Stove questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

To answer your questions.

1. The stove takes EN417 threaded canisters which are availalbe in most of the UK.
2. The canisters are generally not refillable.
3. A Canister lasts about 3/4 of an hour if used constantly on high about 2 hours if used on low...

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
337 grams is _far_ too heavy for this type of stove. Also, forget piezo ignition - it just adds weight and is something else to go wrong. Just use a disposable lighter or 'swedish firesteel'.

I use this one, which is 1/4 the weight of the one above, little dearer and is as good as a 'Pocket Rocket', but cheaper:

http://tinyurl.com/os6nf4

Jim

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
These little gas stoves are all expensive to run, about £2 an hour or more. A liquid fuel stove is much cheaper, I can do a whole weekend cooking proper food on about 75p worth of paraffin. If you can possibly afford it go for a Primus Omnifuel, it burns paraffin/petrol/naptha and standard lindal thread gas cans. This one is a great price, £83 delivered from the States, and that price is under the new import duty band so no tax to pay this end. Yes they are bigger than a little gas burner but those gas stoves don't work that well in the cold, these liquid fuel stoves work at any temperature/altitude and with the low running costs you'll soon get your money back.

eBay item

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Liquid stoves are great, but if you want to do a few days or so 3 season backpacking in the U.K., then the lightweight gas stoves are IMO more suitable.

Jim

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Notwithstanding the previous points, the cooking pot itself can make an enormous difference to fuel consumption. The ones with the corrugated bases use much less fuel, like a BetJoil.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Notwithstanding the previous points, the cooking pot itself can make an enormous difference to fuel consumption. The ones with the corrugated bases use much less fuel, like a BetJoil.

And like most gas stoves slow right down in the winter; some will let you invert the gas canister like the Primus ETA setup, the Jetboil won't. In the winter you are better off with the smaller Trangia 27 than most gas stoves in terms of consistant performance.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
337 grams is _far_ too heavy for this type of stove. Also, forget piezo ignition - it just adds weight and is something else to go wrong. Just use a disposable lighter or 'swedish firesteel'.

I use this one, which is 1/4 the weight of the one above, little dearer and is as good as a 'Pocket Rocket', but cheaper:

http://tinyurl.com/os6nf4

Jim

If I'm using a gas stove it tends to be the F1 Power but this little F1 looks good to

And like most gas stoves slow right down in the winter; some will let you invert the gas canister like the Primus ETA setup, the Jetboil won't. In the winter you are better off with the smaller Trangia 27 than most gas stoves in terms of consistant performance.

What's the benifit of inverting the canister?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
What's the benifit of inverting the canister?

Inverting the canister allows the stove to run on liquid LPG rather than vapour. In very cold weather at moderate altitudes this improves the stoves performance. It's only applicable if your stove has a remote canister connected to the burner by a hose and the stove has a preheater tube.

Not applicable to the F1 or MSR Pocket Rocket.

Hope this explains...

John

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Yep, its true about gas losing performance in low temperature, Charles Law in action. But, you can offset this by warming up the cannister beforehand. Not with a naked flame, obviously. Bringing the cannister in contact with your skin is better. I should warn straight away that at extremely low temperatures you have to be careful about this too. But I think it stands repeating that it's possible to boil 1 litre on 10g gas. And that's really boil.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Yep, its true about gas losing performance in low temperature, Charles Law in action. But, you can offset this by warming up the cannister beforehand. Not with a naked flame, obviously. Bringing the cannister in contact with your skin is better. I should warn straight away that at extremely low temperatures you have to be careful about this too. But I think it stands repeating that it's possible to boil 1 litre on 10g gas. And that's really boil.

OUCH! COLD! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE