The best and most insightful nature documentary I've seen in a while, excellent stuff! I heard an interview with him on R4 and he was just the same, thoughtful, practical, but driven by a love of wildlife.

Totally aggree with Jojo about the hunting. I'm not anti-hunting (unless its trophy hunting) but piling the food right in front of the shooting seat is skill-less, cowardly and shameful.

This is the website, he called Prof. Lynn Rogers
http://www.bearstudy.org/website/

I was so impressed I think I'm going to donate something to his cause, he's got some research papers on there about black bears as well as several others, got to be worth a look.
He's a rare breed that chap - more power to him

cheers

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I just watched the show, I really liked it but, here in Alberta Canada, we have 1-3 fatal bear attacks a year. Grizzly mostly , but Blacks too.
DO not feed the bears!!!! They normally take off when they see you, which is good for you and better for them. In the parks, they don't even want you to pull over on the road to photograph them. Point is, fear of humans and respect for the bears is the only way to coexist.
Minnesota is different in that they have a lot more people and Bears are more likely to have seen people before.
The hunting didn't bother me per say ( I hunt deer, Elk, Moose, Grouse but I would never hunt a bear, tasted the meat once, bleeck, and I don't Trophy hunt. ) but I must say the Idiots who shot the collared bear need a smack upside the head. I also liked that the show didn't portray hunters as evil monsters like some nature shows.
Anyways, so If any of you Brits come over to visit the parks or Bush, follow the rules and no one get hurt! If your ever going to be near Edmonton, pm me and I'll take you fishing or out for a day hike anytime!

PS Those where the Woods that Nessmuk liked to play in.

Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
The Bearwalker is a name we use to signify something much more sinister than the study of black bears. It is a dark and danregous entity.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
The "Bearwalker" is a half-human, half-animal beast that appears in tales told by the Mohawk people. (amongst other aboriginal nations)
It is a mix of {(for reference only) of a shape shifter/werebeast} and supernatural entity that skulks and devours its victims.
It is very defficult to kill and the person killing it must ever be vigilant of himself becoming such a creature.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
The "Bearwalker" is a half-human, half-animal beast that appears in tales told by the Mohawk people. (amongst other aboriginal nations)
It is a mix of {(for reference only) of a shape shifter/werebeast} and supernatural entity that skulks and devours its victims.
It is very defficult to kill and the person killing it must ever be vigilant of himself becoming such a creature.

thanks - sounds interesting, I love folklore tales.
I'll look this one up,

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE