Heads Up: New RM "Bushcraft Knife" made by SWC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
this will be one to watch, i wonder if it will affect the prices of AW woodlores.

as for the knife, for now its a woodlore clone with RM lazer engraved on the side, only time will tell if this one will get the same renown as the AW woodlore.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
this will be one to watch, i wonder if it will affect the prices of AW woodlores.

as for the knife, for now its a woodlore clone with RM lazer engraved on the side, only time will tell if this one will get the same renown as the AW woodlore.

I dont think it is a Woodlore clone fella.. A more suitable description would be the SWC Woodlore, similar to the WS Woodlore..

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Has SWC got into bed completely with Mr Mears or will you still be able to get him to do his own version of the Woodlore, made up or as a kit?

It certainly puts him on the map as a maker of fine knives but I agree that the logos are far too dominant and "in yer face".

Does anyone know how long the wait is for an Alan Wood Woodlore knife?

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I've had a SWC knife that he made for me about a year or so ago, I hardly think it can be described as a woodlore clone!

Its a very very well made knife with a finish of the highest standard!

I love mine!

Drew

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
i got a SWC Knife about 18 months ago and knew that RM had asked him for a sample knife, his knives are cracking, really well made and even before RM, he had a usual 2/3 month waiting time. I know Willow Lohr one of his instructors got a beautiful one made with willow and mamoth bone, i take it he saw this and thought to himself this SWC chaps the one for me.

You should check his knives out on http://swc-handmade-knives.com/ he has a photo gallery and some of his blades are the bizz.

I would get in quick before the prices go up.....

Colin

kjbarrass

Mar 1, 2009
UK
I like the look of it but I would only pay this not jut for the name but for the thought that its pretty much the knife Ray Mears carries himself i.e. same maker/logo etc. If Ray dropped the Alan Wood and started to carry and use an SWC made one I think that would sway me to then want an SWC one. Not sure how others feel on this.
Kev

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That's going to have an effect on the Spyderco one for sure, especially if the Spyde one is the same money.

Hahahahahahahahaha, i expect it will, i dont know many who would buy a factory made over hyped rip off when there is a much better handmade alternative that will increase in value.

Well, the Spyderco is selling for $189 and this knife sells for £250 which according to xe.com today equals $407.

When people talk about "factory made," I often wonder if they have ever even been in a knife factory and seen how knives are made. In many, the process is not much different than a professional shop, i.e., they are often "handmade." Sebenzas, for instance, are factory made and their quality is next to none. And as for the individual "handmade knife" that varies from the garage hobbyist who does his heat treat with a blowtorch to someone like Ed Fowler who pounds his own steel and heat treats in an oven. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Given the current pricing, I could buy two spydies for the price of this one and still have money left over to buy some Ray Mears underwear. And no waiting. Now if all you want is a thick-bladed full tang scandi that will sit in your drawer in the hopes that the price will rise so you can make some money on the deal 5 years from now, good luck! Spydie knives hold their prices well too and I'm guessing this knife might also turn into a collector's piece. I have several Spydie folders that sell on ebay for twice what I paid for them so it's not like Spyderco makes junk. Far from it. Spycerco standards are some of the highest in the industry. And as for the Spydie bushcraft knife being a ripoff, I don't see it. Chris's design is far more original than most of the "handmade" clones I have seen over the years posted on this board which look like cookie cuts of the woodlore. At the very least, I applaud Spyderco for going with 1/8" stock.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
It certainly puts him on the map as a maker of fine knives but I agree that the logos are far too dominant and "in yer face".

Isn't the in-your-face connection, care of RM's name/logo, exactly what folks want and notwithstanding the design is equalled if not bettered by other makers??

That RM actually uses the AW Woodlore and this is the third branded offering will all play a part in future value but I can't see you loosing money.

How about a BCUK-lead group buy as bound to get a discount!!

Cheers

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
the point is Hoodoo, The woodlore is going to increase in value, its a more parctical design than the spyderco and its made by a well known british maker who i would rather send my money to than spyderco.

in my opinion the spyderco is just a pimped woodlore made to profit from the latest bushcraft craze, and i cant see the point in adding a "spyderhole" to a fixed blade, it just looks plain ugly.

Im not knocking its quality or function, i just dont like it and will not be getting one.

ATB
Josh

Well, the Spyderco is selling for $189 and this knife sells for £250 which according to xe.com today equals $407.

When people talk about "factory made," I often wonder if they have ever even been in a knife factory and seen how knives are made. In many, the process is not much different than a professional shop, i.e., they are often "handmade." Sebenzas, for instance, are factory made and their quality is next to none. And as for the individual "handmade knife" that varies from the garage hobbyist who does his heat treat with a blowtorch to someone like Ed Fowler who pounds his own steel and heat treats in an oven. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Given the current pricing, I could buy two spydies for the price of this one and still have money left over to buy some Ray Mears underwear. And no waiting. Now if all you want is a thick-bladed full tang scandi that will sit in your drawer in the hopes that the price will rise so you can make some money on the deal 5 years from now, good luck! Spydie knives hold their prices well too and I'm guessing this knife might also turn into a collector's piece. I have several Spydie folders that sell on ebay for twice what I paid for them so it's not like Spyderco makes junk. Far from it. Spycerco standards are some of the highest in the industry. And as for the Spydie bushcraft knife being a ripoff, I don't see it. Chris's design is far more original than most of the "handmade" clones I have seen over the years posted on this board which look like cookie cuts of the woodlore. At the very least, I applaud Spyderco for going with 1/8" stock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE