Sir Ranulph

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

Maverick47

Im not impressed by his achievements, which seem somewhat boring, but I did enjoy his book on Scott.

We now have guys on here actually trying to justify his acheivements to you? Unbelievable!

Which planet are you from?

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
We now have guys on here actually trying to justify his acheivements to you? Unbelievable!

Which planet are you from?

Tengu's post was more of a request for information than a criticism. She wasn't rude or disrespectful.

Your post seems a bit harsh.

Cheers,

Huon

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
But theres still things no one has done...Why follow well beaten tracks?
Im no adventurer but if I was Id try something new

Interesting observation - so what would you suggest as 'something new'? I might be up for it if it's not too yucky, like snokeling the length of the London sewage system!

Jim

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Maybe , something like;-

2009 Fiennes led an expedition that discovered the last working public telephone box in Scotland .

Four months after a heart attack he thought 'I really ought to take it easy' and rested on a La'z'Boy.

First man to visit both the most Northly MacD's and the most Southerly MacD's by and order a fillet'o'fish

First man to cross an Ice rink on foot dressed as a giant chicken

Oldest man to Climb the 50th highest mountain.

Just for fun.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Naw, boring and Sir R don't belong in the same sentence.;)

The man has a very dry, understated sense of humour too. I could listen to him for hours and wonder where the time had gone.
Find and watch the episode of Top Gear that featured Sir Ranulph as the 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car'...... The interview was terribly modest, he got sacked from the SAS for helping a friend demolish an architectural obstacle using 'misaccounted' explosives, accumulated by efficient explosions elsewhere, leaving a 'surplus'.....

For all his eccentricities, we would be culturally poorer without his influence.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I've read a couple of his books. He's a remarkable man, he doesn't see the world the way most people do. The kind of things an average person would regard as once in a lifetime experiences are routine to him. As you're reading it's the little things he does between challenges that have you shaking your head in disbelief. If he doesn't have a couple of statues some day it'll be a travesty.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The interview was terribly modest, he got sacked from the SAS for helping a friend demolish an architectural obstacle using 'misaccounted' explosives, accumulated by efficient explosions elsewhere, leaving a 'surplus'.....

seems that his stick where pretty much glad to get rid of him as "he was the sort of Rupert that would get you killed" as my friendthat had that pleasure says. Oh and he cheated on the Long Drag.

But fair dues to him since.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I can't believed I missed such great posts as some on here.

Not much to see on Everest ( I've never been but I imagine the view is better than Snowdon).

Achievements considered boring ( Yawwwwn, just nipping off to the South Pole on foot darling).

Homer Simpson summed it all up. If you never do anything, you'll never make any mistakes.

So here is my challenge to the naysayers. Name a person, it could even be yourself, currently alive who has led a more adventurous life. I honestly don't think we have any contenders.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
So here is my challenge to the naysayers. Name a person, it could even be yourself, currently alive who has led a more adventurous life. I honestly don't think we have any contenders.[/QUOTE]

What he said.

Yes, he had a privileged upbringing, but at the end of the day he got off his @rse and organised things for himself, almost always with uncertain outcomes.
His training weekends are probably more adventurous than anything that I've ever done, and I'll be using him as an example to my sons of the Spirit of Adventure.

The Spirit of Adventure is international of course, but the people of the these islands seem to have it in abundance, possibly because they want to escape the rain.

Cheers, Michael.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
i have to say i thought the interview was great and so is the man

I cant believe no one has mentioned this but and its one of the most crazy things Ive ever read.

The man sawed his own frost bitten thumb off with a junior hack saw and a vice because he was bored with and didn't fancy the pain any more waiting for the docs to do it for him :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE