New feline family member!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks :D

SWMBO just bought my a norwegian forest cat for my birthday :D He's a gorgeous 18-month old MASSIVE cat! Already the size of a large domestic cat, and he's about 3 1/2 years of growing yet to do! :eek: :D

thor.jpg

There he is lazing away after a hard days chasing feathers :D

Pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh beautiful :D
How big will he get eventually ?

I've never bought a cat, one always seems to find me when I have a cat shaped space in my life, but if I ever do, I fancy a Maine coon :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
The males get to between 13-22lbs (6-10kg) apparantly, so quite large :D The females are about half that, and he's already bigger than his mother! His father was apparantly a pretty big one, so time will tell I guess! I'd estimate he's about 3-4kg right now. Apparantly they're also one of the few cats that won't get stuck up a tree...

kulfi.jpg

There's a pic of a fully grown one!
Picture borrowed from Hindarfiall Breeders! :eek:

Maine Coons are lovely cats too! And again, massive cats! I was initially looking for a Maine Coon, but this fella was too lovely to pass up :)

Pete

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Oh beautiful :D
How big will he get eventually ?

I've never bought a cat, one always seems to find me when I have a cat shaped space in my life, but if I ever do, I fancy a Maine coon :cool:

cheers,
Toddy
Hi Toddy
If you ever get the chance Get a Maine Coon They are great Cats
I have 3 now 2 females and a male the females are about 20 lb
and the male is close to 30. They have the traits of a dog more
then a cat and are very good companions

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What a nice looking moggie, best not let SWMBO see this thread or she'll be after one herself.

A Norwegian forest cat, does that mean he'll be coming out to the woods with you and chilling round the fire.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thas gonna be one big cat !

Remember to try and keep him in at night or the local wildlife population is going to take a nose dive lol.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It would certainly give that fox that's terrorising the local moggies paws (okay, bad pun :rolleyes: :D ) for thought, though :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Cheers folks :D

Toddy - that could be rather amusing :cool:

Thought I'd share a few pictures taken tonight. He's a bit of a poser - paused every few moments to groom when the camera came out :p

thorkatt.jpg

thorkatt2.jpg

thorkatt3.jpg

thorkatt4.jpg

He's settling in nicely, eating well and very playful - acting very much like a kitten, though he's very careful not to bite hard or sink his claws in. His name is Thorkatt by the by - redhead and I'm sure, part giant :D

Pete

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The males get to between 13-22lbs (6-10kg) apparantly, so quite large :D The females are about half that, and he's already bigger than his mother! His father was apparantly a pretty big one, so time will tell I guess! I'd estimate he's about 3-4kg right now. Apparantly they're also one of the few cats that won't get stuck up a tree...

kulfi.jpg

There's a pic of a fully grown one!
Picture borrowed from Hindarfiall Breeders! :eek:

Maine Coons are lovely cats too! And again, massive cats! I was initially looking for a Maine Coon, but this fella was too lovely to pass up :)

Pete

Good God!! Just how big are the mice in Norway!!!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Good God!! Just how big are the mice in Norway!!!

:lmao: Perhaps they hunt Squirrels too? In Norse mythology, Ratatoskr is a squirrel which runs along Yggdrasil passing messages between the eagle at the top and Níðhöggr, who is eating the roots of the World Tree, at the bottom. Maybe they figure that the more Norwegian Forest Cats on the case, the better ;) :D

Pete

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Pete , I think you may have to get a 2nd and a 3rd part time job to feed that thing.

If it ever gets sick you need to reach for the Tranq gun before the cat ( horse ) box.

In fact , forget the Tranq gun , but please video yourself 'goading' the cat into a cat box, then put up on u-tube, I could do with a giggle.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hmmm, We "saved" a cat from the street last year. Should be about 2 years old now. It looks awfully like yours....

Hope it doesn't turn out to be that big.... She's harassing our other cats allready, but at the least now the other 2 still have a chance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE