This years first padle (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
As the lakes is free from ice a little sooner than expected I decided to go for this years first canoe camping.
My area of choise was my usual recreational area called Heggmoen.
I have been in the area many times before but not canoed these waters. My route was roughly planned from aerial photoes (ortophoto). I wanted to see how far up one of the streams I came. I had seen out a promising camping spot.
I set out after work. Loaded my canoe onto the car and drove of. The ruck was packed the evening before.

22595647.jpg

After mounting the trolley to the canoe I moved my canoe the first half kilometer by road.
When the road ended I had to carry the equipment down to the lake.

22595705.jpg

22629560.jpg

22595822.jpg

Finally the padle could begin. It was a light drizzle but I was very happy to finally be in my canoe. I had a fishing rod with me and tried trolling around the lake but no fish took the bait ( a mini rubber trout with a Zulu fly ahead).

22595889.jpg

22595944.jpg

I padled around a bit to see where I could go in a canoe, and as paddle training. I`ve just owned a canoe for a year.

22629594.jpg

22629634.jpg

The light rain stopped and it looked to be a fine evening.

22629737.jpg

I began to paddle up river. After a couple hundred meters I came to the first obstacle. I got out of the canoe and draged it over. After one more obtacle I finally arrived at my destination, or more correctly, 50 meters from my destination. I had to drag the canoe the last bit. If I had a pole I could have gone further, but I didn`t have one.

22596160.jpg

22596227.jpg

No I was pretty hungry and quickly set up my tent/tarp and got the fire going.

22596355.jpg

I ate freeze dried catfish stew with prawns. Army meal from REAL turmat. It was quite good actually. I`ve tasted some of their fish meals before and was not impressed. They are easy to prepare though. You only need hot water.
Some our later I had meal number two, blood sausage with brown sugar and bacon. Oh my, it is good.

22596471.jpg

The evening was rounded of with a good pipe and Slivovitz.

22631081.jpg

I woke up to the same weather as when I went to bed contrary to the weather forecast. They promised sun but it was actually cloudy. But I don`t complain, the weather was still warm, at least for a north norwegian.
I ate more blood sausage and bacon for breakfast and also made bannoks.

22596517.jpg

After I finished my meal I scouted the area around my camp. Not much to forage as the snow just have melted in the area. Lots of bird though, of all kinds. I heard the cookoo for the first time this year.

22596573.jpg

22596401.jpg

At noon I packed my equipment and headed down the creek and out into the lake. Again I tried my luck fishing, but still no catch. I saw several though, so I know they are there, those pesky creatures.

22596615.jpg

22596652.jpg

22596691.jpg

I paddled around the lakes other side and scouted a possible portage route for a later canoe journey.

22596735.jpg

The wind was blowing up and it was harder controlling the canoe so I decided to go home.
I can tell you that carrying the canoe from the water and up to the road was harder than to carry it down.

22596793.jpg

But I don`t complain. A trip like this is balsam for the mind and body, and I`m already planning a new one.

Tor

D

Dspec

Great Post Tor!

Solo Canoe camping is something that I have always wanted to try, very inspiring post.

I am thinking of hiring a canoe for the first trip, I have an area in mind and reckon I will be able to talk one of the local caravan parks into loaning me a canoe for an overnighter.

Any tips? I am a fairly experienced solo camper/bushwalker but the water adds a whole new element, I am guessing dry bags are the order of the day and was thinking of running a wet kit dry kit routine like when you are in the jungle?

cheers mate.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Great Post Tor!

Solo Canoe camping is something that I have always wanted to try, very inspiring post.

I am thinking of hiring a canoe for the first trip, I have an area in mind and reckon I will be able to talk one of the local caravan parks into loaning me a canoe for an overnighter.

Any tips? I am a fairly experienced solo camper/bushwalker but the water adds a whole new element, I am guessing dry bags are the order of the day and was thinking of running a wet kit dry kit routine like when you are in the jungle?

cheers mate.

I pack all my stuff in dry bags and then in an ordinary rucksack. Works fine.
A wet dry kit routine would probaly work, but I had only one set of clothes with me.
The only item I always have at least two of is wool socks. Below soaked legs and feets. Extra, dry socks are nice, but the pants will dry on my body.

22596295.jpg

My outher clothes are cotton/poly (Fjellreven) wich dry out very quickly while wearing them. I wear wool as an under layer.
If I should fall into the water and completely drench myself, a fire will provide warmth and dry out the clothes. This I have done before.

But then I`m one of those who thinks a life without a little discomfort is no life at all:) .

I never take any chances though. I mostly paddle close to land.
When alone you are in deep sh**t if you fall in the water in the middle of the lake. The water temperature up here (and many other places I`m sure) will quickly kill you.

Have a fun journey.

Tor

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Great pics and trip report, thanks for taking the time to share. You have a beautiful country.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
What a splendid country. I am very eager to go back to Scandinavia this summer with the Laavvu. Thanks for the trip report!

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE