Foraging for beginners...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
I'm always promising myself to go out foraging for stuff but I never get round to it. My time is a bit limited so I never get the chance to read up on things. However some of my local woods are really quite diverse but I don't know what to pick or what to do with stuff when I get it home!
Can anyone advise on what I should be taking advantage of in my local woods. My ID skills are currently next to zero, one of the few abundant plants that I can identify is wild garlic and I notice that they are in flower at the moment.

Thanks.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Karlos,

My advice is to simply look around and look at what gets your attention and take a few pictures of it even if it's a cruddy mobile phone camera. Once you get home you can use whatever books you have and Google images is a superb resource to compare.

Eventually you will build a complete picture of what is in your woods and their uses.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
A good way to learn is to obtain a book on wild flowers and go from there. I find that flowers are often easy to identify using these books, from which I can go on and learn about the uses of the plant.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
There's a discount book chain called "The Works" they are currently doing a deal on "Collins Complete Guide to British Wildlife " for about a fiver, that seems to have nearly all plants, flowers etc etc in it, just about mangable as a field guide, my copy lives in my bimble bag with the binos.
They were also doing the Wild Gourmets book for £3.99.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE