Cooking grills used on fires?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
As an alternative, consider a couple of fire irons - metals bars about 14 inches long, inch wide, 1/8th or more thick. Lay these across stones or a firebox and they provide very stable support for pots and pans, and don't require such a level set-up as a grill. Very strong too.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I use a trivet made of 3 strap hinges bolted together, I pinched the idea from the thread on hobo stoves :D

It folds down small, is dead cheap and you could use more for multiple pans, slotted together whatever way works.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
As promised here are some pics of the grill in action.
I must addmit the grill sat at the perfect height for cooking over the camp fire,
which was more by luck than design.

I the morning however it was a different story, when it came to the bbq brekie.
It was a bit to high, not really a problem if u have a small spade or a big hammer,lol
a work in progress.

enjoy the pics http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/belzeebob23/Firegrill?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbnlYXnpPjgQg#

belzeebob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I must addmit the grill sat at the perfect height for cooking over the camp fire,

It was a bit to high, not really a problem if u have a small spade or a big hammer,lol
a work in progress.

enjoy the pics http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/belzeebob23/Firegrill?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbnlYXnpPjgQg#

belzeebob

Hey Belzeebob,

Was a fantastic weekend eh! Thought the grill worked a treat, yup the legs on my dutchy were in the wrong place for the width of the grill, but it's a 12" and you intend to get a 10" legless (fnar fnar) one, and I thought the tangine still tasted pretty spiffing though I do say so myself :rolleyes:
It made a some decent pots of coffee and though you said that the legs were to long for BBQing as opposed to over a fire bed well maybe not. The wood we had was very dry and of a good quality so that it burnt to ash rather than lumps ( plus we do know how to burn stuff :D ) so a normal ember bed would give hight. Plus think it only took a few minutes if that to heap the stones before we cheated with the bagged charcoal... like we often do in the morning. But we could also have put the charcoal over logs to raise the height and give a good ember bed for later in the day. ( we were unfortunatly leaving shortly after).
Breckie was great, nothing stuck to the copper mesh despite my unfounded fears over the heat absorbing properties of the copper ( it was wonderfull to watch the heat patterns play over the metal) and all four (You, Iain, Snoop and I) had a wonderfull repast.
Not sure on reflection if your extra shorter legs are needed... unless you wanna have a linbo competition lol.
Again a great weekend, looking forward to the next... Comrie Croft anyone? to see it in action again, heck we may even bring all three tipods next time too. :eek:
Cheers mate,
Goatboy.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
If we did that we would be like scape metal dealers lol
but up for cromie croft if u can get it booked or back to where we where lastnight
got it in my gps
belzeebob

Hey Belzeebob,

Was a fantastic weekend eh! Thought the grill worked a treat, yup the legs on my dutchy were in the wrong place for the width of the grill, but it's a 12" and you intend to get a 10" legless (fnar fnar) one, and I thought the tangine still tasted pretty spiffing though I do say so myself :rolleyes:
It made a some decent pots of coffee and though you said that the legs were to long for BBQing as opposed to over a fire bed well maybe not. The wood we had was very dry and of a good quality so that it burnt to ash rather than lumps ( plus we do know how to burn stuff :D ) so a normal ember bed would give hight. Plus think it only took a few minutes if that to heap the stones before we cheated with the bagged charcoal... like we often do in the morning. But we could also have put the charcoal over logs to raise the height and give a good ember bed for later in the day. ( we were unfortunatly leaving shortly after).
Breckie was great, nothing stuck to the copper mesh despite my unfounded fears over the heat absorbing properties of the copper ( it was wonderfull to watch the heat patterns play over the metal) and all four (You, Iain, Snoop and I) had a wonderfull repast.
Not sure on reflection if your extra shorter legs are needed... unless you wanna have a linbo competition lol.
Again a great weekend, looking forward to the next... Comrie Croft anyone? to see it in action again, heck we may even bring all three tipods next time too. :eek:
Cheers mate,
Goatboy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

a work in progress.

belzeebob

Looks like a good investment belzeebob

Anymore pics from the weekend ? ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Angle iron works fine as shown here

DSCF2109640x480.jpg

This was made by the member of another forum for me, its really good

DSCF4103640x480.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now you see thats a proper sized grill ...for actually cooking on

Anyone able to make something similar on here?

Red

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
But that idea of the metal door mat from MartinK9 is an absolute corker. (is there a problem with galvanized ones burning nastily?)

I'm going to show my ignorance here but could someone enlighten me on the problem with galvanised steel. I bought some folding camp shelves at a car boot this weekend and was planning on using them as a grill but I think they might be galvanised.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast

a work in progress.

belzeebob

Wow, those pics are making me very hungry :D :D :D

I have a spare oven shelf but absolutely no metalworking skills. Is there any easy way someone can think of that I could put legs on it?

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
some of these heavy duty grills look great, so long as ya camping less than 100yrds from the car,

reckon a cake rack and improvise how ya gonna support it when ya use it, would be ample

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was eyeing up the one Goatboy and Beelzebub2 were using and thinking it looked really sound :approve: but like you, I think it's for car or canoe camping. Excellent kit though :D

For lightweight though, is the grilliput really so bad ? :confused:
I kind of liked the idea that it all went away cleanly but was supposed to be solid enough to leave pots on to simmer.

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Toddy and Saddle_Tramp,

Oh yeah it's definitely for either car / canoe camping or if there's gonna be a base camp where we'd be for quite while.

As I mentioned earlier there's also some tripods we can through into the mix too, but for general walking I'd improvise with what was around or have some of the lighter kit. It's funney though some folks at the shop cant get their head round the fact that a wood-burner like a kelly-kettle is lighter than a titanium ultralight gas stove as I don't have to carry fuel and it'll not run out either. Don't get me wrong I have more stoves than you could shake a feathered stick at but I like to use what I think will be suitable / appropriate to the task.

Plus as you can see by our builds these days the three of us in the pics are deffinately built for comfort these days.

Cheers for the comments,
TTFN
Goatboy.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm going to show my ignorance here but could someone enlighten me on the problem with galvanised steel. I bought some folding camp shelves at a car boot this weekend and was planning on using them as a grill but I think they might be galvanised.

I believe the zinc will give off noxious fumes when at heat which can basically kill you. If I remember correctly, a knife maker died from zinc fumes being given off not too long back when forging. I can't remember the exact information, maybe one of the guys from British Blades would be able to help you as I seem to recall it came up over there as a thread a while back. I'd take a look for you, but you know how it is! :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE