Hiking food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Off for a hike round snowdonia over the weekend. I am after some inspiration for hill food as I fed up taking the same old stuff!

I usually take choclate bars, flapjack, dried apple bars, peanuts etc, but the thought of having another weekends walking eating this stuff is horrible - anyone recommend any different hill food to keep the palate guessing?

My evening meal is sorted just need to stuff to eat through the day while on the trail.

Cheers all

Jan 22, 2006
uk
Hi Bob,
one of the best things i've had while out was a few leftover slices of a decent full-on homemade pizza. Sounds fairly ordinary but knee deep in snow on the Brecons made it feel like a real luxury. I'm not sure why that made any difference, I'm not a foodie in any way at all, but it really hit the spot.

I generally dont stop much if I'm on my own, but if I'm with my wife or others we tend to make ....more of a meal of it...ahem... and a few posh things that arent so utalitarian seem to give a bit of a lift. Even if it does weigh a bit more and not have the same calories, I've just enjoyed the evening meal all the more for it.

I think its sometimes worth having a gander around a great little deli etc for silly stuff you'd normally ignore. Even if it does get a bit crushed, I dont mind - its a rare occurance for me to make an effort with nice food!

thanks for your podcasts over the years - really enjoyed em!
cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Either homemade, or from Martyn the Jerkymeister, Jerky and fruit leathers :D and Son2 has recently taken a notion to those mini babybells. Easy to keep clean, simple to peel and munch.........and the waxy skin burns :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Off for a hike round snowdonia over the weekend. I am after some inspiration for hill food as I fed up taking the same old stuff!

I usually take choclate bars, flapjack, dried apple bars, peanuts etc, but the thought of having another weekends walking eating this stuff is horrible - anyone recommend any different hill food to keep the palate guessing?

My evening meal is sorted just need to stuff to eat through the day while on the trail.

Cheers all
I’d say my favourite snack/trail food for long walks is Bombay mix (some brands are quite low in fat less than 20%) and a great pocket food, for a more substantial food I say Spanish dulce chorizo cut in to half in rounds and munched along side some fresh apple. If you have a sweet tooth, top it off with sesame seed bars, which are sweet and crunchy at the same time. Pistachio nuts unshelled are a great nibble food and give you something to do when walking, just don’t eat to many as they are 50% fat.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
I agree with the pizza. This makes an excellent trail food! I also like to bring the fixings for bannock, but I am not sure you are "allowed" to make fires in your area.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
  • Mini salami, or if desperate Pepperami
  • Babybel cheese
  • Oranges - No matter how hot it is, they are always cool & refreshing (just remember to pack out the skin:rolleyes: )
  • Boiled sweets - an old habit developed when I used to get rat packs for free:D

HTH,

Simon

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
How about, some TV add used to say: Du pain, du vin, du boursin :D

(a small 25ml bottle and a tiny glass)

Also, dry sausisson (can eat as it is, also slice it thinly and you can stick in a cooking pot)...dried figs... that sort of thing ;)

And don't forget the table cloth...:rolleyes:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Malt loaf is a favourite of mine / tube of primula and oatcakes or biscuits of choice and squeeze primula over in large quantities, babybells as alternative to primula, small bread roll or fruit buns alternative to oatcakes / hard boiled eggs / eccles cakes / peperami / dates / jelly babies.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
has anyone tried those heinz snap pots? little one person serving in a carton and no can to weigh your pack down!
i like the idea of pizza too, thats got to be a good one!
has anyone taken the likes of cured ham/bacon? i know the properly cured stuff should last for weeks, even in a pack. rather then the shop bought stuff.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I'm going to make a dehydrator soon. Like the idea of being able to take a meal that I've made with me rather than packet foods

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Either homemade, or from Martyn the Jerkymeister, Jerky and fruit leathers :D and Son2 has recently taken a notion to those mini babybells. Easy to keep clean, simple to peel and munch.........and the waxy skin burns :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Wrap up the wax and the plastic and it burns pretty well :D

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I like those biscuit-like oatcakes, just a bit of butter and some sandwich meat on them is a good snack, not enough for a meal but good enough for a tea-break.

Indian snacks like onion bhajis, samosas, etc.

Welsh cakes are wicked.

I totally agree with pizza and I go for pasties too.

If you have a method of boiling water is available, then Ainsley instant soups are nice. You can also throw chorizo or salami in there too.

Julian Graves do a really nice nut and berry mix which has tons of brazils and cranberries and things in which makes a lovely change from "nuts and raisins".

If you have a solid box, then salad is nice, even if it's tomatoes and cucumber chunks.

Again with the hard box, my kids love fromage frais tubes.

Fruit. I don't go for oranges cos they are sticky.

Rivitta are doing a fruit version, which I like.

Eat Natural bars are lovely compared to flapjacks, unless you make the flapjack yourself.

My kids like cake bars. But cake is good too.

I don't go for it myself, but peperami, salami or jerky are popular.

Happy eating :)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
me and a m8 just mentioned Miso soup!
fantastic japanese food, easy to carry (get the little sachets) and comes in many different varieties.
plus you can use it as a stock if you do a fish stew ;)
other japanese foods that keep are rice snacks and cakes. also instant noodles (always a classic) you can even get dried vegitables from alot of the online places (like japan centre) and go great into noodle dishes etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE