Landrover or Landcruiser?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well now - a perspective here

The game keeper on this farm described landroovers as ******** carp. His words were "I have to work for a living. I can't spend every five ********* minutes getting some bl***y thing fixed. I need a truck that can haul stuff, get into the woods and mud and not need to be bl**dy cosseted every five minutes"

He was delighted when his 110 was chopped in on a Nissan pickup. He does many tens of thousands of miles each year off road and describes landrovers as "posers toys".

I've driven buckies, cruisers and LRs for decades. More and more I have seen people who need a solid reliable off road vehicle for real working needs switch to some form of Japanese truck or estate.

Me - having owned them from series two onwards, I'll never buy another. I could live with the lack of comfort if there was some build quality. There isn't.

Working vehicles aren't about some "extreme mud plugging" competiiton. Ultimately, the first criteria is that it has to work, all day, every day.

Red

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
I'll jump in. I stand on the Land Cruiser side of the fence, so naturally, I'm going to favor my cruiser. I have a 1995 land cruiser 80. solid front axle, full floater rear. center, front and rear locking diffs. can fit 35s stock. pretty amazing offroad. yes, it looks prettier and daintier than landys, and I am loath to scratch it. however, it is very reliable, has a super strong frame and is more capable than I am offroad (and more capable than land rovers offroad :) ) Someone mentioned land rovers were better offroad, with their traction control and all. as I see it, traction control is basically a poor-man's locking differential. you simply can't get more traction than having equal power going to all 4 wheels (locking center, front, rear)

Vibrant

Jan 10, 2009
Australia
I've had an 80 series turbo diesel (Sahara) and and HJ47 with a 350 Chev - both were excellent vehicles. I wish I had kept that Sahara - double diff locks and 33" Cooper STTs... that thing would climb mirrors.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Ive owned a cluster of solihul products over the years amd id have to say the more modern they are the less capable of coping with abuse they are .the best ones are the older ones but i cant fit in them . now theyre to weighed down with aircon electric this and that and have become a fashion statement rather than utility /workhorse
id have to say i would now side with toyota . however the best 4x4 ive owned as far as reliability and fun was a G reg Fiat panda 4x4 , no matter what i did to it , it just kept coming back for more and it ran circles around my employers new 110, which went down like a lead ballon. as long as it had nobbly tyres on it would literally go anywhere and didnt break the bank to run .

stevee

Apr 24, 2009
Kent
Get a real 4x4 and buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee
2011-jeep-grand-cherokee-2-450.jpg

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I'm on my fifth Land Rover (90, 110, S2, 127) - now driving a 1954 Series 1. Is it better than a Toyota? Absolutely. Is it more reliable, comfortable, economical, easy to live with? Not a chance. If you want to get to your destination, buy a Toyota. If you want to get there late, covered in oil, but with a big sloppy grin then get an old Land Rover :)

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
I'm on my fifth Land Rover (90, 110, S2, 127) - now driving a 1954 Series 1. Is it different than a Toyota? Absolutely. Is it more reliable, comfortable, economical, easy to live with? Not a chance. If you want to get to your destination, buy a Toyota. If you want to get there late, covered in oil, but with a big sloppy grin then get an old Land Rover :)

fixed it for you :)

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
well i would just look at what one did the long expeditions like the darien gap / the camel trophy all that kinda thing :) London to cape town is another one that springs to mind... get your self a decent series truck and enjoy it had mine years and other than normal servicing never have to open the bonnet :)
*pic isn't mine but gives you the idea*
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/pjkr/Morocco%2009/P4040166.jpg
*pic used with permissions and stuffs*

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE