A beret as headgear in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I recently discovered the beret as a hat for the woods.
Its advantages:
cheap
packable
versatile.
The one shown is made in spain by http://www.boinaselosegui.com/
and unfortunately nearly unavailable here. But these are sources to get them:
http://home.avvanta.com/~rgphoto/2004/basqueberet.htm
http://www.southpacificberets.com/
Mine is rather large and has a diameter of 31cm (13.5" ). Wouldnt get a smaller one but have already ordered a much larger 15" one. The type shown has no sweatband. Instead one stretches the wool to fit over the own head comfortably.
291009001_cr_ji.jpg

260909010_ji.jpg

Such berets are IMHO extremly comfortable to wear and on my last two-day hike I carried it along with my Tilley hat, to wear when the weather turned worse or I simply needed a bit more warmth:
03102009-1424-P1000428_cr.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great idea.

Me, I'm a wearer of the tweed "flat cap", but its always a pleasure to see people in traditional head gear - from a trilby to a tam' its great to see people wearing the traditional stuff - I often think its probably better adapted to the local climate. A flat cap stuffs in your pocket, keeps your head both warm and dry and keeps the rain off your face. Great bit of kit (and reminds me of me Grandad too :))

Red

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
After wearing one (in a professional capacity) fro 15 years, I reckon they're the worst designed piece of headgear in existence.
Don't like them at all.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I disagree with Graham, I liked mine. Saying that, in the Army w tend to shape ours instead of sticking it straight on our head after being issued it at stores! :p

I remember donning mine on a tab back from Darwin to MPA in the Falkland Islands when the snow started coming down, and it came down hard with a wind that can only be believed in the South Atlantic. The cold went straight through your skull to the brain, and it was like having the most severe headache ever after just a few seconds of the wind and snow coming down. Beret went straight on and everything was good again! I wouldn't wear one now I don't think, but then I have found a good outlet of the original old school headover and wear a cap comforter now when it is getting a bit perky. It keeps my hair out of my face too!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
The modern army beret is alot smaller than it used to be,so i guess offers alot less in terms of warmth and cover, when i used to do WW2 reenactment i used to wear the type used then, which i would say was of a similar size to the one your wearing Oetzi, i found it comfortable and warm even in the rain, i think the Brit military originally copied it from the French mountain troop of the 30's, but wore it in a differant style.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
aye, didn't it start with the tankers wearing the black one? then everyone wanted em as i recall heh.

they are good bits of kit and lets be fair its a woolen garment so its going to give decen't warmth and protection and you can even feign looking stylish or in the case of those larger floppy types perhaps even break into a mime routine to entertain and delight your friends.
perhaps a mime version of a ray mears technique?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love a good beret - I was known for wearing one for years....I now favour my Blanket Beret or Larping Tam - see my avatar over felted models, although my blanket material almost counts as felt as it iswell felted down!

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
In the Mountains we used to move the beret around so the cap badge was over our ears, so you got a good flatcap with a sunvisor too. Warm compfy bulletproof and only worn in green. :D

Jay

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I got hold of a Chasseur Alpin beret (like Oetzi's - about the size of a large dinner plate...)in Chamonix a few years ago and wore it while skiing the Haute Route. It was brilliant - it kept the sun out of your eyes, kept your head warm and, with some inventive pulling of the edge, could be used to shelter any exposed bit of your head/neck - you don't have to wear it just 'au facon militaire' or 'comme un bec de canard'. When it gets a bit colder, I think I'll take mine for a walk in the woods. Thanks for reminding me!

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Berets have never really been my thing, I end up looking like a deformed wingnut. Was burdened with inspirationally original nickname of 'radar' when I had to wear one for a living. :(

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Loved mine and frequently got told off by CO's for wearing it instead of helmet and later Kevlar! Very comfy and if you have even slightly greasy hair they become quite water resistant! Wore in rifle green and dark navy but definitely preferred the green (espec. when walking around Fort Bragg in US, they didn't have a clue who I was!). Always shrunk mine as much as leather band would allow!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE