An elegant design...for a mystery purpose!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BB came across these the other day and we bought some. What a superb piece of engineering - don't you think?

Its a piece of genius. The simple ideas are the best.....but what is it?

4050513809_564fedfcb1_o.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To be fair no, its not "bushcrafty".....

It is very useful to farmers and other landowners though

Without a doubt....outdoorsy :)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I think it looks like a lockable handle. Can't really describe it but I think I've seen these before.

Be interesting if I am totally off. :D

Mike

bivibabe

May 5, 2009
loch eck argyll
Hmm. Couple of ideas. A kind of hinge maybe. Or if it's a lock, I'm guessing it simply slides over a nail or something and the two bars slide over the gate and can be secured.Butttt probably not.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
hmmmmm

not quite there yet....its one of those ............

"oh....clever" things....neat and perfect

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I'm not quite sure how to describe this -- gesturing is so hard with a keyboard...

I believe it's a fixture that is attached to a door or gate (typically one at the top and bottom on the edge that swings open) that allows a vertical rod to be slid through.

The vertical rod then enters a hole in the bottom frame (or, rarely, the top frame if the rod is hinged with a twist handle) and thus secures the door/gate. To open the gate, you simply raise the rod by its handle and push or pull the door/gate open.

In the fully open position, people sometimes add receiving holes for the vertical rod that allows the gate/door to be held open. I've seen these on some barn doors too.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a very clever idea from dogwood...not the intended purpose of this particular thing though..

Wildebeast- its for chuffing huge five bar gates :).

I'll give it a day or two for others to do head scratching and then put up a picc of it in use :)

pwb

We do a fair bit of fencing on the estate and ,although we don't use them, I know exactly what it is :p, but I'll not spoil the suspense :D .

All I'll say is that Bivi Babe is sooo close :) .

It is such beautiful simple design though.

Pete.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Not seen one before but here is my guess. I reckon the one hole slips over the sticky out bit of a standard latch on a five bar gate, the two holey bit goes through the latch bit on the post and you pop a padlock through the two holes.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oooh now what we need is a hybrid of Robins and Bivi Babes answer :D

A padlock does indeed go through the holes....but it doesn't go over the latch :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm thinking the double loop is the pivot, it fixes to the gate and when thrown over it lines up with a bolt that goes through the single eye. This allows the gate to be locked.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Slide it up the back of the latch (the bit with the 90 degree bend) so that it holds the spring forward when padlocked/pinned?

(Edit: When on the gate the two 'arms' protrude from the side of the gate and are underneath the bolt.)

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I'm not very up on the terminology, but does the 'ground pin' from a set of double gates go through the single hole, the whole widget brought up to the top and padlocked so the top of the 'ground pin' is held down against the 'keeper' (the part in which it slides, attached to the gate?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE