Unusual encounters in the wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Something I heard yesterday from a work colleague. They said that there was this man who saw people in his house who weren't obviously there, an RAF pilot was one of them. It turned out that it was something to do with the human sight in that it invented images. I think that if the eye are damaged enough the brain will try to invent the missing pieces.

Im not saying thats what your father experienced, it could well be ghosties from the other side. :)

Not a tale from the wilderness, but something I found quite spooky.

I spent the last years of my fathers life caring for him, he had dementia.

His dementia had a number of effects, one of the oddest was that he would see invisible people and the curious thing was the constancy of these illusions, he would see the same invisible people repeatedly. Occasionally he would see something different, for instance when one night he was convinced that there were several young men outside digging up the garden, however these were the exception.

The most frequent illusion was that of a small boy who would sit beside him and watch television, there was also an old women who wandered the garden who wore "old fashioned clothes", a man who always stood facing the wall in the corner of the room and many others.

He once asked me “these people that I see” “they’re not real are they?” “you can’t see them?”, “no” I replied.

My father smiled and said ”mostly they’re not there“, ”sometimes there are just one or two“, ”but sometimes they’re like a river, flowing all the way up to the sky“.

He said nothing more on the subject.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
A true story, you don't have to believe it...

A few years' ago I heard on the radio that there would be loads of falling star activity in the evening. Being an unusually cloudless night, I head out to Pole Hill which has a good view over London and a big sky view.

So settled in with a blanket and my eyes adjusting to the dark I notice a dull white spec in the distance, moving oddly. It gets bigger and bigger and then nearer. The rational part of my brain is saying there will be a simple explanation while trying to figure out the ghostly movement. Floating up and down about two feet from the ground and getting bigger. Difficult to tell the distance or size but definately getting closer. The superstitious side of my brain crying 'run away' is now starting to take over. Then I hear a strange growling noise. The noise materialises into a dog shortly followed by its owner swinging a white plastic bag. All I could see in the distance moments earlier was the bag. The strange bobbing movement was the swinging of the bag seen straight on.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
last year when i was out for one of our outtings we came across this strange beast sleeping under a tree!!! :eek: we backed off and walked around it in fear of waking it....:lmao:

26092008504.jpg

Ive only just seen this carl and ye your right lol, and thanks for putting the holly leavs in my boots

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Interesting topic.

Had not thought of this really .

An interesting read is The Man Who Exorcised The Bermuda Triangle by Reverend Omand which deals with encounters mainly in the outdoors.

Reading through the thread I see a mention to what is called second sight. I think that country dwellers perhaps are more attuned? to Nature and may pick up on certain things.

The reference to shape shifting caught my eye. In Europe I was told of individuals who met what they believed was a human out on the mountains but the effect of meeting this thing was to cause a mental breakdown in the individual and make them sick and die. Mind you, this was in the daytime, not night.

An individual who I know told me they were driving at a crosssroads at night out in the countryside. Saw a hare by the side of the road...ok, no problem except the hare has a cigarette lit in its mouth,,,you can see the glow. The person drove quicker.

When I was a child I lived in an area that had a unconsecrated graveyard in a corner of a field. Premature babies and who really knows what was buried there as there used to be a stigma long ago about burying certain deaths in a regular graveyard. The area had also what is called "forts" and old dolmens in different areas. One night I was up watching TV at my uncle's house with my aunt and uncle, myself and Border Collie. We see my family's Volkswagen with those yellow distinctive lights drive up the long road 1/2 mile away and come right on up to my uncle's house. We hear the roar of the VW engine and the lights shining through the back window of the house as the VW comes right to a stop outside the back of my uncle's house. Keep in mind this is out in the countryside so outside of the house is darkness. My uncle tells me go out the back and switch on the outside porch light electric for them to come in which I do so and open the back door and look out.

Problem is there is no car.
No car outside at all or any trace of a car.
And it just couldn't have disappeared.

I come back in and tell my uncle there is no car out there. My uncle asks are yer sure and goes out to look for himself and steps outside and looks around. He comes in and bolts the door. He asks me and my aunt didn't ye hear it too? Well, then I don't know ..that was very strange. Interesting thing was that my uncle's house was actually bordered on three sides by streams/running water..we saw the VW cross over the small bridge underneath which has a running stream and come up the long wooded driveway....there's supposedly a legend that spooky things cannot cross running water.

Conversation went flat very quick after that. I said my goodbyes and grabbed the Border Collie on a chain and a heavy torch and hustled down in the dark to my own house. Saw our car and felt the engine ice cold and checked with family members no one had been out of the house that evening.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
99% of us live in a society that bombards you with sounds, lights, smell all the time. You go off camping and suddenly all that stops, you are no longer getting sensory bombardment and the brain kicks in a play a few tricks, its sort of confused. So you can get strange dreams, strange sounds etc.

That said, UFO's are real :)

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
A few years ago I spent the night on the summit of Ben Macdui. It was flat calm and mild, so I just slept in my bag near the Surveyer's Hut. I don't believe in ghosts, but it was a bit creepy. I remember lying on my back and thinking 'What if I open my eyes now and see 'The Great Grey Man' standing over me?'. I realised that if you were in a haunted house and got the wind up, you could always run out and close the door behind you, but at night time on a hill it wouldn't be so easy (though Norman Collie did)!

Jim

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
reply to an old thread but oh well i live near pluckley and on occasion have been known to go for night time drives with friends to the woods there and wander around. I don't know if it is the hype associated with pluckley or that i have never been there in the daytime, but i always feel particularly uneasy around there and have seen lights and heard drums and such whilst in the woods. Friends have told me stories of human looking figures out running the cars and disappearing and even of carriages being seen around there. Anybody else care to add to an old thread?

Steve

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Not camping related, but out in the (semi) wilds.

About twenty years ago, I was once with a bunch of friends on some water towers (big earthworks enclosing water tanks maybe 40ft high with sloping grass banks). This was in farmland on the very edge of town, far from houses, . It was a quiet, warm summer night. We'd all been drinking, and were drunk, but not incapable. We were young and having a good time. We were happy, celebrating a friend's birthday. It was maybe one AM. I was sitting with a friend, looking out into the blackness, toward the distant lights of town, and my friend pointed out a strange white shape down in the dark at the base of the earthwork embankment. My first though was that it was a carrier bag caught on barbed wire, reflecting the moon. It just looked like a blur to me (I'm a bit short sighted and wasn't wearing my glasses). But it was bright enough to stand out, and stand out enough for mine and my friend's interest to be peaked. My friend said he was going to go down and see what it is, and me, braver then than now, and interested in this strange bright shape, decided to go down with him.
We slid down the steep bank keeping our eyes on our feet, watching out for rocks and broken glass. I hit the dirt path at the bottom first, and straightend up. As I did, I looked straight into the eyes of a woman on the other side of the stone wall, three or four feet away from me. She had her arms crossed on the top of the wall and what seemed like dungarees and a shirt on. she had shortish hair, cut in a fringe. I looked at her and felt the blood drain from me. I couldn't speak. Not only because I hadn't expected to see her there, but mainly because she was glowing pure white. The glow was so strong that it was reminiscent of the glow around those kids in the Ready Breck adverts. My friend landed beside me moments later and I could hear him inhale as he saw her. He looked at her and I looked at her, and then she said "Is Gareth up there with you?"
"No," my friend said.
I literally couldn't speak.
She asked again if Gareth was up there with us.
My friend told her he wasn't, and after a moment, asked where she was from. She didn't answer but asked again about Gareth. Next thing, my other friends, on hearing the talking, had joined us. There were now five of us down there. My friends were equally shocked, but after a moment, started asking her who she was, where she was from. One even asked if she wanted to come back up to the top of the towers with us. We talked to her for maybe five minutes, but it seemed like an hour, and all the time I was just staring at this etherial glow around her not believing what I was seeing. She kind of interacted with us, in that she said yes or no, but she never told us where she was from, didn;t tell us anything really, except for constanly going back to whether Gareth was with us. Then there was silence, and we all got really spooked. One of us said they were going back up, and we all bolted for the top. At the top, we looked back, and saw nothing. She was gone. We were suddenly edgy, and soon left.
The next day, we went back and had a look round. On the other side of the wall was cow pasture, churned up mud, deep, a large field leading to woodland - maybe four hundred yards. We couldn't work out how, if it were some trick - if someone had mastered a way of making themselves glow in the dark with a glow like a flourescent tube, they had been able to move across that field. It would have been such heavy going.
We met up with our other friends later that day, and talked over what we had seen and heard, and we'd all seen the same, and heard the same.
One of my friends was later talking to her mother, who told us that during the 70s, a girl and her boyfriend had been messing on a trials bike in the fields near the water towers, and had come off. The girl had been killed, but the boy had survived.
I've been over it a few times in my mind since then, and talked about it with other friends, who are scientific/sceptical. The first thing they said was, ahh well, you'd all been drinking. True, but I've been out drinking lots of times and have never seen anything like that. If mere alcohol intake was the case, I would have seen many more "ghosts" in my time. Then there was the theory that tracts of water can affect the brain in a certain way to induce ghost like images in the mind. I could buy that, if it had just been one of us, or if we had all seen a ghost but had seen different ghosts which spoke to some of us but not others, or if it did speak to all of us, said different things.
Of course, it could have been mass hallucination, but maybe if we'd been talking about ghosts around the campfire or something, but we'd not mentioned them.
I believe I and my friends saw a ghost, and I would swear on my eyesight that what I saw was inexplicable and could not have been faked. And until I can come up with some other rational explanation, that's what I will continue to believe.

Last edited:

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I was driving to an appointment one day when I was overcome with a really dark feeling of foreboding, dread and despair which is the only way I can describe it. I slowed down was very concerned and checked my watch because I was certain that something terrible had happened; it was 2.15. When I got home that evening we got a call from from a friend who lives 200 miles away to say that her father-in-law had died suddenly of a heart attack in the garden; at 2.15. His son in law had just left his side to make a cup of tea and left him at the foot of the garden when the son in law suddenly felt a huge gust of wind behind him in the kitchen. Afterward's he found his father in law had died where he had left him. We knew them all very well and had been away on holiday together including the in laws. I still think it amazing how this happened but have no idea what it meant to me or why I was affected this way.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
My second scare was out in the field. As a young lad I often left home really early to go shooting and once on the land I would carefully stalk up to hedgerows in the hope that when I peered over I would find a rabbit or better on the other side. I did this at 6.30 one morning and the sun was just rising as I carefully, quietly lifted my head over the hedge with gun in hand. Suddenly a massive orange meteorite flashed across the sky in front of me the size of a football and followed by a massive tail. It frightened the life out of me but was an amazing sight that I vividly remember to this day!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
have done a lot of walks over kinver edge and near drakelow tunnels in kidderminster. some very strange feeling there, but i have a theory that for me personally, the prescence of large empty man made spaces provokes a eerie feelings, the tunnels are eerie, all the outer structures, the place itself and inside. never a really strong other world exp tho. did have a ufo sighting a month or two ago, i'm quite into military aircraft and was very sure it wasn't terrestrial, wifey witnessed it too thank goodness.

but i worked and stayed at a halls of residence and was a member of staff there and was moved in ahead of the body of students by 3 weeks with the other staff, just the 8 of us. 2 full timers in a sepearte house, and pairs into each building at opposite ends of each block. so well seperated. well the old building and bar/gymnasium were originally police training barracks, and the legend was a guy had comitted suicide there. well everyone reckoned the ladies loos downstairs in the bar building were haunted, and every night on duty we had to check them before locking up. never worried about it cos i knew the doors were just badly hung and drifted open and shut oddly. but the bar was a different story. very much not a place to be on your own, just odd feelings in there. one evening, pretty late after last orders, i was on my own and cashing up, so i locked the doors at both ends of the bar, sealing myself in on my own, i rolled the shutters down and started cashing up, i then got on my knees to clean the fridges behind the counter and as i'm cleaning away i hear a voice thru the shutters, so i stop and pause, and hear nothing. i carry on and the a very clear, calm young male voice said 'hello' very monotone. i just shouts back 'hello? what do want mate?'. nothing comes back, i'm thinking bloody hell i'll never get out of here at this rate. so i then hear some mumbling thru the shutters and another faint 'hello'. i'm on my feet now and looking at the shutters wondering who was on the other side, 'hello, what up?' i said again' we're closed mate' . i then realised i was locked in on my own. i quickly went to the office and checked the cctv over the bar and no one. i tell you now i ran like heck out of there, the quickest lock up ever recorded i reckon, and still had to fumble with keys and unlock the door to get out, but i locked it back up and set the alarm and it never got tripped, so there wasn't anyone in there!

the second year there i was a warden and when we moved in in the format stated above, we had a girl who was into her 2nd year as a warden left in a gibbering state having to have someone sleep with her and she had seen a willow the whisp come under the door to her room and formed a face that hovered over the bed looking at her like the water thing in 'abyss', it then pulled back under the door. setting the trip light in the hallway off.
the ghost stroies continued thru that year and it was a consistant thing where people would see stuff or hear things. i found a headstone in the grounds laid in rememberance of a police sargeant who had hanged himself while posted there.
i found that when we were in there early, before the rooms were filled, i was very aware of the empty rooms all around, and could hear the building doing its thing and found it very eerie. don't like hotels either!

a member of my family has had sightings in her house during the day and night. i only mention this as someone earlier in the thread said sightings rarely happen in the day.

she was having a very bad pregnancy at the time and started to see a little girl in the house, the first time was when the girls face appeared thru the door and turned to watch her in bed. she has also felt her hand being held while in bed. but the most detailed sighting was during the day and she was taking a nap on the sofa in the lounge, the sofa faced towards the garden thru some french doors. well, she came to from her nap and was aware of someone standing in front of her, and it was a little girl. as she sat more upright the little girl laughed but no sound, like the mute button was on, and pointed at the faimliy members tummy, and turned and ran and skipped out the room thru the french doors, but she say's they weren't the same doors, and she could just see their own doors kinda underneath like the image she was watching was super imposed over it but slightly transparent. well the girl ran and skipped all the way down the garden which again wasn't like there own garden and disapeared thru the scrub and hedges at the bottom. this as you can understand, totally freaked her out. she did some asking around locally and found out that there had been a little girl either in the house at the bottom of the garden or in the house she lived in, it couldn't be remembered, and the two households knew each other well and the little girl would just run thru the hedge to get to each house. and that the young girl had died at a young age. very scary stuff.
she then went onto have another child, but the visions weren't as bad. she even named her, but a few years ago she said the girl was about again, and would sit on the stairs watching her do stuff in the hallway.
i once was sleeping there in a new annex they had built onto the back of the living room that had the french doors, well one night i heard the door open in the original lounge, and footsteps on the carpet coming towards me, and they stopped at the archway where the orignal build ended, and i could feel the something watching me. but then i did already know the stories and couldn't say if it was my brain playing tricks.

found out later that neither myself or my mother ever felt or feel totally at ease in that house, and in particular the upstairs front portion.

supposedly there is some elemnt of the gift in our family, and a memeber is known thru the older circles as being clarevoyant. i have seen her for a meeting and as a sceptic was absolutely dumbfounded by the experience. but thats another topic!
just thought i'd share.

Last edited:

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Excellent stories, thanks!

I've never seen or heard anything as interesting as has been told here, but my mum told me a story of when they were on holiday in France when she was in her late teens / early twenties. There were 4 of them in a car, 2 couples, and they stopped at the side of the road just to look at the scenery. My mum said that she then heard the sounds of battle going all around her, guns and explosions and screams etc. No one in the car said anything but when they stopped later that day, all 4 people had heard the same thing.

Mayor

Jun 10, 2009
Sweden
I was once out in the bush , a pretty marshy area with alot of forest where my family have a cabin, i had been out all day until it was well dark just sneaking through the brush looking at animals and exploring.
It was now night and everyone was sleeping, my sister was sleeping on the bottom of a bunkbed next to me.

Well into the night, i woke up, or so i thought, i felt really groggy, in the dim moonlight i could see a skinny creature standing hunched over at the head end of my sisters bed with its back towards me.
I get really scared and flinch and the creature sees me looking at him and gets equally scared and proceeds to jump up on the bunk over my sisters bed with the agility of a cat. I then wake up sweating heavily, panting like a dog.
I look at my watch; 02:30, think to myself; holy ****, that was one of most peculiar dreams ive ever had, and i shrug it off and go back to sleep.

It was a pretty scary dream, but in the morning when we wake up, my sister tells me her watch which had been laying on a small table at the head end between our beds, had stopped during the night and shows it too me, it had stopped at the exact time i had that strange dream.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE