Peacock Hand warmers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi

I am sure I have seen references to Peacock handwarmers on the site but a search found nothing.

Has anybody done/seen a review of them?

Are they any good? Especially at night in a hammock.

As the weather is generally getting colder I was wondering if it would be worthwhile getting one.
And if so what size.

any views?

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
I won one years back in a Shooting Times weekly comp. Keeps the heat for hours, never filled it to it's capacity but has lasted a day in a hide pigeon shooting in February.
Mines a medium.
Hope that helps, Harry.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
had one for years runs fine on panel wipe and still on original catylist wick you hold a match/lighter to this for 10 second then put the top on and it's toasty warm for the next 7 or 8 hours,when it's lit you can't see it burning it's some reaction with the platinum coated fiberglass I think there great but just my opinion
cheers Danny

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I can also highly recommend these handwarmers :)

I have two of different sizes and they get used alot particulary for camping/walking. Since I got mine several friends and workmates have also bought some, a mate who works on a farm often carries one inside his jacket in winter, both my parents use them when out and about and several members of my archery club have aquired them.

The advantages of this sytem is they give a good heat over a long period of time, they are safe to use as there is no flame, they are re-usable and relatively cheap to refill and are fairly slimline so easy to carry in a pocket.

For camping I would recommend a standard size to give you all night heat, the larger one may be abit bulky and the smaller doesnt work for as long.

Full details are here:

http://www.peacockhandwarmers.co.uk/

Hope that helps :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for all the comments - looks like a suitable cse for a group buy - anybopdy want to take it on - I will copy this to 'group buys'

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
I've tried different handwarmers when fishing, the zippo-like types and the ones that burn on a stick of charcoal. They always went out, maybe because I had them in my back pockets. Wear /use it in such a way that air can get to it!

C

czbohunk

This is what I use www.heatmax.com do they have them in the UK ?
You just open and shake them they stay warm for 10 hours.
They have them for both feet, hands and now they have larger ones for your body.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
A couple of years ago I opted for a S-Boston handwarmer
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/S-Boston-Pocket-Handwarmer.html
after reading about how the carbon in match flames gradually cloggs up the catalyst in these.

For my own piece of mind I remove the batteries once alight.
The feature I do like, about this type is, the cataylst is offset from the center, to put out you just take the top off, flip through 180 degrees and place back on, which seals the fuel off, neat`and simple idea.

Green Arrow

Nov 5, 2006
Hampshire UK
I have got the Giant Peacock one , it is brilliant if you fill it right up it keeps warm for about 30 hours, used it for the last 2 years when out beating. Highly recommend them

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I have 3 old ones very similar to these and their great used to use them for fishing(one down each wader and one my shirt pocket).

As for smell I run mine on Lighter fluid and yes mine do smell:eek:

Just read their site and to quote them......

"The Peacock hand warmer works only by platinum catalysis, which causes
neither air pollution nor occurrence of waste and contributes to environmental protection"

Might be worth dropping them an email and asking?

Richard

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
What train station's do u go to , I'v never seen them before ..... cool station's.....

Every so often at Manchester or some of the larger stations you get companies setting up stalls in the winter and handing them out as a form of advertising. I haven't been to a large train station for a long time so I don't know whether they are still doing it but it's worth looking out for if you travel a lot :D

Asa.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've recently got a Zippo one and have been very impressed. It's replaced a charcoal one which I found pretty hopeless as the sticks only last a few hours and then all the ash blows out when you have to replace it, then you need to blow on the new stick to get it burning properly. It's all too much of a pain.

The Zippo is made in the same factory as the Peacock ones and is almost identical, but is a little cheaper. It comes with a small measuring jug for a half or full burn. Approximately 2 tbs of fuel gives a 20+ hour burn-time.

Although we haven't got into proper winter yet it's been lovely to have in my pocket so far. I'd thoroughly recommend them over charcoal versions, and if you use Zippo fuel there is very little odour, I never smell it. I tried Swan and Ronson and they both smell like cat's p*** in your pocket and take ages to wash through with the Zippo stuff, so best not to use the others.

BB member Lurch has just said that he cannot get any more from his supplier for quite a while, so grab 'em while you can. I think they're £20 at Heinnies, but a google should reveal them. If you get cold hands, or want to chuck it in a sleeping bag then they are invaluable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE