Rabbits!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushmeister

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Leicestershire
OK got a freezer full of rabbit I have shot and need some ideas. Tried bunny burgers. Which are pretty tasty - pork mince, bunny mince, herbs, seasoning, try not to burn too much over BBQ - done!

What are your favorite bunny recipes?

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i've only ever eaten them bbq'd or in a stew.
i wonder if you could skin a rabbit and stuff it with sage n onion and roast it in the oven just like you would with a chicken.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
i've only ever eaten them bbq'd or in a stew.
i wonder if you could skin a rabbit and stuff it with sage n onion and roast it in the oven just like you would with a chicken.

Unlike a chicken there isn't really anything on a rabbit that you could stuff, however if you have both a rabbit and a chicken then you could stuff the chicken with some rabbit. :)

I have an old recipe which describes the stuffing of a goose with rabbit legs and sage and onion stuffing, this makes for a tastier bit of rabbit as the somewhat 'dry' meat will absorb some of the fat and flavor of the goose. Another suggestion is to roast the rabbit underneath the goose until its half done and then place it in the bird for the remaining cooking time. :)

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Ohh, got me hungry now!

I like nice fresh rabbit, fried with onions, mushrooms and bacon, in a splash of red wine!

Lovely!

Drew

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Funnily7 enough, rabbit stew is on our menu tonight! How I do it is to boil then simmer the pre fried rabbit chunks in a stock for two hours as the meat is then soft and drops from the bone. Anything less than two hours overall cooking and rabbit tends to be a bit rubbery! In a large pan, fry off some chopped onion, celery and carrots, add the rabbit and stock and then bung in what you want. I added a clove of garlic, some bay leaves, salt and pepper and chopped parsley. I also chopped some potatoes up to thicken it up a bit and will probably thicken it more with some corn flour and water. Dumplings will be done in the oven then added at the end with some crusty warm breaded heavily buttered!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK

Unlike a chicken there isn't really anything on a rabbit that you could stuff,

if left whole maybe you could stuff belly cavity and sew it up and roast.

My personal favourite is to get a young three quarter size rabbit, joint it, coat in seasoned flour and fry with wild mushrooms, must be a young tender rabbit though, also joint rabbit coat in breadcrumbs and deep fry in chip fryer, or as alternative to roasting a casserole.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I take the strips off the saddle, dice them and make a batter add a dash of Tobasco to it for flavour, dip the diced meat in it and deep fry them in a pot of oil. When they float to the top they're cooked. Rabbit Nuggets better than the Colonel's !!! :)

huntsmanbob

Jul 9, 2009
norwich
I always soak the rabbit in salt water for a few hours when at home before cooking & dont forget to remove the scent glands , i love to make curry and if you are a curry head like me you will love this site loads of genuine British Indian Restaurant recipes from real restaurants and chefs.

http://www.cr0.co.uk/curry

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
1 rabbit, jointed
1 lemon
4 onions
4 cloves garlic
50g butter
Salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon powdered cumin
1 stick cinnamon
2g saffron (in stamens, not powdered)
1 bunch parsley
1 bunch coriander
Chicken stock

Recipe :
Peel and chop onions, crush garlic and chop herbs.
Melt butter in a large pan, brown meat.
Add onions once rabbit is golden.
Cook for a few more minutes, then remove liver from heat.
Add ginger, cumin, cinnamon, saffron and crushed garlic, then stir in 300ml stock.
Season.
Mix ingredients well, then leave to cook for 30 minutes.
Add up to 200ml more stock if necessary during cooking, to keep meat moist.
Add juice of half a lemon, parsley and coriander.
Chop and add liver, leave to cook for a further 10 minutes.

Make couscous:
Weigh out, then cover with boiling water. Cover bowl and leave couscous to absorb water, until light and fluffy. Melt in a knob of butter to taste.

Serve couscous and meat together.

Advice :
This is a tasty dish, full of nutrients:
Rich in iron and potassium, rabbit meat also contains trace elements and minerals, essential for a healthy, balanced diet.
With more proteins than most meats, rabbit is especially good for children and teenagers.
Rabbit meat is also rich in vitamines B, PP, and E, which makes it great for anyone who does a lot of sport, or who wants to build muscle. Protein is also good for the nervous system and protects cells from ageing.
Lean and tender, rabbit meat is very easily digested.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
If you've got any young , half grown rabbits, joint the leg sections, leave them on the bone,
dip in a whisked egg then bread crumbs and gently fry in a frying pan, or pop on the BBQ,
Only nice with young ones because as has been said before adult rabbits legs need a long slow cook else they are too chewy.
Simple but tasty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE