Which camp cot/bed for car camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm looking for a cot of the army type and thought I would get your opinions. I'm not concerned about weight too much as it'll be going in the back of the landy and only humped a few hundred yards at most. I was thinking of the British army type with steel sprung legs, but also see the US surplus ones are different - higher, made of aluminium and have the ability to attach a mozzi net which could be useful. What are your thoughts on these? It needs tyo be robust and serve double duty as a seat, so nothing too "tippy".

This type?

surplus-camp-bed.jpg

Or this type?

1001.jpg

Opinions? What about width, length, stability, comfort etc?

tia. :)

P.S. What are the flaps for on the ends of the British cot?

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
The flaps are to to stop Haggis trying to nest under the cot if you camp in the Highlands of Scotland. 48 people died last year as a result of not taking that simple precaution.

As an alternative to a cot have you considered air beds. They are pretty cheap and very comfortable. If you've got your car, it's easy to inflate without having to use a manual pump.

I could never get used to cots.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you have the landrover and aren't bothered about bulk or weight, definitely the second one. The first one is miserable to try to sit on, it coups all the time. The second one is a bit higher, has a firmer edge and the legs give a stability for (still with a big of an ease down) seating. I'm told that the hammock midgie nets....if you acquire the right one, fit over them to give peace in the evening from the biting hordes.
There's an older British type, very like the aluminium framed one, but it has fit in wooden legs. Folks who have those swear that they are the most comfortable nights sleep ever. They pay to get them recovered rather than dump them when they age done. Mostly found among the re-enactor's though.

cheers,
M

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The flaps are to to stop Haggis trying to nest under the cot if you camp in the Highlands of Scotland. 48 people died last year as a result of not taking that simple precaution.

As an alternative to a cot have you considered air beds. They are pretty cheap and very comfortable. If you've got your car, it's easy to inflate without having to use a manual pump.

I could never get used to cots.

Just tried an airbed recently and it wasn't much better than one of the old style lilo's - it was a cheapy Coleman though. I wasn't keen non it tbh. Maybe the more expensive ones are better, but I thought I'd like to give a cot a go.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
If you have the landrover and aren't bothered about bulk or weight, definitely the second on. The fitst one is miserable to try to sit on, it coups all the time. The second one is a bit higher, has a firmer edge and the legs give a stability for (still with a big of an ease down) seating. I'm told that the hammock midgie nets....if you acquire the right one, fit over them to give peace in the evening from the biting hordes.
There's an older British type, very like the aluminium framed one, but it has fit in wooden legs. Folks who have those swear that they are the most comfortable nights sleep ever. They pay to get them recovered rather than dump them when they age done. Mostly found among the re-enactor's though.

cheers,
M

Thanks Toddy, that's helpful. I've noticed there are a lot of the square frame type, aside from the old type you mentiuon, I donbt suppose you know if a model that is superior to the others? The genuine US ones seem to be a little larger, but are a bit more expensive too (on ebay anyway).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just been on ebay having a looksee. Ye gods there's dozens of types :rolleyes:

Sorry Martyn, not much help from me :eek:
The last ones I saw that were 'right' had come from the Wilderness Gathering and cost about £25 I think.

Maybe someone who was there might recall the seller ? or maker ?

If you decide on an airbed instead I can happily recommend the Exped Down mat.......absolutely brilliant :D and it's warm underneath me when I'm sleeping :D

cheers,
M

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yeah, the plethora of types on ebay is what triggered me thread. Me plan was a nice stable cot, topped with a 1" thick slab of memory foam, with a couple of sheep skins on that. Sounds comfy/warm as hell with none of that awful airbed "bounce", but it all depends on how good the cots are. :)

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i had the oppotunity to try out a genuine american cot bed once and i found it to be very comfy.
a mate of mine was saying when he was on tour in iraq that the poncho liners and cot beds were the most sought after pieces kit to trade stuff with the yanks for.
this is probably why the prices on ebay for genuine ones seem to be quite high.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Martyn,

I've used both types in your photos over the years and I've settled on the second one for the reasons already mentioned. Also the steel one is less bulky but about the same weight as the aluminium one. The aluminium one is easier to assemble and having the extra height is welcome.

Just a word of warning.
Me plan was a nice stable cot, topped with a 1" thick slab of memory foam,
Memory foam is great as long as it is dry. As soon as it gets wet it no longer works as it should, it's not closed cell.

It may not be relevant but I find that only the lower style of campbed fits in smaller tipis/lavvus with their sloping walls (which is a pity)
True unless you make the footprint of your tipi eliptical rather than round. I do this with my Hex 3 and although the ends are close to the walls I don't find it a problem. Most of the time though I stick to a tarp.:)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm planning on getting a couple of the Ultralite cots from Rob at Wilderness 1-2-1, if you like you can borrow one for a trial Martyn?

That's super generous of you Lurch, many thanks, but it's a bit lightweight for what I'm after. It looks just the ticket for backpacking, but I'm strictly a car camper these days and easy/robust comfort is where pretty much all my gear choices are going.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks for the info guys, that is pretty much exactly what I'm after. :)

Looks like a genuine US cot is the way to go.

Memory foam is great as long as it is dry. As soon as it gets wet it no longer works as it should, it's not closed cell.
Thanks for that, I had no idea. I pretty much assumed it was closed cell. You can get a 1" memory foam single matress off ebay for just over a tenner. I figured this would cut down to make a super-comfy cot-topper, but if it's not closed cell it is out. Prolly better off with one of the thicker thermarests, but a bit more of a price hit.

I had planned to use the cot either under a bivvy, or inside a fairly large tipi, so the height of the US cot is not a hinderance. Now all I need to do is find (a genuine) one at a decent price.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Another vote for the American one from me!
I've never used the Bitish ones, so don't know what they're like - could be the most amazing thing out there as far as I know.
But I HAVE used one of the American ones. I don't own one, but I did get to spend a night on a friends.
I found it to be very comfy and, most importantly, a good size. I had a good night's sleep in it without any discomfort or issues. They may be a bit more expensive, but if I was looking to get such a thing I would definitely go for the US one.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
The american one in your post are the dogs....the British army type are the old type the latest Brit type are the same as the American apart from a slightly different material.

Shame you do not live closer to me or you could have borrowed one of mine to try it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE