Hmm... unbreakable pint glass?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
Well, I'm down to my last pint glass and I need an alternative! They always go in stupid ways, this last one was knocked over as I turned around in my chair - consequentially, upon jumping up to get a plastic bag and a towel, I tripped over a set of weights and knocked over a pot plant :eek:

I hate plastic cups, but am open to non-glass alternatives, they just have to be tough! Any suggestions?

Pete

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have tankards in pewter, heavy glass, leather, horn, fired clay.

Lexan is basically plastic, but I suspect pewter may be the way to go for you.

Heavy ceramic works well to and is easy to keep clean - just like a big coffee mug - good for mulled ale though.

Red

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It's got to be a pewter tankard!
You can pick them up in charity shops and boot fairs for just pence.
Mind you, those (metal) crusader-type camping mugs hold just shy of a pint - you can use it for both your beer and tea!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Big Kuksa?

Just remembered Jon's tankard :D

DSC04016Small.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24488

Red

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
A tankard would be nice, but I had a pewter tankard before and drinks seemed to eat at the inside which made me a bit uncomfortable :confused: I wasn't entirely confident it was for actual use so I didn't know if it was lead-free pewter either.

I like the idea of ceramic, but maybe the IV is the way to go :cool:

Can you imagine though, considering how much havoc I can wreak with a pint glass, how it would be if I was taking a drip everywhere? :p

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
A tankard would be nice, but I had a pewter tankard before and drinks seemed to eat at the inside which made me a bit uncomfortable :confused: I wasn't entirely confident it was for actual use so I didn't know if it was lead-free pewter either.

Avoid cider in the older lead based pewters. It does eat into it.

Most of the shiny looking newer tankards are lead free, though beer tastes better with the added lead I reckon!

My favourite tankard from my collection is a Liberty Tudric tankard from the original RMS Queen Elizabeth. I should add that, as I play squeezebox for a morris side, a pewter tankard is compulsory kit, though one of my side does have a chromed pottery Darth Vader mug! Actually shaped like the helmet.

Gareth

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Avoid cider in the older lead based pewters. It does eat into it.

Most of the shiny looking newer tankards are lead free, though beer tastes better with the added lead I reckon!

My favourite tankard from my collection is a Liberty Tudric tankard from the original RMS Queen Elizabeth. I should add that, as I play squeezebox for a morris side, a pewter tankard is compulsory kit, though one of my side does have a chromed pottery Darth Vader mug! Actually shaped like the helmet.

Gareth

Maybe I should go for a tankard then - I did like the last one I had until I sat on it :rolleyes:

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Leather would be nice, but my complaint with plastic is that it doesn't feel cold and I imagine it's the same with leather; Even though I've not noticed plastic stopping you getting a cold drink, I like the glass/tankard to be cold as well :p

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
You gotta love pewter tankards! Beer always tastes better out of a tankard. Just be careful of charity-shop-bought tankards, they often get used as pencil holders!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE