The boy's first night out (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
After meeting the one condition that I got a tent to prevent our precious firstborn from being snatched by the boogeyman and then having to acquire a huge bergen to carry all our gear in myself we headed out for the night, first time as father and son.

Destination? Somewhere in here:

campingmay09001.jpg

Making our way in
campingmay09014.jpg

Got set up and before we knew it, nightfall. Owen's job was to tend the fire. I bet there aren't many 6 year olds that get this job these days.
campingmay09016.jpg

Campfire conversation centred on Star Wars, whether the sun is hotter than a fire and why we don't go for a wee in the middle of camp!
campingmay09017.jpg

Although it was a clear night, we were under a thick canopy so the woods were pitch black. There wasn't a hint of nervousness from Owen. The dawn was lovely.
campingmay09019.jpg

We weren't staying long next day so rather than light a real fire I decided to get a brew going on the hobo stove. The bacon went on after that, oh yes.
campingmay09023.jpg

Owen was snug as a bug in a snugpak meanwhile.
campingmay09024.jpg

campingmay09021.jpg

He finally woke up and attempted a photograph of his Pa.
campingmay09026.jpg

Fully awake now and raring to go.
campingmay09032.jpg

Looking forward to being to reunited with his Ma. He had a great time. He even marked the camp spot by standing a funny shaped stick up against a tree so he could find it again.
campingmay09033.jpg

Man that bergen was heavy. I don't think my spine will be the same again!
campingmay09034.jpg

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Excellent!
happy0034.gif

Thank you both for sharing your great time out, I loved the photo's and the campfire chatter sounds terrific.

Looks like you've got a hiking partner who's going to be eager to take to the woods.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That was lovely :D
Stirs memories too, my sons are in their twenties, and they looked just like that all those years ago; it's scary just how fast they grow up.

Wee boys and fires and tents and woodlands :D :cool: lochs and burns and hills and rockslides and cliffs :rolleyes: Love them dearly and heart roasted too :eek: Ay up to something :)

Hope there are many more days and nights out like that for you both,

atb,
M

Very Special !

Have taken my eldest (4yo boy) camping once or twice, (starting in the garden).

He has also accompanied me on daytime bimbles to the woods when I've been trying out new gear etc.

He loves sitting / laying / playing in my hammock & wants to do an overnight in it at the woods - not sure what SWMBO would have to say about it though.

Thanks for sharing your experience - I could empathise with you - nice.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Happy little camper!!

Nice to see kids interacting with something that doesn't require a CD and games pad.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Fabulous Prawnster. Great to see other dads getting their kids involved in the outdoors .
My son is now 6 and keen for an overnighter now having seen your pics :You_Rock_
Heres a pic of Greg keeping the Hobo stoked .

P1260433.jpg

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Fabulous Prawnster. Great to see other dads getting their kids involved in the outdoors .
My son is now 6 and keen for an overnighter now having seen your pics :You_Rock_
Heres a pic of Greg keeping the Hobo stoked .

P1260433.jpg

How happy does he look? Great picture.

I'm chuffed to bits I've got some Dad's a step closer to taking their kids out overnight.

What could be better for a young lad or lass than being out in the woods with their Dad?

Bushcrafters' kids are happy kids methinks.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
Looks like a fine piece of father/son bonding Prawnster.

My daughter is 4 and her bushcraft education is underway. We made a solar still with a poly bag on a live bush in the garden at the weekend and managed to extract half a cup of water at the end of the afternoon. The girl thought it was magic. She's a bit scared of the dark for a trip to the woods yet, but the time will come.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
EXCELLENT POST!

I'm a big fan of "lads and dads" camping trips - started mine aged about 7 or 8 i think - he's now 11 and still loving it.

every lad and dad should have a go.

PM me if anyone fancies a group lads / dads thing?

Dom

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Its one of the father son thing's. Wish i had a sleeping bag that big for myself with room to move in.
Cheers Topknot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE