Artic Survival Course??? Co-op basis.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
This seemed to be the best place to stick this to gain possible interest but if Mods want to move it , so be it.

Just wondering if anyone else may be interested in knocking off an Arctic Survival course within the next 6 - 12 ( 18?) months?

I would have thought if enough people show ( serious ) interest it would be possible to use the power of the 'group consumer' to get some decent discount by dealing directly with potential schools and instructors, and using the 'clout' of a group booking to get a discounted price for all. As a group you could probably dictate the contents of a course to a point, however agreeing amongst ourselves is another thing.

The sort of course i am thinking of is similiar to this one ;-

http://www.ollysuziexpeditions.com/expeditions/arctic-survival/index.php

Alot of the UK schools run expeditions and would seem to just outsource to the local instructors , so why can't we just organize ourselves and deal directly??

Anyway thats the sort of half-a##ed pitch i wanted to make.

Any comments??

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well , if i t helps i have been thinking about delaying this until 2011/2012 when ( app ) the Northern Lights will be at the strongest part of the 11 year cycle.

Wayland, your a Viking, go and pillage something!!

Anyway , just saying , a possible delay to the pre-conceive date. Close enough to work and budget to and distant enough to allow people to budget for it.

Once in a lifetime trip etc.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Sounds interesting,I met up with Olly in the Swedish Arctic last year,top bloke!
Put me on your list of "Maybes!"
My best.
Chris.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Are you looking at "flash" (dog-sled, brand name instructor), or just a course in basic sub-arctic (tundra) survival? Two different kinds of course, two different price levels.

I spent some time up north with the military, and has participated in (and taught) the Swedish Survival Guilds winter course (which normally runs out of Lannavaara, NE of Kiruna). If you are looking for the latter type course I could give you some names of good people.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Forestwalker, If i read you correctly , are you asking if the course is either pampered and comforts ( flash ) or basic raw instruction?

Well i can only answer for myself ( so others can chip in..) I would be looking at a basic nor frills instruction in arctic survival to keep costs to the min.

I would like to combine the trip with some husky sledding for 2/3 days but to be honest this could be set up with a different instructor if that wasn't an option.

I don't know if Lars Falt can be 'booked' directly ? to teach but i would be very interested in getting some contact details off you if possible., regardless if this looks like a 'group' buy or not.

I think the main advantage of this is theat we can approach instructors on a tender basis. "We have x amount of people willing to pay £xxx , what can you offer etc."

Gotta be better then going through a UK school?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Forestwalker, If i read you correctly , are you asking if the course is either pampered and comforts ( flash ) or basic raw instruction?

Well i can only answer for myself ( so others can chip in..) I would be looking at a basic nor frills instruction in artic survival to keep costs to the min.

IIRC the price was SEK 3500 all inclusive last time we ran the course. I'm pretty certain this that included transportation from Kiruna (reachable by air or rail). I think you could get the price down a bit, but then you don't have the "acclimation" days while sleeping in a cabin. For those with no prior cold winter experience I would suggest that that money is well spent. One could possibly do something like renting the community hall and sleeping on the floor an save quite a bit of money.

One option is to get in on our winter course, but I have no idea when it will be run the next time.

I would like to combine the trip with some husky sledding for 2/3 days but to be honest this could be set up with a different instructor if that wasn't an option.

It should be possible to find someone who runs tourists with sleddogs.

I don't know if Lars Falt can be 'booked' directly ? to teach but i would be very interested in getting some contact details off you if possible., regardless if this looks like a 'group' buy or not.

I suspect that he can be booked. I have an ancient email address, but I would not spread it without verifying his opinion (and if it is current). He does not appear to be listen in the phone book...

I think the main advantage of this is theat we can approach instructors on a tender basis. "We have x amount of people willing to pay £xxx , what can you offer etc."

I can give you one name for a good instructor in Sweden (who has run our winter course several times, and also runs a jungle course in Malaysia). PM me with contact info.

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Keep me in mind for 2011/2012 +1 other I would have thought.

Just come back from a famous instructors Arctic Survival course and can't wait to get back!!!

And I think Lars, can be reached I have his card if it helps.

Chris

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Is the sort of course i have ( very roughly ) sketched out what the majority of interested parties are looking for?

All persons interested in a bit of Sledding also.?

Just trying to get an idea if we are all in agreement about the sort of course we are looking for.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
IIRC the price was SEK 3500 all inclusive last time we ran the course. I'm pretty certain this that included transportation from Kiruna (reachable by air or rail). I think you could get the price down a bit, but then you don't have the "acclimation" days while sleeping in a cabin. For those with no prior cold winter experience I would suggest that that money is well spent. One could possibly do something like renting the community hall and sleeping on the floor an save quite a bit of money.

QUOTE]

Just so people who read this know, If the price stands at around the 3500 SEK ( Thats a IF , as forest walker has offered that info off the top of his head I'm not holding him to it if it proceeds) then 3500 SEK would be around £300.00.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Frankly i'm up for anything, the more we can squeeze in the better, since turning 30 i feel old and just want to try as many different things as possible, sledding, snow shoe walks, survival, anything, let me know how it progresses and some dates etc and possible when deposits are needed.

Would we have a wee pre trip get together to meet everyone??

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Frankly i'm up for anything, the more we can squeeze in the better, since turning 30 i feel old and just want to try as many different things as possible, sledding, snow shoe walks, survival, anything, let me know how it progresses and some dates etc and possible when deposits are needed.

Would we have a wee pre trip get together to meet everyone??

Amen to that.. Too many regrets. Too little time.

Guess so. Could'nt hurt.

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
I was in Sweden in Feb on an artic course. Had a blast, timing and cost permitting I'd love to go back

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Shocks , can you give us some details of the course? Was it survival school? Who did the actual teaching? Cost and duration? Flight costs.

Ta muchly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE