Mike Ameling dies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm really sorry to hear this news. I like many others really valued Mikes contributions and thoughts which he posted on here. I found his contributions to be refreshingly bold and based on his experiences of life. There was nothing fluffy or pretentious there, just the honest truth of a man with a lot to give and living a life his way on his terms. I will miss those a lot.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I thought there must have been some mistake when I saw this thread yesterday.

I have certainly benifited from Mike's advice in the past and he was a voice you could respect.

I guess all any of us can hope for is to leave some knowledge of ourselves behind, and I think Mike certainly achived that in a very positive way.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
That's very sad news indeed.

I only knew Mike from this forum and some PM's but I will miss his input, in some people grumpiness is a virtue :)
I'm glad there's a legacy of his posts on different subjects still to find here

Mike, I hope your enjoying a drink with Hephaistos and the like up there

Cheers,

Tom

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I get the feeling that Mikey lived a varied life and lived it well. I'm sad that he has gone, but happy that he lived his life to the full. I must confess it has come as quite a shock, he will be sorely missed by all of his friends, both on the internet and in real life and I think that speaks volumes of he type of man he was.

So long Mikey, it really was a pleasure to know you, even if only through the internet. :(

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Although mike is gone, his memory will live on in all the superb and wonderful pieces he made, rest in peace mike, we're thinking of you.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Mike was certainly a 'brother of the trail' and I shall miss his contributions. But I will remember him every time I use the firesteel that he crafted.

A fine blacksmith, and a fine man.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just seen this, very very sad.

Mike was one of the good guys and his travel posts were always some of the most inspiring.

He'll be sorely missed by many.

R.I.P Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE