Lightweight water carrying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Hi all,

For a while now I have been grappling with the problem of how to carry water on short bimbles. For some reason I am a particularly thirsty person so I like to have a water bottle even on fairly short walks. Everything else I need for a few hours in the woods can easily go on my belt or in my pockets but the water bottle is a problem.

I have tried just carrying a bottle (irritating), army style bottle pouches on a belt (lots of space but pulled my trousers down!), a shoulder bag (dug into my neck) and now i have ended up with a small rucksack which is ok but not exactly ideal.

What other solutions can anyone think of or does anyone use?

Thanks

Harmonica

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Why not try using a camelback?

They're smaller than than most rucksacks used for bimbles and if you get the wide mouth variety you can put ice cubes in it and you'll have a cool refreshing drink :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
A Camelback (waterbag rucksack type - some types have room for extra kit; or Karrimor Sabre 35 Hydro)

Platypus waterbottle (bag), some have a lanyard to hang it around you neck.

Did you tried carrying stuff in baldric style (diagonal carry)?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I have tried just carrying a bottle (irritating), army style bottle pouches on a belt (lots of space but pulled my trousers down!), a shoulder bag (dug into my neck) and now i have ended up with a small rucksack which is ok but not exactly ideal.

That's exactly how I ended up using PLCE webbing... ;)

leon-1

Hi all,

For a while now I have been grappling with the problem of how to carry water on short bimbles. For some reason I am a particularly thirsty person so I like to have a water bottle even on fairly short walks. Everything else I need for a few hours in the woods can easily go on my belt or in my pockets but the water bottle is a problem.

I have tried just carrying a bottle (irritating), army style bottle pouches on a belt (lots of space but pulled my trousers down!),

Harmonica

If you are just going to use a belt you need a seperate belt that has good depth (effectively a 58 pattern or plce belt). If you go 58 pattern then get one that has been modded to be a rollpin belt.

That's exactly how I ended up using PLCE webbing... ;)

As the man says this is the other option within the belt and water bottle system and that's to use a yoke with it and with todays stuff you can always add PLCE side pouches with some minor modifications as a small pack. Use of the yoke will also stabilise the web belt a lot more and make it more comfortable.

If you can get one or make one a hippo pad is also a good idea if using the military style systems.

Beyond that as the guys say get a either a small pack with a hydration system built into it or one that has the capability to add a hydration system to it.

Camelbak and Platypus make systems that can be used amongst others, but they are established names and could be expensive. There is also stormshield who will be cheaper but nowadays the difference in quality will be minimal.

Many years ago you used to be able to get hold of systems made by a company called Liquipak (I think they were isreali based) if they are still about they would probably be worth looking at.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I have pondered this idea many times, for I find carrying water a P.I.T.A, but now have a solution of sorts depending on my bimble. If for a short trip, just out locally, I use a hip flask filled with water, and shove it in my pocket. If out with my camera, my carrying system is the LowePro waist belt and chest harness system, the PLCE idea, the cheap US Military style water bottle and holder fits on perfectly at the rear, and is unnoticed in weight, and out of the way. For longer trips, I take my MSR miniworks or Premac trekker water filter and draw my water from where I find it, and think it is safe to draw from.

Really, there is no light weight way of carrying water, a body necessity, each litre carried is at least a kilo in weight and that without the carrier. Everyone is different, their needs are different, and it is just a case of finding something that works for you, and whatever it is, it will likely be a compromise.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
If I am going out for upto 2-3 hours then I usually take just the 1tr hip flask with insulated pouch.

If I am out for longer say a couple of days then I use a 1ltr Ali type water bottle for collecting and sterilizing the water in(using tabs) and then transfer it to the hip flask for easy access whilst on the move. I always try to have at least two ltr on me 1 ready and 1 getting ready.

In a camp set up I have a 10ltr Dromedary which came recommended from a few folk on here when I asked the question about water carriers a few months ago and that has not let me down there either.

When mountain biking or cycling I use Camelbaks, Which I have used for a number of years. The disadvantage, I find, is that very quickly they get warmed up due to the heat from the body, and a warm drink of water is sometimes worse than no drink.

If a camelbak type system is your preferred option then I would recommend that a bladder with a silver nitrite coating is used as this really does save a lot of cleaning up and bleaching.

Or, which is what I do, roll up and then bung the bladder into the freezer until next time you want to use it.:)

H

He' s left the building

Pre-drink a litre of water just before you leave your home, that way you need only take a small volume of water with you.

A one or two-litre Source/Platypus type flexible polythene bottle containing 500ml of water can easily fit into a flat pocket with minimal bulk/weight.

Jul 24, 2009
Spital, Wirral
LOL at robert rogers.
ALL above ideas sound good...the camelpack and even boop's; hydrate before you go. I would go down the webbing route also. It might be worth trying a lightweight system like the ALICE which is fairly non-invasive but use small sports drink bottles like the lifeventure bottles/holsters, these are probably all you'd need for one of your bimbles. You may be able to carry two (one on each side) without the yoke but with the yoke you would have the support and the added bonus of adding to the belt for larger bottles or extra gear. Any webbing system would be ideal though. Try some different gear and see what suits you.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pre-drink a litre of water just before you leave your home, that way you need only take a small volume of water with you.

A one or two-litre Source/Platypus type flexible polythene bottle containing 500ml of water can easily fit into a flat pocket with minimal bulk/weight.

Your body will only absorb what it can, it won't store 'extra' so drinking before a trip is OK to help general hydration but won't really give you a backup of water in your body.

H

He' s left the building

Yeah, true! But a lot of people are already slightly dehydrated when they set out, pre-drinking is one way of making sure that you are well hydrated before you go.

One litre is about as much as most people can manage to drink at one go, any more than that and you risk harming yourself by water intoxication. I have happily worked hard in tropical heat for 2-3 hours without water, I just ensured I was well watered before and afterwards.

Multi-pitch and high altitude climbers don't carry much water (to save weight) and climb in a state of semi-dehydration, which is why many of them suffer kidney stones. So it may not be medically approved, but for short jaunts in the UK countryside most folk would be just fine.

H

He' s left the building

For some reason I am a particularly thirsty person so I like to have a water bottle even on fairly short walks.

Bearing in mind I am recommending that you don't need to carry water, it *might* be worth you speaking to your GP just to make sure you have no underlying health issues that are causing thirst, I think diabetes can cause thirst (?)

(disclaimer: anything I have written should not be taken as definitive medical advice, I'm not even remotely qualified! :) )

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
If it's only for short bimbles of a few hours duration, have a look in the camping/hiking stores. I have what amounts to a bum bag with a bottle carrier complete with Sigg style alu water bottle, the part where the bottle fits is padded and if you wet it on a warm day the act of evaporation keeps the water in the bottle cool, IIRC it only cost about £6 or so, very handy although I never use it now as I prefer a larger quantity as I prefer a hot drink to water.

Jul 24, 2009
Spital, Wirral
Again, boops makes sense. Most people don't hydrate properly. If you ensure a decent water intake BEFORE a walk, short or not, you will decrease your thirst during your walk. AGAIN boops has a point, if you find you are contantly thirsty you are either under-hydrated or have an underlying medical condition which causes this as a symptom. IF you DON'T have a medical problem then you are just made to sweat profusely and possibly have a rather vigorous renal clearance and/or fast metabolism (mybe not as fit as you could be!!?? i know i'm not!!) either which you should always carry a slight excess to what you expect to need for the day/excursion. And while your at it you might as well make sure that your containers are easily refillable from a moutain stream/waterfall/pond and stick a chlorine tablet inside you're pouch whilst your at it. You constantly hear of air ambulances picking up casualties off mountainsides in a worse state of repair for no other reason that they are bloody minded idiots who think 'it'll never happen them' and 'don't worry ..there'll be plenty of people up there to help me if....'
DON'T BE A STATISTIC...look after yourself....

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
I'm quite a thirsty person too, i find i drink ALOT more than the "avaerage" person. For me i drink around 1 litre/1.5litre before i go then have a camel back with me along with an empty drinking bottle. For a short bimble (couple of hours, around 5 or so?) the camel is fine as you have to think about what the body needs and what you want, generally what you want over powers what you need. In the UK you will be fine as it rains so much you have no end of water! If its a heat wave at least you've got the camel back and you can decide to turn back when you get to half.

I havnt run into a problem yet though

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
in reply to the post above mine, i have a silly fast metabolism. (Have done since i was young) But also push myself pretty hard so end up walking at a pretty fast speed so will end up sweating alot, im guessing thats the reason for drinking alot? (generally if my legs aint hurting - im not walking fast enough!!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE