Uses for old deer antler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ricky369

May 11, 2009
NI - Co. Tyrone
Today i found a deer antle (so i think) up my graden, it has been there proably 8 years. Would it still be of much use?

If so how do you work with it?

Bleach it to clean it up with a solution of water and ordinary bleach. Just soak it in a tub with the solution for a week or so and it will clean up nicely. A toothbrush will help.

Without a picture of the antler it's hard to see what you could use it for as it may be very small and different species ahve different uses.

I make stick handles with mine as well as lots of other stuff, handles, butttons, whistles, fire steel holders, you name it really. Red Deer antler is very fibrous inside and reminiscent of honeycomb without the geometry. It's not strong inside, so it's best if you are using it as a handle to fill it with epoxy or expoxy putty. Antler files well, polishes up great, is cut easily using a fret saw, hacksaw, dremel, carved equally well with a dremel but it will depend on how thick your antler is. It stinks when filing or drilling oh and do wear a mask when doing so. Inhaling dust from it is not good.

So post a pic and we can explore from there.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
As woodsmoke says heres a SAK with red deer scales

AntlerSAK1.jpg

Ricky369

May 11, 2009
NI - Co. Tyrone
Do antlers not decay, as i said this one is liek 8 years old but it is still strong.

I will start a project with it, seeing what i can make from it

Thanks for your help

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You can make buttons and whistles with it. A tool to form leather. A socket for a fire drill. A handle for an awl. Lots of little mini projects.

antlerblocks1b.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey Ricky,
just think...
Buttons, toggles, handles, whistles, scales, spoons, needles, digging points, spacers, adornments oh the list goes on, it's a fantastic resource with a wonderful texture.
Unless it's been gnawed to bits or in really damp conditions it should be ok, for certain things.
Love the stuff.
Goatboy.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I made an Axe mask today from a red deer tine.Cut it to length, saw cut down the middle, hole in each end and a bit of elastic through the holes and over the poll. Quick and easy.

Ricky369

May 11, 2009
NI - Co. Tyrone
The inside of the antler isnt solid like Hoodoo's , but i will see how it goes

I soaked it in diluted bleech last night and started cleaning it today, will need a while to soak before it all comes off

thanks for the help. I will post up at some stage what i make from it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE