More pillow questions!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
In my quest to find a pillow I can sleep with, has anyone found these...

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/1040511_v_3000_42x22cm/Ajungilak+SoftSkin+Pillow.html

...for sale on a UK site?

And has anyone used any of the Thermarest pillows?

Edit: many thanks for all the "bag full of pants replies" - it doesn't work for me and not suitable in the situation I want to use it, but thank you. I just want to know if anyone has used either the Mammut or Thermarest pillows.

Many thanks,

Andy

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
We have both the thermarestAa camp pillow and the snugpak one. Both weigh about the same but the thermarest is bigger and more supportive. They both roll up into their selves and pack quite small. Id go for thethermarest, just to note I ordered mine in green and it's a camp pillow in more than one way as it's covered in flowers:)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Um.. I just use a stuff sack with my spare clothes in and once I'm wearing them then I find leaves and fuzzy stuff to put in it, also handy as tinder when it dries out :)

If that doesn't work then have you considered getting a normal pillow and chopping it in half and sewing the raw edge closed? Savin' Money :)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
We have both the thermarestAa camp pillow and the snugpak one. Both weigh about the same but the thermarest is bigger and more supportive. They both roll up into their selves and pack quite small. Id go for thethermarest, just to note I ordered mine in green and it's a camp pillow in more than one way as it's covered in flowers:)

Cheers mate, when inflated, how thick is it? None of the sites give that dimention which I find crazy!

Andy

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks Cobweb,

Doesn't really work for me, and I need something that packs down as small as possible - European tour with space at a premium, which scuppers the clothes idea as the sprare clothes will be drying from being washed daily!

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
id say around 15cm ish, i find it comfortable. its made out of a small bits of foam i think so the longer you leave it the thicker it gets.
George

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I usually go for a dry bag, you can't get much lighter than the exped ones and I've always got those for one job or another, and if I havent got clothes to back there is usually waterproofs etc.

Personally I wouldn't carry a pillow as its extra weight for something with only one use.

Looking at that Mammut pillow, does it have a filling or is it purely air filled. ME do their Pneumo dry bags with a valve that looks very similar to that but its then multipurpose.

Matt

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I usually go for a dry bag, you can't get much lighter than the exped ones and I've always got those for one job or another, and if I havent got clothes to back there is usually waterproofs etc.

Personally I wouldn't carry a pillow as its extra weight for something with only one use.

Looking at that Mammut pillow, does it have a filling or is it purely air filled. ME do their Pneumo dry bags with a valve that looks very similar to that but its then multipurpose.

Matt

Hi,

As I said earlier and on the previous thread...

That doesn't really work for me, and I need something that packs down as small as possible - European bike tour with space at a premium, which scuppers the clothes idea as the sprare clothes will be drying from being washed daily!

Plus, the only waterproofs will be armoured motorbke gear.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think Lithril means to use it as a blow up pillow.
I know that mine will hold air and keep it in with no bother at all.
It seems like a good idea tbh, a waterproof storage bag that doubles as a pillow.

cheers,
Toddy

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Yup if you don't have anything to fill it with, then inflate it (the ME Pneumobag has a valve similar to the thermarest attached), if space is at a premium then a dry bag will pack down smaller, be lighter and have multiple uses.

As far as I'm concerned a pillow is additional and unnecessary bulk and weight to add to my kit.

Matt

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I use a cotton bag with spare clothes in

the oparative word is `cotton` you need to have something familiar to put your face against

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The foil bags out've wine boxes make nice pillows, especially if you've just finnished emptying it before hand :eek: can just blow them up ( though put under a piece of material to stop the "crinkling" noise) or even when it's cold put warm water in. Adjust pressure to suit your tastes.You can even use them before emptying though towards the end you have to blow air in to get the right result. Good way to make a thing do more than one job whilst away... always a credo for me.
GB.

waddcal

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2008
Solihull
i use a 3l iv bag,
which i also use as a water bladder,
just one of the many benefits of having parents that are doctors :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE