Raised Beds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Hi There,

I'm gonna put in some raised beds in the garden, i have new sleepers ready for the purpose.

Just a quicky, but whats best to fill them with, should i use just soil from the garden or get manure and compost??

Just gonna grow some vegies, toms, alliums etc

Is there any need for me to be ph testing my soil

(sorry total newbie question)

Thanks again

John

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
I'd mix manure and/or compost with garden soil. The soil will help to further break down the manure and compost.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
As RR said, mix the manure in with the garden soil but I'd include some sharp sand to assist in the drainage.

Also make sure you dig over the soil that will be at the bottom of the beds to break it up and assist drainage

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

Not much in the way of before pictures, here is the sleepers i bought, and the space where it is going, its partly a a way of saving money on how much stones i need, i plan to put the raised bed right on top of the lanscape fabric.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I presume the landscape fabric is to stop weeds coming through?

The problem with that is you lose almost all the advantage of having a raised bed (ie deeper soil and free draining.

I'd lose the fabric along the base. dig it down the sides to prevent weeds and dig over the ground underneath before you put in soil/compost and manure.

Good Luck

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
I was orginally gonna stone the full thing with no raised bed, the fabric is just there from that idea, the garden seems to be kinda developing as i go along rather than being from a plan.

Good point silver girl, stanley knife to the ready

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
you will find the soil, manure and compost all laden with weed seeds anyway so don't think you are going to avoid weeding, hee hee besides do things actually grow in the frozen north I really would not expect tomatos to ripen outdoors?????

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
I have no idea, since i cant afford a greenhouse i was thinking of rigging it up into a mini poly tunnel type lean to constructions with clear polyethene and canes, or something similar!!!! It might help

Used to go down to ilfracombe on my holidays every year in the caravan when i was a kid, used to love it down there.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Any cover will help (so long as it doesn't get damp) I have had good crops of tomatoes up against a south facing wall but you do have to choose your varieties more carefull the further in to the frozen wastes :rolleyes: you are.

peatbog

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2008
paisley, Scotland
Try and position the beds to run north to south, that way the sun should go from right to left and cover the whole bed.
Feed the soil, and the soil feeds the plants.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Bush toms will ripen outside, they do well here in the north east but over the border they may need a south facing wall for best results........and temp poly tunnel will certainly help things along as well as extend the season....

Definately add well rotted manure to the soil for the bed as the likely hood is you're going to grow intensively and the more fertile material in from the start the better.......

Smoggy.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
do things actually grow in the frozen north I really would not expect tomatos to ripen outdoors?????

Well, there's plenty of people growing outdoor tomatoes at the allotment site where I have my plot... I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing. Not as good as a greenhouse, of course, but in a decent year you should get something.

I picked 3.5 kg of tomatoes in my greenhouse on Friday... ;)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
With my raised beds we put a water permiable weed barrier underneath but then they're 3 sleepers high so pretty deep anyway. I doubt it does much but we had spare stuff to use up. On top of that is a layer of stone then we filled it up from the local farmer's muck heap. We just went up and asked and he was happy to let us take as much as we wanted. It's been sat there for 5-6 years he reckons so ideal for growing stuff in. Full off weeds and seeds but doesn't take long to pick them out.

The beds drain really well and everything grows like mad in there, so much so I had to add mini beds in between the beds to get more space.

They're not quite filled this year, the plan was to grow a load of stuff this year and build it up next year with soil or whatever.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE